Sunday Hunting Passes Senate - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 461Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Sunday Hunting Passes Senate

Well. It passed the Senate. On to the house.

Passed 36-14.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS...y=S&rc_nbr=204
bohunr, gf44mag, Loggy and 4 others like this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

3 days, a pittance 'cause they basically caved to a few loudmouths in the PFB. But it's a start I guess.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #3 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:07 PM

The bill should be thrown in the trash. Should be all or nothing. We all know what will happen if the 3 days pass. This will cause more of a divide within the hunters than there already is. No matter what seasons those 3 sundays are added to, its going to cause chaos because every group will want a piece of the pie and ultimately some groups will not get their slice

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:26 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Well, only one of the three would be up for debate as to the group who would benefit.

1 is to go to rifle deer, 1 to archery deer....only #3 is at the discretion of the PGC.
post #5 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:49 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
The bill should be thrown in the trash. Should be all or nothing. We all know what will happen if the 3 days pass. This will cause more of a divide within the hunters than there already is. No matter what seasons those 3 sundays are added to, its going to cause chaos because every group will want a piece of the pie and ultimately some groups will not get their slice
Navigating politics is sometimes much compromise. We are not losing opportunity. This ancient law has no chance with an all or nothing approach at this time as proven in recent history. The strangle-hold the GS has on PGC is not going to change, and the only way to change the minds of PFB is with facts; to prove this is a non-issue. First Sunday in rifle ought to prove that. Big changes, be it resource or social need acceptance. If we went all or nothing and for some reason Sunday became a huge issue, you’d be crying foul if it was taken away.

I hope the day in archery includes the most seasons.. small game, in-line bear, etc. again, to prove this is not a big deal.
bohunr, Danesdad, OAWC and 2 others like this.
post #6 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:26 AM
Regular Visitor

Everything is going to be ok. They are changing the starting of rifle to Saturday. The Sunday that follows will make an 8 day opening week. Hunting license sales are going to skyrocket. Numerous people will be buying hunting license and many deer (that are left after archery) can be taken. The deer population should be reduced as to stop the spread of EHD and CWD. As long as we provide opportunity and control disease, I really expect these license sales to continue for the opportunity being provided.
post #7 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:44 AM

Kinda happy about for the same reason as most folks. Kinda mad about it for same reasons as most folks. For now, I'll look at the bright side: we could potentially have more time to hunt and least one week x3 over the course of the year where we don't have to sit idly on a weekend day or waste an extra precious paid-time-off day during the week to hunt.
post #8 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:01 AM

If it actually gets approved, the 3 days should go to the youth since that is the excuse they keep using to get all these changes passed. I worry about having 4 high impact days in rifle, yes I know 2 of those days would be buck only.
Se7enRemMag and PA112Hunter like this.

4B
post #9 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good news to hear we are making some sort of progress with SH. Like a lot of others, I would absolutely prefer that the PGC has control of all 52 Sundays....but this is PA - baby steps trying to implement change is better than no steps at all.

The Sunday in rifle season will hopefully pacify some of the anti-Saturday rifle opener crowd.....allowing 8 straight days of rifle hunting with no off days. At least the belly-aching camp guys can hunt Saturday and Sunday morning before heading home. Does anyone know if the PGC will adjust this coming season if the bill passes by a certain deadline?

As for fears of 4 high impact days in rifle season.....every year we hear from piles of HPA posters stating that the SGL parking lots only have a few vehicles in them, they did not see another hunter in the woods all day, and they could not even tell it was opening day of rifle season because they had heard such few shots. That's the opener......why would another weekend day of buck-only be a concern? That does not make any sense to me.
post #10 of 363 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:31 AM

Dont see too many posts explaining if you dont like the Sunday idea, or the Saturday opener for that matter, you can refuse to hunt thoses days and leave them for those who will now have a previously unavailable oppurtunity.

Myself? No Sunday hunts in the forseeable future, and Saturdays are for spending with my wife.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in