• 1 Post By FGjr
  • 1 Post By bohunr
  • 4 Post By Woods walker
  • 1 Post By flintlock hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

E bikes

Are e bikes legal for hunting on State Game Lands?
At 72 years old with pretty serious arthritis Im looking for legal ways to get around in the woods. If anyone knows the rules in Pa
Or can point me to some definitive info, Id be very grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:15 PM
Sage

No, they are not legal, they are motorized vehicles and therefore illegal to use on game lands. 135.1. Scope.
This chapter regulates and controls the use and administration of lands, waters and buildings under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction.
Source
The provisions of this 135.1 adopted June 3, 1969; reserved June 18, 1982, effective June 19, 1982, 12 Pa.B. 1869; amended June 19, 1987, effective July 1, 1987, 17 Pa.B. 2464; amended June 11, 2010, effective June 12, 2010, 40 Pa.B. 3095. Immediately preceding text appears at serial page (326569).

135.2. Unlawful actions.

In addition to the prohibitions in the act on lands, waters or buildings under Commission ownership, lease, agreement, control or jurisdiction, it is unlawful, except with the permission of the person in charge of the lands, or the written permission of the Director to:

(1) Camp or use campsites.

(2) Plant, gather, cut, dig, remove or otherwise injure plants or parts thereof, including trees, shrubs, vines, flowering plants, cultivated crops, mushrooms and fruits of berry-producing plants.

(3) Travel on lands by means of vehicle or conveyance propelled by motorized power.

People who cannot walk can get a permit to use an atv or motorized wheelchair on certain game lands. If you can ride a bike I doubt you would qualify.
bohunr likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:17 PM
The Man

I wonder how long their gonna be allowed to run on the road like they are now before they have to get a motorcycle plate.?
jimbridger and bohunr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:37 PM
Sage

I don't know, however they are not allowed to ride on game lands roads that are open to the public, because they are not a licensed vehicle.
jimbridger and bohunr like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

FGjr, I am disabled also, and easily got the necesary documents to use a quad on SGL, State Parks, and State Forests. All you really need are the applications from the State, and have your Dr fill out the forms declaring you need the quad for mobility.

It does take a bit of time, but it is worth it. They are most cooperative.
bohunr likes this.

Heaven has a gate, walls, and strict immigration policy.... enough said.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think they should change the law and allow Ebikes for elderly or disabled hunters on gamelands and state forests...
bohunr, loridr, Six-Gun and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks to all for the info and responses. Sounds like the e bike wont be an answer for my use.
Unless something changes Ill stick to my walking stick and short walks from the truck. Still see the woods and game, just not as much as the old days on two good legs. Cant complain though, still a joy to
Be outdoors.
jimbridger likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:48 AM

you can also get a permit to shoot from your vehicle. might be some farmers that would let you park in the field on the edge of the woods and hunt / shoot from your vehicle.

one farm i hunt actually has a gravel road that runs down thru the woods and several fields so he can get to the sap lines for his maple syrup. he has one disabled hunter that uses an ATV with a permit to get around on the property.

just ask some farmers in your area. i bet they will be very helpful. especially the ones on the red tag list.
flintlock hunter likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:57 AM
Sage

That permit to shoot from a vehicle requires more than " it hurts when I do that" it is for people who cannot walk more tan a few yards or cannot walk at all. I am 72 and have had RA sice I was in my very early 30s. My hips hurt when I walk on inclines or for a long time like when hunting and I bird hunt behind dogs. Getting old can get uncomfortable, it doesn't mean that old age should bestow an bunch of exceptions.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

Just a quick thought, make a few calls to the Commision and inquire if a special dispensation might be possible for the E bike.

I personally dont think it would work out well dragging a deer, and at our ages a spill on some of these rocky gamelands would not be good, but maybe this is a good situation for you.

717-787-4250 That is the main number in Harrisburg, Im sure someone there would be able to update you with the latest information.

The DCNR may also be able to accomidate your E bike, and Bhuntr was absolutely right on the "Use a Vehicle As A Blind" permit that allows you to shoot from the car or truck. You need that to hunt from a quad as well.

Good luck! It IS worth it!
bohunr likes this.

Heaven has a gate, walls, and strict immigration policy.... enough said.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page