Upcoming meetings cancelled - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Exclamation Upcoming meetings cancelled

Release 50=19

The Board of Game Commissioners has cancelled two upcoming meetings because neither can be attended by a quorum of game commissioners.

The eight-member board currently has a vacancy in the northwest. Due to schedule conflicts with several other commissioners, there was not a quorum of commissioners available to attend the meetings. A meeting quorum is six commissioners.

The first cancelation is a board working group meeting scheduled for Aug. 19 at the agency’s Harrisburg headquarters. Working group meetings allow for an exchange between the Board of Game Commissioners and Game Commission staff ahead of regular quarterly meetings. Working group meetings are open to the public.

The board also cancelled its fourth quarterly meeting, scheduled for Sept. 30 and Oct. 1 in Erie. At quarterly meetings, the board hears public comment and staff reports on the first day and takes up a prepared agenda on the second. Quarterly meetings also are open to the public.

The next meeting of the Board of Game Commissioners is a working group meeting scheduled for Dec. 17 at the agency’s Harrisburg headquarters. The board will hold its first quarterly meeting Jan. 26-28, 2020.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 06:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The good news is: There will not be any bone headed decisions made to next year.
outofstater likes this.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.

Last edited by Coureur De Bois; 08-05-2019 at 06:26 PM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 07:08 PM
Sage

Kinda like when the general assembly is not in session, they can;t do anything to hurt us.
Danesdad and Bigbrownie like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 08-14-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

While some may say at least they won't/can't make any bone head decisions the fact remains these folks have a job to do--PERIOD.
It's truly sad that they cannot find the time to do their jobs, and also allow those who pay their salaries to sit down, and attend.
I guess--maybe--just maybe they don't want to hear what the public may have to say??
It's not just a PGC issue--it's an issue across the entire world of state agencies where they do what they want, when they want, how they want, and really have no desire to hear, or have any input from the public, or have no desire to be accountable to those who ask, or raise any concerns what so ever.
I know many here at the forum may not agree with me with my thoughts on what I typed--that's ok.
I find it no surprise at all to hear of this news.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by curverbowruss View Post
While some may say at least they won't/can't make any bone head decisions the fact remains these folks have a job to do--PERIOD.
It's truly sad that they cannot find the time to do their jobs, and also allow those who pay their salaries to sit down, and attend.
I guess--maybe--just maybe they don't want to hear what the public may have to say??
It's not just a PGC issue--it's an issue across the entire world of state agencies where they do what they want, when they want, how they want, and really have no desire to hear, or have any input from the public, or have no desire to be accountable to those who ask, or raise any concerns what so ever.
I know many here at the forum may not agree with me with my thoughts on what I typed--that's ok.
FYI, the Commissioners don't get paid a salary.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.

Last edited by RyanR; 08-14-2019 at 02:27 PM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curverbowruss View Post
First of all people need to understand that they don't pay the Commissioner's salaries. No one pays their salary because they are volunteer positions and get no salary. Even though they get no salary they still have to be confirmed through the Senate to be appointed to the Board.

Right now the Senate is behind on filling the vacant Commissioner's seat for the Northwestern district of the state. That means they are down one of the eight Commissioners simply because the Senate has not lived up to their responsibilities.

Since they are volunteers, with fulltime jobs and careers, they can't always be available for al of the meetings. As it currently stands, with an empty position anytime two of them can't attend a meeting they don't have the quorum required by law to conduct business.

Dick Bodenhorn
Dean Conklin likes this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
First of all people need to understand that they don't pay the Commissioner's salaries. No one pays their salary because they are volunteer positions and get no salary. Even though they get no salary they still have to be confirmed through the Senate to be appointed to the Board.

Right now the Senate is behind on filling the vacant Commissioner's seat for the Northwestern district of the state. That means they are down one of the eight Commissioners simply because the Senate has not lived up to their responsibilities.

Since they are volunteers, with fulltime jobs and careers, they can't always be available for al of the meetings. As it currently stands, with an empty position anytime two of them can't attend a meeting they don't have the quorum required by law to conduct business.

Dick Bodenhorn
RSB nails it again, Thanks Dick for again educating those who do not fact check their information before they just spew it from behind a keyboard....

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:34 PM
Banned

Is there any real reason they haven’t filled the northwest seat? Do they even have prospects?

Of course the snark in me wants to say that they haven found a “puppet” that properly fits their hand, but that would be rude.
pchunter1231 and Laylow like this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My take is if you can't make the meetings turn down the post. If I want to volunteer my chances are slim and none and I bet I have a better take as to what is going on out in the field and with the PGC. I'd be there a day ahead of time on my own dime. I always said a half hour early is still 45 minutes late.

"Even though they get no salary they still have to be confirmed through the Senate to be appointed to the Board. Scratch my back I'll scratch yours." Bet they get some kind of gratuity.

Why yes barkeep I'll have an extra desert and another round.
pchunter1231 likes this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
Is there any real reason they haven’t filled the northwest seat? Do they even have prospects?

Of course the snark in me wants to say that they haven found a “puppet” that properly fits their hand, but that would be rude.
I don't know how far along they are in the process. I do know that the Governor's Sportsmen Advisory Board has been conducting interviews of a few Commissioner applicants. Once they have interviewed the applicants they will send a list over to the Governor of those they feel are the most qualified. The ball is then in the Governor's court, but generally with a lot of political pushing from various members of the Senate for their favorites.

Dick Bodenhorn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page