Do you consider yourself a Jeremiah Johnson? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 118Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Question Do you consider yourself a Jeremiah Johnson?

I actually never did achieve my potential to be a Jeremiah Johnson! You show me a man that goes into the woods ever day and I will show you a divorced man..

I few years back I almost made it... I was going to live right out back of the George Washington National Forest in Virginia.. woo I was thinking this is going to be great. All the shrooms I wanted. Great predator hunting, deer 5 a year, bear hunting, trapping, bobcat unlimited … Ruffed Grouse hunting. So at the last minutes someone decides they don't want to live in Virginia.. HA HA I never will meet Jeremiah Johnson status in my life time... All the garden work I have to do around here I will become a Johnny Appleseed.

Good question though.. .Do you think your outdoor knowledge is that of a person might think that Jeremiah Johnson had?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:50 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

His knowledge? Nope I ain't even close. Don't get me wrong I love the outdoors and spend as much time as possible there, read, research, practice, however I have things Jeremiah did not. Ain't takin away my hot shower everyday, 4x4 pickup, bug spray, gore tex, Swarovski optics, GPS, permethrin. How do you really keep your powder dry without modern goodies like plastic? Remember he had to go into the woods everyday.

Any outdoors-man from his era would consider most of us inferior and rightfully so. Make our own clothing? live in the high Rocky's most of the year, live under the stars? All the time? Eat beaver, bear, plants and berries? We may romanticize about that life and our knowledge but subsistence living alone? I think most of us would quit...........

Intelligence without wisdom is Modern Society............
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:15 AM
Frequent Contributor

I dont believe there are more than a handful of people alive today who could survive the way those mountain men chose to live, myself included. No matter what skill level you have, all you need to do is get a touch of the flu without a warm bed with a roof overhead to keep yourself dry in that inevitable downpour that will get there the same time, you will figure it out in no time that Johnson was one of a lost breed.

No Sir! Jeremiah Johnson I am not...... my Mr Coffee sounds like its done......

Heaven has a gate, walls, and strict immigration policy.... enough said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:21 AM
The Man

I love the wilderness and hunting and fishing. No other place I would rather be than the outdoors. A full time job and a family however limits me. My skill set is also very limited. I am a pretty good hunter and fisherman but I would never survive in the wilderness on my own. Never trapped and donít even process my own deer. Still have yet to kill a bear and hitting a grouse that I flushed would be pure luck. Also donít have the knowledge and ability to build a cabin.
Losing power for a couple days back in February during the wind storm was a real eye opener for me. The wife was in panic mode and I really had no plan on how to deal with it. We ended up getting a hotel until it came back on. I doubt we would ever be able to survive a apocalypse.
Danesdad and flintlock hunter like this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:42 AM

No !
flintlock hunter likes this.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:57 AM

Not a chance. Even as a young man when I had unlimited energy and faith in myself I would not have made a go of it. If you take into consideration all the things that can go wrong in the wilderness that can kill you, not to mention the diseases, the mortality rate of the true Mountain Men must have been tremendous. Slip of a skinning knife = infection and perhaps blood poisoning; snake bite = well, you know; get your foot trapped between rocks in a stream = broken bones = no hunting = death. Grisly bears, wolves, cougars and other people just add to the lethality.
Being outdoors for a while, under the stars, close to nature is okay - for a while. But to live out there and away from common comforts that I do not even have to work for, like fresh water and decent sanitation, for any more than a week and I am toast.
flintlock hunter likes this.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:13 AM

I have often thought, how in the world could a man live like that. So much for him to do to prepare for winter. Cutting firewood, maybe planting a garden, canning food, hunting and fishing to get food, not to mention all the other hardships. Also, as someone else said, the risk of injury. I would be a short rough life for sure.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:33 AM

No I could not. At least not yet. But my wife says Iím de-evolving and slowly turning into a Neanderthal. So thereís still hope.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:25 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The North Pond Hermit lived in isolation in the Maine woods for 27 years.
Although he stole food and necessities from camps he survived the harsh Maine winters, most of the time without a fire.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:48 AM
Sage

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...cw=1435&ch=928

Rondeau lived off the land in the Adirondaks High Peaks region along the Cold River which flows into Long Lake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_John_Rondeau
DIYASUB likes this.

wmu 3A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page