What's Your Biggest Weakness As a Hunter?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

What's Your Biggest Weakness As a Hunter??

First note, I saw this on another forum, but thought it would be a great thread here.

What do you consider your biggest weakness as a hunter? What keeps you from consistently killing deer, or killing the type of deer you wish you could kill had you not had this specific weakness (or multiple weaknesses)?

I have a few, no doubt. Here they are and I'm not afraid to share them.

1. I have a hard time sitting still
2. I think I know more than I really do and fool myself from time to time. The deer always seem to humble me.
3. Sometimes, I'm too aggressive.
4. Buck Fever...

Looking forward to your openness here...

Thx-JJ
bohunr likes this.

Previously JJ5C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:49 PM
Part of the Community

My biggest weakness is a lack of time. Killing deer is never a problem for me. Killing big deer is the problem i have. I think if there is one single thing i could do to improve on that it would be to spend more time securing permission to more and better properties. Spend more time off season scouting, i don't spend near as much time scouting as i used to.
bohunr and JJ4D like this.
post #3 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:55 PM
Banned

Biggest among others would be patience!
bohunr, OAWC and JJ4D like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Probably my biggest weakness is I feel I always have to be hunting when the season is in. Every year I say I don't have to sit all day in the rain and cold and it's okay to take a day and relax, but just haven't been able to do it yet.

The older I get the better I was.
post #5 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.Bone View Post
Probably my biggest weakness is I feel I always have to be hunting when the season is in. Every year I say I don't have to sit all day in the rain and cold and it's okay to take a day and relax, but just haven't been able to do it yet.
Man, I can relate to this 100%!
bohunr, SRA-5C+ and Pa.Bone like this.

Previously JJ5C
post #6 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.Bone View Post
Eats you up wondering what you’re missing.
bohunr, Pa.Bone and JJ4D like this.
post #7 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:03 PM

My biggest weakness now is my legs. Short version is I was born with severe structural defects to both legs, had a ton of surgeries as a kid to be able to walk. Unfortunately, long-term durability was never an expectation, and now I basically have arthritis on par with most septuagenarians. It's no longer possible for me to drag deer more than about 50', and walking through mud/deep snow or broken ground is not good. 95% of my hunting is limited to the blind/stand these days. Every now and then, when conditions are right, I can manage a stalk, usually at the price of pain and swelling the next day or three. I've built permanent blinds in a few locations around the property over the last few years to minimize the "need" to stalk, and ride whenever possible. A knee injury over 4th of July Weekend this summer has relegated me to the blind for the upcoming seasons.
Some call it "lazy hunting"... I call it "hunting smarter".
post #8 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:34 PM

My biggest weakness at this point in my life is my age, at 72 I don`t don`t walk as far in as I did 20 some years ago and hunt from a ladder stand instead of a climber and mostly evenings, That being said, I can still draw my Hoyt @ 62lbs and hit what I shoot at, but I have to make sure I can get help dragging my buck out these days. It seems the hills here in Pa. are a lot steeper than they were when I was 40, that's for sure....

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #9 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
My biggest weakness now is my legs. Short version is I was born with severe structural defects to both legs, had a ton of surgeries as a kid to be able to walk. Unfortunately, long-term durability was never an expectation, and now I basically have arthritis on par with most septuagenarians. It's no longer possible for me to drag deer more than about 50', and walking through mud/deep snow or broken ground is not good. 95% of my hunting is limited to the blind/stand these days. Every now and then, when conditions are right, I can manage a stalk, usually at the price of pain and swelling the next day or three. I've built permanent blinds in a few locations around the property over the last few years to minimize the "need" to stalk, and ride whenever possible. A knee injury over 4th of July Weekend this summer has relegated me to the blind for the upcoming seasons.
Some call it "lazy hunting"... I call it "hunting smarter".
It's not lazy when you have to put forth 100% effort to do it....

Sorry to hear about your issues, glad though that you can still enjoy the sport. I hope you have a terrific season!
bohunr, Danesdad, OAWC and 1 others like this.

Previously JJ5C
post #10 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NECK SHOT View Post
Biggest among others would be patience!

That makes two!!!!
bohunr and OAWC like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page