This may be a goofy thought, but..... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

This may be a goofy thought, but.....

….. I think I'm gonna do it. I picked out a good spot for a stand on my place. It's the one place that never had a stand built or put up (there are 50 other spots with stands). Anyhow, I'm getting to the point where any fall while climbing, probably would just about do me in, though I'm still in fair shape for my age I THINK. I came out of a 17' fall from a Cherry Tree while climbing, when I was 22 yrs old, pretty much just banged up a good bit. I kept hunting that day. That won't happen nowadays.

So, back to the spot I picked out. There's an Oak Plateau that splits 2 shallow hollows. If I can get up just about 8' off the ground, I can have a nice view into each of these hollows. I'm thinking of building a simple 6X6 frame 8' high, and lay a sheet of wulmanized plywood on it. THEN, and here's the goofy part, stick a 5x5 ground blind on it, and cinch it down to eyelets attached to the frame. That seems to be a quick way to get an enclosed blind (read a roof), economically, and without having to build half a house from lumber, in a tree.

Anybody ever do such a thing ? LOL

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:33 AM
The Man

Yes. I've done it. And it works. And I've seen it done where other people had the same setup that you're describing. Won't be so goofy when you shoot a deer out of it...
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:33 AM
Sage

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...k=Tower+stands

All ready available.
bohunr likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 10:07 AM

We did the exact thing and it works great
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 10:17 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My dad built a platform specifically for a ground blind. And being a carpenter, it was better than some folks decks at their house! Ground blind didn't survive a few bad winters, but the platform is still solid. Almost looks like someone drove away with their camper or trailer and left their deck behind.
bohunr likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 10:44 AM
Frequent Contributor

Seems rather silly to go through the effort for a ground blind but that's just my opinion. Take an extra day, frame out a box blind and lift it into place with a tractor or skid steer.
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 11:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Anytime you fall out of a treestand you need to go to the hospital and have xrays done people have died hours later from internal injuries...
bohunr likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 11:25 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo View Post
….. I think I'm gonna do it. I picked out a good spot for a stand on my place. It's the one place that never had a stand built or put up (there are 50 other spots with stands). Anyhow, I'm getting to the point where any fall while climbing, probably would just about do me in, though I'm still in fair shape for my age I THINK. I came out of a 17' fall from a Cherry Tree while climbing, when I was 22 yrs old, pretty much just banged up a good bit. I kept hunting that day. That won't happen nowadays.

So, back to the spot I picked out. There's an Oak Plateau that splits 2 shallow hollows. If I can get up just about 8' off the ground, I can have a nice view into each of these hollows. I'm thinking of building a simple 6X6 frame 8' high, and lay a sheet of wulmanized plywood on it. THEN, and here's the goofy part, stick a 5x5 ground blind on it, and cinch it down to eyelets attached to the frame. That seems to be a quick way to get an enclosed blind (read a roof), economically, and without having to build half a house from lumber, in a tree.

Anybody ever do such a thing ? LOL
Doesn't sound Goofy at all Cool Idea , go for it.
bohunr likes this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 11:27 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk313 View Post
Anytime you fall out of a treestand you need to go to the hospital and have xrays done people have died hours later from internal injuries...
I think it's a Little Late for that, didn't Fleroo say he was 22 at the time of the fall.
bohunr and LIVTOHUNT like this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 11:39 AM

I don't think it's goofy at all.
One my buddy's blinds started out the same way... we built the platform out of pt lumber one spring (6' high with a 6'x6' deck, set of stair coming off one side) and he used a pop-up blind on it for 2 seasons.
By the 3rd he had enough scrounged and leftover materials from other projects to enclose it, but it worked just fine for him with the pop-up on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page