Population increasing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Have property in 3C and the last few years have been pretty good sighting and hunting wise. Plenty of doe, much better than it was post HR. Pretty low hunting pressure though in my immediate area. This past Friday had 13 Antlerless in the clover plot before dark and half were fawns. I’m beginning to think populations are going parabolic. In anyone else in the northern tier noticing a steady increase in deer populations last five years or so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:09 AM

In 3C also. Don't know about a steady increase but I think there is less hunting pressure than in years past, so less being taken. I believe this particular area which is farming has too many deer for the past 4-5 yrs, at least for now. Drive about 2 miles off the main road and in spring and fall, can often count 40-60 deer in the fields within those 2 miles. All private land of course and some unhuntable due to residences etc.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:36 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Well a whole lot less hunting pressure then 20 years ago.(especially rifle season)I said I believe it has to bounce back. Definitely seeing more deer in 4d then 5-10 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:14 PM

Iv'e said for years that at some point in the near future, too many deer will be the problem, not too few. Here in 1A, it's a problem now.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:33 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
In 3C also. Don't know about a steady increase but I think there is less hunting pressure than in years past, so less being taken. I believe this particular area which is farming has too many deer for the past 4-5 yrs, at least for now. Drive about 2 miles off the main road and in spring and fall, can often count 40-60 deer in the fields within those 2 miles. All private land of course and some unhuntable due to residences etc.
I grew up in 3B,right on the border of 3C.Although I've been gone for 30 years,I still make it back and hunt every year.The last two years I've hunted in 3C and saw more deer both years than I've ever seen,anywhere.I actually lost track of how many deer I saw after 11:00am.That and the lack of hunters is amazing.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:44 PM

Legal bucks still seem to make themselves scarce though when the shooting starts.
Paddy-06 and GuyO like this.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:54 PM
dce
Sage

We strictly go up to hunt doe but see multiple bucks every time we hunt there.Growing up in the early 80's,we saw plenty of deer but I was lucky to get a crack at one legal buck per year and it was a dink.Now,I see way more deer,more bucks in a day than I used to see in a year and some very big one's.My son and I filled the 4 tags we had by 10:30am last year on the first saturday.We got back to my brothers house and sat around the rest of the day.Around 3:00pm deer started pouring into his one field like it was August.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'm in 3C and wish I could see a lot deer where I hunt in Wayne County, not so much in this neck of the woods.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
We strictly go up to hunt doe but see multiple bucks every time we hunt there.Growing up in the early 80's,we saw plenty of deer but I was lucky to get a crack at one legal buck per year and it was a dink.Now,I see way more deer,more bucks in a day than I used to see in a year and some very big one's.My son and I filled the 4 tags we had by 10:30am last year on the first saturday.We got back to my brothers house and sat around the rest of the day.Around 3:00pm deer started pouring into his one field like it was August.
Same here, was done at 9am with two adult doe one of which was a hog. Buck opener shot my buck out of a group of about 8 deer at 8:45am. My friend saw about two dozen doe first Saturday but didn’t have any doe tags. I feel like it’s starting to feel like 2000 again but now with some big bucks.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:48 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I hunt Susquehanna County for turkeys and Wayne for deer. Just driving around Susquehanna in the spring is amazing. Lots of deer every where. Deer are a little more spotty in upper Wayne. I don't see as many while driving or hunting. But we have been fairly successful killing deer but it still takes some work. Rarely easy or quick on the property we hunt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page