The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Trail camera security?

2K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  beagler 
#1 ·
What do you guys use to secure your trail cameras on public land?

#10 ·
I use the python locks on all of mine. I also don't buy super expensive cameras. I've never had one stolen(knock on wood), but I did have some guy spin one around the tree 180degrees just to mess with me.

If someone wants to take it, smash it, shoot it, they're going to do it. For me the Python lock provides enough protection so someone doesn't just walk off with it, and most people don't hunt with any knife or tool heavy enough to cut it.

#15 ·
I run 24 cameras and I keep most of them at normal height ! Some I have hidden in stumps, mounds of dirt,rock piles or even uprooted trees without straps on them ! I don't have any of mine locked up just have the std strap on them ! I have only had one stolen and mine are out 24/7 about 330 days of the year ! I do hike way back in and try to hide them good !

#20 ·
Any amount of money spent on security is a complete waste of money. Guys heading into the woods with intent to steal cameras and other gear are carrying angle grinders with cutoff wheels.

I hang cams that no longer work in areas that other hunters would most likely walk through and position my functioning cams in hard to reach spots off the beaten trail. Haven't lost of functioning cam in many years. My broken cams disappear every year.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.