The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Where were all the hunters today?

3K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  Whaler 
#1 ·
I hunted all day today in 2D. Had the inline and X bow, hunted from climber in morning, ladder stand in evening. Saw about 20 deer, a few small bucks. No bears.

I thought somehow I had my dates mixed up....I heard 2 shots ( probably miles away). No vehicles parked along the road, even the road hunters seemed to stay home.

Opening day of rabbit season was a big deal when I was a kid....right up there with opening day of rifle deer season. It sounded like the beginning of WW3 at 9:00AM back in the 60s and early 70s. Throw in squirrel, grouse, archery and muzzleloader deer, and muzzleloader bear...I thought there would have been a lot of folks in the woods. Granted, I was on a large tract of private ground, but the whole township is rural with a lot of small farms. It seemed like there wasn’t the participation I thought there would be. Although some may say, don’t complain, no competition is great....but it kinda makes one sad seeing such little interest and what it means for the future.

Did anyone else experience a similar day in the woods?

#6 · (Edited)
Some are, some aren’t. You would still have expected to have folks hunting the posted properties...owners, family, friends, folks who got permission etc.

The Allegheny River borders some of that ground, wasn’t a shot fired by waterfowl guys this morning. Normally there is a barrage fired at first light from the river bottom.

#7 ·
We had the second Saturday of our youth pheasant hunts today but while heading out there this morning I saw a number of vehicles parked that would have been either deer or bear hunting.

Then about 1100 I took the empty pheasant crates on about a five mile trip through a closed to vehicles section of the game lands to the crew headquarters building. I saw three hunters but only talked to one of them. He had a muzzleloader, had seen a number of deer and a sow bear with two cubs. Said he didn't get any shooting but could have shot the bear if he had a license.

After the pheasant hunt was over I headed out to muzzleloader hunt in the evening on a large Forest Game property. A few of their roads are open to DMAP holders. When I came out through the gate after dark there were three other trucks coming out at the same time. I didn't hear any shooting in the area though while I was hunting.

I was surprised at how much hunting activity I was seeing today.

Dick Bodenhorn

#10 ·
Big brownie not sure if you were going to pursue a bear if given the chance but you might want to look at this because with this bear muzzy season coming in some things aren't really clear.

Not trying to be the internet police just don't want anybody getting into trouble !!

Muzzleloader Bear Season - lawful sporting arms
As we approach the beginning of the muzzleloader bear season, the Game Commission reminds hunters that those pursuing bears with a muzzleloader must leave any archery tackle behind, even if they have a valid archery license and deer tag in addition to their bear license. However, those eligible to participate in the special firearm deer and bear seasons on October 24 -26th, are permitted to use other approved sporting arms, enabling those hunters to be in possession of both a rifle and archery equipment when hunting bear or antlerless deer. We recognize and apologize for the confusion stemming from the overlap of multiple seasons and the addition of the first ever October muzzleloader bear season. If the Board of Commissioners continues authorizing the muzzleloader bear season in future years, the Board may revisit the question of which sporting arms an individual may be in possession of during the overlap of the bear season with archery season. For more information on seasons please check the Hunting & Trapping Digest,

#16 · (Edited)
Took my Inline out for a neighborhood nuisance bear that circled my tree Tues. I read the reg on not carrying archery equipment so didn’t. Had 4 bucks come by at 20 yards including two heavy beamed shooters. Oh well, was a nice morning.

I’ve only seen 1 hunter so far and that was archery opening day. I’m not very remote yet either. It’s kind of surprising but guess others are waiting until late Oct/Nov.

#23 ·
I don’t think anybody believes they are magical, but everybody knows they are a deadly tool in the hands of any hunter. That gives a lot of opportunity before inline season comes in. I know a couple 6 year old kids that shot deer this year with crossbows. They ain’t doing that that with any other weapon. I was really surprised at the lack of hunters today though. I hunted until 11 and did hear a few shots. I drove around quite a bit checking cameras and didn’t see any large groups of guys hunting bear. I was thinking there would be a lot of bear hunters up this way.

#24 · (Edited)
I was second one in the SGL parking lot. Vehicles were pulling in while I was getting gear ready. Saw the back half of a deer walking behind me at 8:10. A few min. later some clown comes down the trail I used. I had to wave/whistle at him till he seen me. He then proceeds to stand about 70 yds. away, then shoots at a squirrel or something. He spends next couple hours walking around above me on the side of the mountain. I had to leave at 10:30, and saw him walking past above me, while I was packing up on the ground. Got to the parking lot and it was completely full. Some guys were going back to help pull an 8pt. out. It was 14 5/8", I taped it for him before I left. One trail runner came out to his vehicle. Some small game hunters pulled in as I was leaving. Most activity I've seen there in a long time. I'm alone up there on weekdays. Oh, not much shooting while I was there. Heard one muzzleloader down in the private lands.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.