Still Hunting Tips - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Question Still Hunting Tips

What tips do you have for still hunting?
Glass with binoculars after each step?
Play the wind
Go so slow a turtle could pass you?
CritterBuster and Dogface like this.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4- Christ died for our sins, was buried and rose again the third day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 01:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

Go slow. If you think you are moving slow, move slower. If you sweat, you are moving too fast. Use wind, rain, snow to make your approach much more quiet. I wouldnít use binos after each step, thatís more movement for the deer to see. You will bump deer but you will also see a lot of deer if you are doing it correctly. Plan a point to still hunt to and try to make it there by lunch time so when the other guys are leaving for lunch the bucks are running to you. If you can walk near or in a creek thatís also great.
Muzz, MntnHntr and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 01:56 PM

Leatherwood outdoors has some good tips on several of their videos.

While I enjoy still hunting, I'm not very good at it.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 01:59 PM
dce
Sage

Pretty close to 100% of my rifle hunting is still hunting the big woods of NC Pa.The first piece of advise I would give is to learn how to shoot offhand very well and practice.I firmly believe that over the past couple of decades of low pressure,at least in this part of the state,deer have evolved to lay down and let you walk past them,rather than run.Other than the obvious things like using the wind to your advantage,you want to try and start high and never move across an area that's open.Always walk in the shadows and always stop where you can shoot.Buy the best glass you can afford and use them religously.Deer will most likely.know you're there before you know they're there so being quiet isn't as important as you'd think.They just have to think that you're going to walk past without being seen.Because of that,you have to get a feel for where they bed so you can flank them,rather than walk right at them.That's probably one of the most important things.I go slow and I glass more than I walk.Most deer I either shoot them in their beds or just as they stand up.I've never had the need to shoot at a running deer.Deer usually lay in or against some sort of cover,be it a depression,next to a log or some grapevine tangles.I thoroughly dissect each piece of cover over and over before moving.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:26 PM
Part of the Community

All great advice. One thing to add which may be very obvious, is walk with your head up. I can't tell you how many times I've still hunted with my head lowered only to see a deer running off in the distance. Know how you are going to move from point A - B before physically moving.

Another obvious tip, have your weapon at the ready (on safety of course) not slung around your shoulder.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:52 PM
The Man

I plan to do a lot of still hunting the first week of rifle. Going to spend a couple days in Cameron County still hunting. Havenít hunted much with a rifle over the years but have with a flintlock. I like days with a lot of wind and I always walk into it. I will move quickly until I start approaching thick cover and then I slow down to a snails pace. Only take a few steps at a time and will try to keep big trees or other sorts of cover in front of me. Always scanning and looking for horizontal lines or white patches like ears and the throat patch. Always have the gun ready so you can shoulder it and get a shot off .

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 03:30 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
I plan to do a lot of still hunting the first week of rifle. Going to spend a couple days in Cameron County still hunting. Havenít hunted much with a rifle over the years but have with a flintlock. I like days with a lot of wind and I always walk into it. I will move quickly until I start approaching thick cover and then I slow down to a snails pace. Only take a few steps at a time and will try to keep big trees or other sorts of cover in front of me. Always scanning and looking for horizontal lines or white patches like ears and the throat patch. Always have the gun ready so you can shoulder it and get a shot off .
Some places are tough up there because of all the laurel but some places are a still hunter's dream.I used to hunt that cliff strait above the Willows.It was a miserable walk to the the very top but once you got up there,it was nice.There was a big long bench right below the top that went around the whole hill.I used to zig zag across the top,peaking over the sides onto the bench every 50 yards or so.I never went up there a single time without bringing a deer out.Sometimes getting them off that cliff was a real adventure though.I was closer to the bottom one time and shot a doe that was bedded on a small bench below me.It was so steep getting to the deer that to keep from sliding down I had to grab on to trees as I slid down.When I got down to her,I was right above that house that has the log sided garage on rt 872 but way above it.I thought about sliding her all the way down to 872 but there's a big drop off when you hit the road.That's a fun place to hunt.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 03:39 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
Some places are tough up there because of all the laurel but some places are a still hunter's dream.I used to hunt that cliff strait above the Willows.It was a miserable walk to the the very top but once you got up there,it was nice.There was a big long bench right below the top that went around the whole hill.I used to zig zag across the top,peaking over the sides onto the bench every 50 yards or so.I never went up there a single time without bringing a deer out.Sometimes getting them off that cliff was a real adventure though.I was closer to the bottom one time and shot a doe that was bedded on a small bench below me.It was so steep getting to the deer that to keep from sliding down I had to grab on to trees as I slid down.When I got down to her,I was right above that house that has the log sided garage on rt 872 but way above it.I thought about sliding her all the way down to 872 but there's a big drop off when you hit the road.That's a fun place to hunt.
Our camp is right off 872 a couple miles below the Dam. I walked up into the woods behind camp in May and it seemed okay but I am looking for a little better habitat. Woods were just a little too open for my taste. Havenít got to scout much up there with being so busy over the summer and with the rattlesnakes we were seeing crossing 872 not much desire to go for a hike when we did get a chance to go up there. Plus I had the whole family with me. Plan on hunting around home Saturday then heading up early Sunday to do some scouting. Thinking about maybe heading up by Brooks Run and looking around in that area. Will be at camp until Wednesday afternoon.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 08:55 PM

Use a short handy light weight rifle with a straight 4x scope, or at most a 2-7. Remove the sling if it has one on it. You also have to be in the right frame of mind to still hunt, if your hungry or have something on your mind, dont bother with it, you will move to fast. There really is no way to learn still hunting except by trial and error. Light misty rainy days are the best days. I am not an expert on the subject, just things I have learned over the years.
Mikeymjr23 likes this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 09:04 PM

one of the things I was taught about hunting is always keep the wind blowing in your face . good luck
Pahack likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page