The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Does anyone miss two weeks of buck and doe

9K views 131 replies 51 participants last post by  Fleroo 
#1 ·
With seeing the pgc proposals for next year to help with this spread of cwd why not go back to this. I think that would be better then more doe tag allocations. I feel like I’m the only one that misses the two weeks of buck n doe.

#6 ·
I do, I started hunting in 2004 so my first 10 years were with the concurrent rifle season and honestly rifle season hasn’t been the same since. I personally hunt for meat rather than horns so I’d gladly take the extra doe opportunity with a rifle over being forced to only take bucks the first week

I personally believe that the change back to the concurrent season would do far more to bring hunters back to the sport than switching to the Saturday opener.

#7 ·
i would like the two weeks of buck and doe or going back to two weeks of buck and 3 days of doe. either way is OK. i agree with 41magfan, moving opening day to Saturday was STOOOPID.

BUT...on the bright side...i bagged my first deer of the season tonight. i got a nice mature doe on a red tag deer damage farm. made a 221 yard, one shot kill using a set of homemade shooting sticks. hunted over a huge soybean field. farmer was thrilled as much as i am. i have her quartered and in the fridge. off to the processor on monday for some smoked venison.

#10 ·
I was against the change from the start. At the time, our Biologist were saying the harvest of doe was determined by allocation and not days of the season.

So, why change it to one week buck, one week concurrent?? (Not talking about SRA's...not real sure what they went through?)

Enough people complained for change.

I would favor going back to concurrent.

#17 ·
I liked the separated seasons better. Sometimes I'll have doe come by me when they're legal and let them go by in hopes a buck is with them, if I haven't tagged one, then shot at a doe is gone with no buck in tow. My decision of course, you gotta shoot'em when you see'em, but would feel better about not seeing a buck if I was not allowed to shoot a doe. If all that makes sense.
And by the same token if I have to let a buck go by because it's doe only then I can ask him "Where were you all last week?" like he was late for work.
And with that said anymore I'm just happy it's deer season, escaping daily reality deer or no deer.

#21 ·
As someone else mentioned the herd size is determined by tag allocations ... go back to the concurrent schedule and the tag allocation will get cut and probably dramatically so. Then you'll have guys whining on here about how they didn't get whatever tag it is they wanted. And forget about getting a second round tag someplace other than the special regs areas.

While I may miss the opportunity that first week provides - I don't miss pink envelope game. As it is now - everyone basically gets their first choice in the first round as long as they don't totally drop the ball - Even if you don't pick the right county treasurer or get it in the mail on Friday or remember to drop off the box of donuts to the girls in the office handling the envelopes. This year - I got a 2F in the first round and was able to get a 3A tag for both me and my son in the 2nd round ... There's no way I ever would've gotten that 3A tag with a two week concurrent season. We're going to take advantage of that 3A tag during the early muzzleloader season (which also overlaps with ML bear season).

My own opinion and preference is I'd rather have a couple different tags so I have the opportunity to spend more time in the woods including muzzleloader, archery, rifle, and flintlock season.

#32 ·
I didn't like full concurrent. I don't like the concurrent DMAPs most of the state forest I hunt now. Weekday doe season obviously makes zero sense also in todays day and age there is 0.0 chance it'll ever go back to that. I guess like the way it currently is out of all the non-radical options. I don't tremendously care either, archery season is the main event and rifle season is mostly a sideshow but I do enjoy the tradition of it.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.