Annual Rut Activity Thread - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Annual Rut Activity Thread

Post pre-rut, rut, post-rut activity in your area. Make sure to include WMU and any other information you feel is relevant.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss what rut activity you see in YOUR area. By now, we all know just because doe's are in estrous in your woods, they may not be in someone else'es.

4A

Small rubs starting to appear, nothing large enough to get me excited. Scrapes opening in my hunting area's usual scrape locations. Seem to be tended regularly. Have not seen any chasing.

Previously JJ5C

Last edited by JJ4D; 10-18-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 05:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

4C. Found Giant scrape September 21st along with some other smaller ones around white oaks. Found acouple others in the Red oaks and acouple more scrapes. This sign may have been due to possible doe activity also in the feeding areas?
JJ4D likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:36 PM

All of PA:

-Deer make scrapes year around
-the rut is a bell shaped curve. Somewhere in Penns woods there are doe's already being bred but most won't until November (just like every other year). I believe the peak is around Nov 10th.
-Hot weather does not shut down the rut
-Just because you aren't seeing any rutting activity doesn't mean 10 bucks aren't chasing a doe on the other side of the mtn.
-Just because you are around doe doesn't mean they are in heat and they might have already been bred.
CritterBuster, JJ4D and elk yinzer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:41 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter8319 View Post
All of PA:

-the rut is a bell shaped curve. Somewhere in Penns woods there are doe's already being bred but most won't until November (just like every other year). I believe the peak is around Nov 10th.
-Just because you aren't seeing any rutting activity doesn't mean 10 bucks aren't chasing a doe on the other side of the mtn.
-Just because you are around doe doesn't mean they are in heat and they might have already been bred.
Great points. I shot my biggest buck couple hours before dark as he was chasing a doe and it was 74 degrees on November 7th. He was chasing her all day with another big guy I assume he beat away from the doe. To increase my chances of the good part of the bell curve I focus on November 7th.
JJ4D and One Horn like this.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Some good info I think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg When_is_the_Rut_in_Pennsylvania2_1571363778286.jpg (40.9 KB, 54 views)
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosehunter2118 View Post
Great points. I shot my biggest buck couple hours before dark as he was chasing a doe and it was 74 degrees on November 7th. He was chasing her all day with another big guy I assume he beat away from the doe. To increase my chances of the good part of the bell curve I focus on November 7th.

My Rutcation this year runs from October 31st-November 15th. I will be in the woods all day every day.

Previously JJ5C
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:03 AM
The Man

Had a decent buck in the neighbor’s front lawn on the way to work this morning. First buck I have seen running around the neighborhood in months. Pretty good indication to me that the bucks are starting to travel more and changing their patterns. Noticed some scrapes opening up earlier this week and found a few real nice rubs. Also noticing a lot of bucks getting hit on the road this past week. Time for me to start hunting mornings because I think they are going to start getting back to bedding later and later .
JJ4D likes this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSY93 View Post
4C. Found Giant scrape September 21st along with some other smaller ones around white oaks. Found acouple others in the Red oaks and acouple more scrapes. This sign may have been due to possible doe activity also in the feeding areas?
That giant scrape is a community scrape. The doe's and bucks hit it frequently. Think of it as a "sign-in" sheet at a party or meeting. At that time, it has nothing to do with rutting activity, but eventually it may turn into a "receptive doe check station" for the bucks in the area.

Previously JJ5C
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:15 AM

Today is huntinlandscaper's birthday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter8319 View Post
All of PA:

This! Theres really biologically no such thing as an "early" rut. Bucks are ready to breed as soon as they shed velvet and "rutting" behavior can begin then and increases as the does begin to enter into heat........Its all based on the does estrous cycle!!!!!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinlandscaper View Post
This! Theres really biologically no such thing as an "early" rut. Bucks are ready to breed as soon as they shed velvet and "rutting" behavior can begin then and increases as the does begin to enter into heat........Its all based on the does estrous cycle!!!!!
Pre-rut is defined as the time where a bucks testosterone levels are extremely high and they are desperately searching for the first doe's to come into estrous. This is all the seeking phase.

Bucks can breed any time after velvet, but there is absolutely a time when their testosterone is at explosive levels, which is the seeking phase or, pre-rut.
Bigbrownie likes this.

Previously JJ5C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page