Does it bother you? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Does it bother you?

Does seeing an ear tag or collar on a big game animal while hunting bother you? I’m asking because I saw a bear last evening, we were in the woods and it didn’t know I was there. It was cool watching him (I think) for awhile, but he had a bright yellow tag on his ear. For whatever reason this took the “wildness” out of the experience for me, if that makes sense. Not saying the pgc shouldn’t do this, I know the reasons and they’re legit. Anyone else feel like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Wound not bother me as I would think that beer has been moved for being in a less wild area and being a problem.
bohunr, bob1961 and Potter Co. Joe like this.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

no ,it doesn`t bother me personally. I think it ads a bit history to the animal. as far as why he got it ,where he got it.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:45 AM
Frequent Contributor

No difference between a tagged bear and a banded duck. A documented history of a wild animal is a rare addition to the harvest.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:46 AM
Part of the Community

Wouldn't bother me either. To me, anyways, killing that bear/deer/elk with a tag helps research. If said animal lived its life till death being passed up because of tag/collar no information could be gathered about its life or location if the carcass or tag was never found. Plus like wily said you may find out it was a nuisance bear that was transplanted from far away and it would have a story to go along with it. I'm sure others know far more about the subject than I do but other than collars (which I'm sure the PGC/college studies keeps) do you get to keep the tags in the ear and you just have to call a 1-800 number like a banded waterfowl? Sure would be cool to have tag kept with trophy.
bohunr likes this.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Maybe it’s all a matter of perspective 🙂
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:50 AM

Yes it does change the way I view that animal. I understand these tags help us understand them better but to me it is like catching a stocked fish that was put there as an adult. It is not a complete turn off but it lessens the experience for me just a bit. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bothers me when the tags on a coyote ear is a NJ tag.
jimbridger and bohunr like this.

4B
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyb1815 View Post
Does seeing an ear tag or collar on a big game animal while hunting bother you? I’m asking because I saw a bear last evening, we were in the woods and it didn’t know I was there. It was cool watching him (I think) for awhile, but he had a bright yellow tag on his ear. For whatever reason this took the “wildness” out of the experience for me, if that makes sense. Not saying the pgc shouldn’t do this, I know the reasons and they’re legit. Anyone else feel like this?
I don't know how seeing a tag in a bears ear takes the wildness out of anything. The tag can stand for several things, it was a nuisance bear that was moved if it continues to be a nuisance after being moved the officers can tell by the tag numbers and solve the problem permanently, not something they want to do but must be done. The tag could be an animal that is or was part of a research program or population study of bears. I assure you, that tag did not remove any wildness from the bear you saw. The bear in this picture woke up and tried to stand while I was straddling him, I assure you I had no doubt about his wildness.

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

I get it WW, Certainly not saying the bear is any less wild. Maybe it’s a deeper thing for me, like I know another predator already had that animal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page