What days do you guys take off for rifle season ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

What days do you guys take off for rifle season ?

Curious as to what days you schedule off for hunting? I can’t get Monday off (even though opener is on a sat) but after that I can schedule off. Won’t be doe hunting but should the earlier the better be an option or do you try to schedule towards the end of the week ?
PA112Hunter likes this.

2E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:05 AM
Frequent Contributor

None. The best days are the Saturdays and the first Monday. Lots of people in the woods pushing the deer. I have those days off. I also hunt the last hour after work.
ruger300 and PA112Hunter like this.

A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work!
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:18 AM

Since the change back to split buck/doe seasons, I schedule off the first Thursday/Friday and 2nd Monday. Nets me 2 days of buck and 2 of Doe, but I usually end up with a full cooler by the end of Saturday and come home Sunday afternoon. Monday gets used for packaging, prepping jerky and starting on the pastrami and corned hams.
I should add I hunt private land for ML and rifle seasons, there's no one on it prior to my Thursday arrivals.
PA112Hunter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:18 AM

For me, first day is KING. You generally have the most people in the woods pushing the deer into those remote and secure bedding areas. The thickest, nastiest stuff you can find will get you a shot. Since that's on Saturday this year, you are good to go. After that, it depends on what happens that first day. If you tag out, awesome, you don't have to worry about it. I usually take vacation the first 2-3 days of rifle buck. I will take the entire following week when the seasons are concurrent if I have antlerless tags leftover just because I can basically shoot anything I see and that's a lot of fun.
Woods walker and PA112Hunter like this.

Previously JJ5C
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:41 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
All of em.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

Have both weeks scheduled off, wait, I retired so I'm always off. The 1st day is always the best but you can find deer on any of the other days. When I worked I always took the first week off and hunted after work the second week.
bobdoo likes this.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 12:12 PM
The Man

I take them all off unless it snows then im under contract to plow. I normally miss a couple days due to weather except last year hunted every day.
ruger300 likes this.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 12:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

I am required to take 5 full work days off in a row at one point each year (bank policy). We're going to camp in 3B on Friday the 6th (leave early in the morning), and coming back later on Tuesday the 10th. As I haven't taken my 5 days, I'm taking Thursday the 5th and Wednesday the 11th off. We will be up there for the last 1.5 days of Extended Bear, and the first few days of Buck/Doe.

That way, I have a day to do last minute stuff, and a day to relax before work. I may take the shotgun out on one or both of those days as well, and hunt 5D or 5C.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 12:57 PM

as i have retired i get to take all of those days off. the hunting Gods are finally smiling down on me.
Huntered and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 01:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

November 20 through December 15 😀

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page