Deer seaso - Page 5 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:09 AM
dce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumptrap View Post
So dce, what you're really saying in your original post is, insurance companies really don't care whether or not people get killed in deer-vehicle collisions!
No,I never mentioned people getting killed.on average,one or two people per year are killed in pa do to deer collisions so it is a public safety issue.The small number ofpeople wh are killed or injured do to hitting deer has no impact on an insurance companies bottom line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

So jumptrap what you are really saying is that hunters that are wanting more deer or the game commission that feels an area has too few deer and cuts antlerless tags really don't care whether or not people get killed in deer-vehicle collision.
jimbridger likes this.

Last edited by LONZO; 06-25-2019 at 09:40 AM.
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:48 AM

Insurance companies care about one thing and one thing only. The bottom line. Whether the deer collision results in a few scratches to a fender, or a mile long trail or wreckage and animal parts and dead drivers doesn't matter to them at all. It all comes down to how much do they have to pay out, and how much do they increase the rates on all of their customers to make up for that.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill adams View Post
Just my thoughts on Sunday hunting. The deer get one day of rest now. But the insurance companies want them all kill off which leave all of us hunters with nothing to shoot. I don't agree with . Go back to the 3 days of doe season and build the deer herd back up. Just my random rant.
Yup, every Sunday I see the deer near me lounging around able to just enjoy a relaxing, lazy Sunday without much of a care in the world.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill adams View Post
Just my thoughts on Sunday hunting. The deer get one day of rest now. But the insurance companies want them all kill off which leave all of us hunters with nothing to shoot. I don't agree with . Go back to the 3 days of doe season and build the deer herd back up. Just my random rant.
The herd is going to get smaller to try and get CWD under control and I'm all for it.I would rather have less deer that are healthy than thousands more that are sick and infecting the healthy ones.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:32 AM

I think lack of hunters now is why many think theres a lack of deer.

I have a daughter who lives in state college, and we visit often. If we are coming or going after dark, you gotta be pretty careful cus theres deer out everywhere. Last night we drove sr 26 from state college to raystown lake at about 10:30 and we saw deer on the road in about a dozen different places. In the fall when we travel, I'm surprised how few deer we see killed on I80 from the Ohio line to about Knox. From Knox to where we get off at mm123(woodland) theres always a bunch, that seems backwards to me.

Where I live in mercer county, we don't see many deer in rifle season anymore, at least not like in the 80's and 90's. Another thing we don't see is drives, or hunters moving around, but we do see almost everyone hunting from a ladder stand. Imo, during rifle season theres just enough hunter activity to make deer limit daylite movement, but not enough to keep them up and running like in the "good old days." Usually though, by the end of the season the guys i expect to get a buck have, just like the "good old days." And those who haven't are complaining about the game commission, just like the "good old days."

Mt lions, that's the REAL problem.....

Pence/Putin 2024
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:22 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellodog View Post
I think lack of hunters now is why many think theres a lack of deer.

I have a daughter who lives in state college, and we visit often. If we are coming or going after dark, you gotta be pretty careful cus theres deer out everywhere. Last night we drove sr 26 from state college to raystown lake at about 10:30 and we saw deer on the road in about a dozen different places. In the fall when we travel, I'm surprised how few deer we see killed on I80 from the Ohio line to about Knox. From Knox to where we get off at mm123(woodland) theres always a bunch, that seems backwards to me.

Where I live in mercer county, we don't see many deer in rifle season anymore, at least not like in the 80's and 90's. Another thing we don't see is drives, or hunters moving around, but we do see almost everyone hunting from a ladder stand. Imo, during rifle season theres just enough hunter activity to make deer limit daylite movement, but not enough to keep them up and running like in the "good old days." Usually though, by the end of the season the guys i expect to get a buck have, just like the "good old days." And those who haven't are complaining about the game commission, just like the "good old days."

Mt lions, that's the REAL problem.....

Deer hunting has become similar to going to a work bee. Everyone is watching one guy do all the work waiting for him to screw up.
jimbridger likes this.
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
I'm not going to spend a bunch of time on this as I've already beat it to death over the past 20 years.I own an insurance agency and watch my loss ratio very closely.I can tell you with 100% certainty that insurance companies don't lobby for less deer or even care about deer claims.The reason for that is because they're very predictable from year to year.That allows them to adjust rates accordingly.As consumers,we pay for those deer claims.not the insurance companies.Over the years I've served on numerous risk management committees and the subject of deer has never been brought up because they're predictable and such a small part over the overall loss ratio.I could go into way more detail but I really don't have the energy to debate this anymore.

Ya, Ya, Ya. You're part of the cover-up. Yinz all go to the yearly insurance seminar in Vegas, and learn to sing off the same song sheet. Youz hen't pullin' the wool over this one's eyes. Good try though.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo View Post
Ya, Ya, Ya. You're part of the cover-up. Yinz all go to the yearly insurance seminar in Vegas, and learn to sing off the same song sheet. Youz hen't pullin' the wool over this one's eyes. Good try though.
I know for a fact he has a pet mt lion....🦁
jimbridger likes this.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:20 PM
dce

Had a pet mountain lion.The operative word is had.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page