Venison expiration - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Venison expiration

A friend and I were having a little debate about it and we also googled it and came up with various answers. I always went by 1 year in the freezer. By then it is always gone anyway. I have 2 steaks left that are a couple weeks over a year and I'll be making those at camp this weekend. I also have a few bigger packages of ground meat left. I went a little overboard on the ground meat last year. I vacuum pack all of the meat and no fat is added to the ground meat. I only add it if needed after it thaws. I will also add that I use the freezer portion of a side by side fridge in my basement. It is not a deep freezer so it does have an automatic defrost. This seemed to be another topic of debate online when determining usage terms. I had an extremely large and old chest freezer I got for free but didn't want to take it when we bought our new house. I rarely ever used a 1/3 of the space.

I'm just curious how long you guys keep/use deer meat left in the freezer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 01:44 PM
Part of the Community

Mine is all vacuum sealed and have used "hidden" roasts up to 3 years old. Would I use them as standalone steaks, no, but for something like chili or venison barley soup sure.

Those little buggers have a tendency to fall in between all sorts of other frozen foods and every time I put all of the contents of the chest freezer out on the basement floor to take inventory I always find something "new"!
Muzz, blackpowder and RacksnQuacks like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 03:17 PM

I also vacuum seal all of my game meats, and I use commercial-grade bags.
3 years is the oldest I've found roasts or steaks (some sausage as well for that matter).
All tasted just as good as the stuff harvested same or prior season.... but I've never had any last (or hide!) any longer than that to test.
A big contributing factor is having an actual deep-freezer that DOES NOT have an automatic defrost cycle. Keeping them deep frozen, and without temperature excursions, is critical to making the frozen goods last as long as possible while retaining freshness.
Once a year, I'll quickly unload the deep-freeze into two large, marine-grade igloo coolers, packed as tightly as possible, with a chunk of dry ice tossed in each. I unplug the freezer, open the drains, and set a 150 watt lamp inside, closing the lid so it's open just a crack. It defrosts the freezer in about 2 hours. I dry it out with towels, reload the frozen goods (taking a few extra minutes to make sure the oldest items are front and center) and fire it back up. Good to go for another year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 09:08 PM

I have not eaten 3 year old meat from the freezer, vac sealed or not but that is just me, 2 years old yes, it happens. One thing we do is package and freeze all our venison flat, then use cardboard boxes to repack and place them all in once frozen, a box with all roast and steaks, one with all back strap and burger, keeps them in one spot and you can sort thru and find the oldest ones, even place all your newest on the bottom, then you can rotate thru them easily. It allows you to stack more vertically too without stuff falling out the door.
RacksnQuacks likes this.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 09:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

I usually don’t have any left come fall. I vacuum seal my meat and have eaten sausage that was over two years old. It tasted fine. Freezer burn is a bigger issue for me
Muzz and RacksnQuacks like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I try and make my ground meat flat and I label each package with the date.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 09:57 PM
Sage

I have eaten 3 year old venison that was vacuum packed and I doubt anyone would have known it was not from the year it was cooked. Freezer burn is the enemy of frozen meat and if the meat is vacuum packed properly it will not get freezer burn.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I have eaten 3 year old venison that was vacuum packed and I doubt anyone would have known it was not from the year it was cooked. Freezer burn is the enemy of frozen meat and if the meat is vacuum packed properly it will not get freezer burn.
This. As long as it isn't freezer burned it is fine. Even regular packed meat that is property wrapped can stay good for a long time.
RacksnQuacks likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 07:46 AM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
I also vacuum seal all of my game meats, and I use commercial-grade bags.
3 years is the oldest I've found roasts or steaks (some sausage as well for that matter).
All tasted just as good as the stuff harvested same or prior season.... but I've never had any last (or hide!) any longer than that to test.
A big contributing factor is having an actual deep-freezer that DOES NOT have an automatic defrost cycle. Keeping them deep frozen, and without temperature excursions, is critical to making the frozen goods last as long as possible while retaining freshness.
Once a year, I'll quickly unload the deep-freeze into two large, marine-grade igloo coolers, packed as tightly as possible, with a chunk of dry ice tossed in each. I unplug the freezer, open the drains, and set a 150 watt lamp inside, closing the lid so it's open just a crack. It defrosts the freezer in about 2 hours. I dry it out with towels, reload the frozen goods (taking a few extra minutes to make sure the oldest items are front and center) and fire it back up. Good to go for another year.

I pretty much do the same to defrost mine except I wait till a good cold night where the temp gets down to at least the lower teens. Then I load everything in boxes and coolers into the back of the cart and let it defrost overnight.
RacksnQuacks likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 08:52 AM

I have eaten meat that was over 8 years old. It was in a regular chest freezer , not a frost free. No freezer burn and it should be good. The only other thing that may affect the meat, would be if it had a lot of fat on it, maybe the fat could turn rancid. I do not know for sure, as I try to trim all the fat off.
Asajoe1 and RacksnQuacks like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page