EHD effects? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

EHD effects?

So last year we experienced EHD in the Chester, and Berks county areas. I noticed a difference in the proportion of bucks in the areas I hunt. Many bucks would just vanish and then I'd get a call or text from a friend saying they found them dead a few properties over. During gun season we found we were seeing the same couple bucks and does for the season.

Currently I think our distribution of bucks is quiet skewed on a piece of property I hunt. So far I know of six 1.5yr olds, one 2.5yr old, one 4.5yr old, and one 5.5yr old.Normally, there is a much more diversity in what we're seeing on trailcam as well as in stand sightings.

Anybody else experiencing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 07:24 AM

That`s why you had EHD.To many deer.Mother nature thinning the herd.Sounds like you still have some great deer hunting.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 08:48 AM
Banned

I always thought EHD was from a biting midge fly and had nothing to do with how many deer you have? Where we hunt in Illinois the farmer who lets us hunt told us from what he sees when EHD pops up he noticed it seem takes the upper age class bucks. He said when he checks the water areas on his farms he mostly only finds big bucks dead. Rarely has he ever found a doe or the smaller bucks. I do not think the amount of deer has anything to do with EHD unlike CWD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338/378wm View Post
I always thought EHD was from a biting midge fly and had nothing to do with how many deer you have?
Yes, that is correct.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:34 PM

Area I hunted quite a bit in Missouri had EHD a few years back. There it did take out does but also older bucks. I saw the same thing that Ace is seeing now, tons of 1.5 year olds and a few of the older age structures that survived It was a really crazy year as those youngsters were chasing the does hard that year. Each year I watched the structure grow - 2.5 year olds everywhere. We let them grow as much as possible and now it is 6 or 7 years and we are pretty much back and probably better off as there are far more 4.5 + year olds that have grown into booners so the hunting today is probably better than ever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page