Youth Field Day History - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Youth Field Day History

I'm looking for information on when and where the first Youth Field Day was held.

I know it started in one of the counties in the Northwest region. Maybe Mercer County or one of the surrounding counties. I know the Game Commission's Northwest Regiion I&E Supervisor Bob MacWilliams and a group of sportsmen started it and held the first one in the early 1990's.

Does anyone know what county and the year? Was anyone on this site at the first one?

Dick Bodenhorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:21 PM

I know Butler County held their first one in 1992 at Butler City Hunting and Fishing Club. Not sure if there were others held earlier in other counties.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
I know Butler County held their first one in 1992 at Butler City Hunting and Fishing Club. Not sure if there were others held earlier in other counties.
That very well could have been the first one. I'm not sure though.

Does anyone else have any information about the early years?

Dick Bodenhorn

Last edited by R. S. B.; 08-15-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:11 AM
Banned

I think it bounced around a few years early on in butler county before butler city gave it its permanent home. I know some of the other directors at BCHFC have been involved since the beginning. I probably won’t see them till the beginning of next month but I’ll ask when I get the chance. I’ve been helping for about 6 or seven years. It really is a great day. Usually get close to 300 kids.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:57 AM
Sage

Back in the early 90s our club hosted a YFD on a rotating basis with three other clubs for several years. It was started by Jim Barrett, from Mt. Holly Fish and Game and spanned Cumberland and Adams counties. Great turnouts, participation from PGC, Fish and Boat, DCNR, National Guard, Sheriff's departments and many others.

We stopped participating a few years after Barrett passed away and one of the most obnoxious couples I've ever had to deal with, took it over. Two field days with them in charge and that was it for our club. Far as I know it continues, with better leadership.

Tim Grenoble was still our local WCO at the inception, so he might remember when the first one was held, Dick? Give him a call. I hear all he does is sleep now, since he retired in March.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF View Post
Back in the early 90s our club hosted a YFD on a rotating basis with three other clubs for several years. It was started by Jim Barrett, from Mt. Holly Fish and Game and spanned Cumberland and Adams counties. Great turnouts, participation from PGC, Fish and Boat, DCNR, National Guard, Sheriff's departments and many others.

We stopped participating a few years after Barrett passed away and one of the most obnoxious couples I've ever had to deal with, took it over. Two field days with them in charge and that was it for our club. Far as I know it continues, with better leadership.

Tim Grenoble was still our local WCO at the inception, so he might remember when the first one was held, Dick? Give him a call. I hear all he does is sleep now, since he retired in March.

Why that lazy bum. I don't have a number for him since he retired. But, I think I might know someone who does.

But, I also know better than to take you word for how his would be handling retirement, or for that matter much of anything else, too.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

My dad took my brother and I to the McKean county youth field day a couple years. That had to be in the early 90s. I can’t remember where it was but I’m thinking the Crosby area. I remember it being a lot of fun and we got a bag with some turkey calls and a grunt call in it. I wore the orange hat i got for years.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:04 PM
The Man

Don't know if it was the first, but I found this posted on my clubs website (Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers Association):

Youth Field Day

Capital Area Sportsmen for Youth

The Capital Area Sportsmen for Youth was formed in February 1993 with the sole purpose of organizing a Youth Field Day Program. As you can see by the logo and name, there is no one individual, organization or agency solely behind this effort.
2018 will mark the 26th year the program has been offered in this area for boys and girls from the ages of 8 to 16. The youth will participate in a wide variety of the following activities: archery, fishing, fly tying, fur taking and trapping, boating safety, canoeing, a Cherokee Run obstacle course and closely supervised shooting events.
All youths will have the opportunity to learn about topics such as conservation, taxidermy, wildlife rehabilitation and outdoor safety. The Stony Valley Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation will also be represented. The youth will see and learn about wild turkeys, visit a campsite where people in colonial dress will explain how our ancestors once lived, and have the youth sample food cooked on an open fire.
As with every event sponsored by the various affiliated sportsmenís organizations, safety is the number one priority. There are responsible, knowledgeable adults closely supervising each and every activity. Radio and cellular communications are at every activity station. Every precaution is taken to ensure that each Youth Field Day participant integrates ethical outdoor conduct with having a good time. The event is totally free of charge to all youth registered. All equipment is provided at each station. There will be hats, T-shirts, lunch and goody bags for all registered youths. There are also door prizes to be given away. All equipment is provided and there is no charge.
DennyF likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:27 PM
Sage

But, I also know better than to take your word for how he would be handling retirement, or for that matter much of anything else, too.

Dick Bodenhorn

Talked to him before he gave 'er up and asked him what he had lined up. IIRC, he said something close to "whatever she had in mind"? Told him that's pretty much how that worked at our house when I retired.

Had to remodel our kitchen several years ago, so we could get a bigger fridge. Wasn't enough room on the old one, for all them Honey Do lists that kept popping up.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
Don't know if it was the first, but I found this posted on my clubs website (Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers Association):

Youth Field Day

Capital Area Sportsmen for Youth

The Capital Area Sportsmen for Youth was formed in February 1993 with the sole purpose of organizing a Youth Field Day Program. As you can see by the logo and name, there is no one individual, organization or agency solely behind this effort.
2018 will mark the 26th year the program has been offered in this area for boys and girls from the ages of 8 to 16. The youth will participate in a wide variety of the following activities: archery, fishing, fly tying, fur taking and trapping, boating safety, canoeing, a Cherokee Run obstacle course and closely supervised shooting events.
All youths will have the opportunity to learn about topics such as conservation, taxidermy, wildlife rehabilitation and outdoor safety. The Stony Valley Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation will also be represented. The youth will see and learn about wild turkeys, visit a campsite where people in colonial dress will explain how our ancestors once lived, and have the youth sample food cooked on an open fire.
As with every event sponsored by the various affiliated sportsmenís organizations, safety is the number one priority. There are responsible, knowledgeable adults closely supervising each and every activity. Radio and cellular communications are at every activity station. Every precaution is taken to ensure that each Youth Field Day participant integrates ethical outdoor conduct with having a good time. The event is totally free of charge to all youth registered. All equipment is provided at each station. There will be hats, T-shirts, lunch and goody bags for all registered youths. There are also door prizes to be given away. All equipment is provided and there is no charge.
I know the first one was in one of the counties in the Northwest region. Possibly Butler County. But, other counties picked it up and the number of counties doing them grew rapidly. I am pretty sure the first one was in either 1991 or 1992.

We started doing them in Elk County in 1994. But, I would still like to learn, for sure, what year and county held the first one.

Dick Bodenhorn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page