The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Does it bother you?

5K views 56 replies 27 participants last post by  jimbridger 
#1 ·
Does seeing an ear tag or collar on a big game animal while hunting bother you? I’m asking because I saw a bear last evening, we were in the woods and it didn’t know I was there. It was cool watching him (I think) for awhile, but he had a bright yellow tag on his ear. For whatever reason this took the “wildness” out of the experience for me, if that makes sense. Not saying the pgc shouldn’t do this, I know the reasons and they’re legit. Anyone else feel like this?

#5 ·
Wouldn't bother me either. To me, anyways, killing that bear/deer/elk with a tag helps research. If said animal lived its life till death being passed up because of tag/collar no information could be gathered about its life or location if the carcass or tag was never found. Plus like wily said you may find out it was a nuisance bear that was transplanted from far away and it would have a story to go along with it. I'm sure others know far more about the subject than I do but other than collars (which I'm sure the PGC/college studies keeps) do you get to keep the tags in the ear and you just have to call a 1-800 number like a banded waterfowl? Sure would be cool to have tag kept with trophy.

#9 ·
I don't know how seeing a tag in a bears ear takes the wildness out of anything. The tag can stand for several things, it was a nuisance bear that was moved if it continues to be a nuisance after being moved the officers can tell by the tag numbers and solve the problem permanently, not something they want to do but must be done. The tag could be an animal that is or was part of a research program or population study of bears. I assure you, that tag did not remove any wildness from the bear you saw. The bear in this picture woke up and tried to stand while I was straddling him, I assure you I had no doubt about his wildness.>:)

#11 ·
I get what you’re saying and I prefer not seeing them as well even though I think it’s vital for research. Five or six years ago during bear season my group shot a very big old boar. When the game warden checked it over he was surprised to find no indication that the bear was ever trapped or tagged . I thought that was kind of cool knowing a animal that big survived that long avoiding capture. Especially knowing how many are trapped and relocated in that particular area.

#12 ·
Doesn't bother me at all, this is not Alaska.
Us the people invaded the Animals territory they didn't make Pa. less wild we did. I've seen several Bears around Camp with ear tags.
Had one Bear years ago coming around Camp with two tags on it's ears.
His nickname was Two Tags.

#13 ·
Doesn’t bother me seeing them but if 2 similar sized bears came out together in bear season one with a tag or collar the other without.....I’d shoot the untagged/uncollared one. I’m not familiar enough with the tagging program to be sure of the source of the tagged/collared animal. If only the tagged bear presented a shot......it would be a decision I’d make at the time but most likely I’d shoot.

#19 ·
He was sleeping from being drugged we had pulled a tooth and tatooed the inside of his lip , some of the other guys wanted his head up to take pictures, his head was very heavy so I straddled him to hold his head up, that is when he decided to wake up and try to stand. Too bad no one got a pic of my dismount. >:)

Reactions: jimbridger
#23 ·
Does seeing an ear tag or collar on a big game animal while hunting bother you?
Nope. In all honesty, I kinda enjoy bagging tagged game or fish.
Caught quite a few tagged fish over the years, sea bass, stripers, flounder, tog...
Calling in the tag# usually gets you a certificate and a hat, sometimes other trinkets, but the best part is getting the detail on when & where it was tagged, it's length and weight at the time. Paints a nice picture of how the move/migrate and grow. Gives a bit of "life history" for the animal.

#27 ·
Doesn’t bother me at all.
It makes an already fascinating animal, even more so to me. Wondering what the history of the bear is, or was.
I’ve been fortunate to harvest a bunch of banded waterfowl, and its always a special thing to learn about the history.

#34 ·
I went on a bear den check with the PGC and they tagged all 5 cubs with red ear tags, and replaced the radio coller on momma bear. if it was a tag for removing a nuisance bear then I think that bear should be harvested then.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.