• 1 Post By Cscott1
  • 5 Post By Woods walker
  • 1 Post By bohunr
  • 1 Post By Wingatchtochwilsit
  • 1 Post By Cscott1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

PGC finances question

I didn’t want to ask this in any of the “audit” threads so I figured I’d start a new one.

For years we have been told the PGC was underfunded and that the best way to solve that was a license increase. I have always thought the PGC could spend the money that came in from licenses, timber, gas, etc. as they needed. I find it nice to see that they have some reserve and have no problem with it. My question is, if the GOA must approve the PGC budget, and routinely cutes things from their requests, would a license increase actually help the PGC? As I am understanding things even if the PGC income froze licenses tripled there is no guarantee that they would be allowed to use it. Is this correct?
jimbridger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
I didnít want to ask this in any of the ďauditĒ threads so I figured Iíd start a new one.

For years we have been told the PGC was underfunded and that the best way to solve that was a license increase. I have always thought the PGC could spend the money that came in from licenses, timber, gas, etc. as they needed. I find it nice to see that they have some reserve and have no problem with it. My question is, if the GOA must approve the PGC budget, and routinely cutes things from their requests, would a license increase actually help the PGC? As I am understanding things even if the PGC income froze licenses tripled there is no guarantee that they would be allowed to use it. Is this correct?
The Governors office would have a difficult time rejecting parts of a budget proposal if there was real need for the spending. The sad part is many times the reason they cut parts of the budget is so they can say they cut the budget in news releases and not a legitimate reason. The general public doesn't know they aren't saving their tax dollars so they GOA has gotten false credit. That is why the PGC must be vigilant in showing need for the spending when they submit a budget. That said, I would not want there not to be some kind of guard dog between any state agency and the vault holding the game fund. Year ago under the pathetic Governor Casey, not long before his term was up he arbitrarily cut the salaries of all state employees in management positions. His reason was so he could show that when he left office there was a surplus, I believe the amount was either 5 or 10 percent, which would be a substantial cut in pay. The BOC took the issue to Commonwealth and had the game Commission employees removed for those getting salary cuts. The reason was, it was window dressing and for no reason other than to accrue more money in the state treasury which was money the Governor's office was not entitled to confiscate because the PGC's salaries were paid from the game fund and not from the general fun. The court agreed and would not allow the governor to take money from neither fish or game. Politics is an ugly and vicious animal.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

I don’t disagree. I guess it would come down to who gets to decide what is “needed”. Obviously payroll, and personnel cost are needed, but what about food plots or habitat improvements?

My question boils down to “if the PGC brought in more money, would they be allowed to use it?”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:31 AM

the PGC needs a license increase AND our support or we are doomed under control of the legiscritters.
browtine64 likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
the PGC needs a license increase AND our support or we are doomed under control of the legiscritters.
support sure, bigger budget absolutely, but with state government “tying the PGCs hands” and state government approving budget, will a license increase actually “untie” anything?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:47 AM

doesnt sound like it, as long as the GA is involved.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:14 AM
Frequent Contributor

It seems to me that an increase might not help much at all, unless and until the GA/Gov get out of the picture, and move from controlling the budget to a pure oversight role...
IE, if fees were increased, the added revenue would exceed the given budget year expenses, and the ďprofitĒ would end up in the game fund... and thus be untouchable without GA/Gov approval the following year...
I could be wrong on that part of the process, itís just what Iíve read between the lines in other threads, Iím sure Iíll get corrected if so...
bohunr likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

I suppose the increase would have to happen in order for there to be money available for the GOA to approve of spending.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page