Appalachian Trail not legal to hunt on it - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Question Appalachian Trail not legal to hunt on it

Read today in the digest on PGL you can hunt on the Appalachian Trail. However you can't fire a gun on the Appalachian Trail nor hunt in other areas of the state... So that means if the Appalachian Trail goes thru a state park or a farmers land you have permission to hunt on by rights you can legally hunt there... They tell you to contact the Appalachian Trail Conservatory in Boilng Springs Pa and look at the map to see just where you can't hunt on.. The digest has a telephone number to call 717-258-5771

So how far off of the Appalachian Trail is it legal to hunt? just so many yards like 150 like a safety zone or is it for miles?

Last edited by uncle buck; 06-24-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:59 AM
Frequent Contributor

If its public land i.e., state park, state forest or game lands I believe you just have to get off of the trail. Most if not all of the Federally owned land that the App trail goes through is no hunting. Again look at their maps to know which lands you can't hunt on.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:20 AM
Regular Visitor

I've hunted SGL 80 for years and the App trail runs right though it. There is nothing in the parking areas or along the trail to indicate that you cannot hunt from it or that there is any kind of safety zone. I got this from a quick google search.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...8.pdf?sfvrsn=0

USAF retired
NRA Life Member
RMEF Life Member

Life is hard, it's harder if you are stupid--John Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
The Man

If trail runs thru PGL you can legally hunt. Thank you for the link I will check it out.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:13 AM

I would think the simple solution would be to call 717-258-5771. But I may be wrong. I am sure someone would know more than they do. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The rules differ according to what the lands thr trail goes thru were acquired for. If the land was specifically acquired for the trail I don't believe your allowed to hunt it but if the trail goes thru land acquired for other purposes, hunting from the trail (and I believe carrying a LOADED firearm ON the trail is not allowed but hunting the adjacent off-trail land is. Most hunters aren't even aware of it because in a lot of places there just isn't much signage up explaining it. I used to run into it hunting the Blue Mountain ridge where a SGL and the Del Water Gap National Rec Area lands had the trail running through it. There were pockets of lands going up the mountain that were acquired specifically for access to the trail but it was only after several years of hunting up there that I started to see some signage delineating it and I looked into it. Before that I had no clue of any of the different rules.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:49 PM
Sage

PAGE 17 in the Digest APPALACHIAN TRAIL & DELAWARE WATER GAP RECREATION AREA

Sections of the Appalachian Trail that run thru State Gamelandsare not subject to the listed regulations.

wmu 3A

Last edited by timberdoodle; 06-25-2019 at 12:54 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:32 AM

They can stick their "No Firearms on The Trail". A friend and I did just a 2 day section some time in the late 80's ? It required an overnight stay in one of their trailside yurts. I wasn't but a few weeks before, that 2 people ( I believe a guy and gal) were murdered on the trail by a drifter/vagrant. They caught the guy somewhere near the southern portion, I believe wearing the victims shoes ? Well, we both packed heat, and didn't even care to ask if it was legal. The remoteness of the trail, and especially those yurts for overnight stays, are a prime hunting ground for those intent on ill-will.

There's a website that lists the murders over the years on the trail. Somewhere in the double digits I believe.
bohunr and Bates like this.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Hunting is prohibited along approximately 900 miles of the Trail through national parks (like Shenandoah and the Great Smoky Mountains), most state parks, and on lands acquired by the National Park Service exclusively for the Trail and still under National Park Service administration, including the outside edges by A.T. corridor boundary signs
Hunting Safety - Appalachian Trail Conservancy

In PA, if the AT is crossing State Forest or State Game Lands, it is wide open to hunting.
fall gobbler likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I did call # today. He looked on map where I use to hunt. Some places I could hunt off trail others I couldn't. What a shock to some to be fined and as you walked away you still wouldn't believe it happened.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page