Bill to Remove County Treasurers from Antlerless System - Page 7 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 483Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
Pals gets paid with county treasurers I believe. The pgc who knows the system and costs better than both of us said it would save money. Why should we try to dispute that?
Current: PALS $1.00
CT $1.00

Removing CT: PALS $1.00
Issuing agent $1.00

Unless the PGC can convince PALS or the issuing agents to work for free/less or they raise the cost to the applicant, I dont see any savings.

Good luck, Tony
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
I never agreed with the notion of needing to provide a Social Security number to buy a hunting or fishing license. I was told it was a federal (?) law to track those delinquent on child support payments. I also read that SS #s were expressingly meant to be used for SS matters, not for tracking folks, credit checks, or applying for loans. But when I was in college at Penn State, you put your SS # on test papers instead of your name. When I worked in the mines, you had a brass tag on your belt with your SS# stamped on it. ( if you were burnt up in an explosion, they could ID you ). Today when Iím asked today for a SS #, I question the need and most time the inquirer backs off. Folks today are sheep.

i think, according to Federal law, its illegal to use your social security as identification. i have refused to put it on any form for years now (except tax papers ) and i have never had a problem.

i am a huge privacy advocate. Doctors offices want to scan your drivers licenses now...i refused, no problem.
way to easy to become a victim of identity theft. crooks are starting to use "Skimmers" now. they fit in the scanners of ATM machines and gas pumps when you pay with a debit / credit card. the skimmers download all the info thats on that magnetic strip on the back and they can empty your account and make all kinds of charges to your credit cards.

no tin foil here, just facts.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #63 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

For my own, selfish reasons, I would LOVE to see an online application system. The current system works just fine when you live in, or close to the state. But, a lot can go wrong as far as timing your mailing when you are forced to live half a country away.

As for not wanting your info exposed online, I get it, but...any info you give to virtually any agency is going to be stored on a computer these days and open to hacking. Ever check into a hospital? Your info is going on a computer. Ever file a claim with the VA? Same. Store money at a brick and mortar bank (they have to interact with the Federal Reserve to operate)? Same. Order a passport through the Department of State? Same.

Virtually nothing in this world is done with out computers touching your info at some level, and most of it is exposed - directly or indirectly - to the internet and all of its evils. It's just the reality of the computer age. I say this as a guy who has for 100% certain had his personal info stolen when the Office of Personnel Management was hacked few years ago. They sent me a letter saying (in so many words) that my security clearance info (my SS #, where I've lived, where I went to school, etc.) was assuredly in the hands of an unintended third party. That is: Russia, China, North Korea, whoever. I simply keep a credit/personal info monitoring subscription with LifeLock and and move on. If I worried about it everyday, it would be paralyzing.
bohunr and Danesdad like this.

Last edited by Six-Gun; 06-20-2019 at 01:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:03 AM

i understand that, but i dont have to help it along.

scarier yet, is that Hospital computers can be hacked, they can shut down everything, every machine thats computer operated in the hospital. they can even hack into your "Smart"car and take control.

to much technology isnt good. sooner or later they will hack into Airplanes. maybe they already did with the boeing 737 max incidents. if they did, i am sure they will never tell us.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Last edited by bohunr; 06-20-2019 at 12:06 AM.
post #65 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:15 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
i understand that, but i dont have to help it along.

scarier yet, is that Hospital computers can be hacked, they can shut down everything, every machine thats computer operated in the hospital. they can even hack into your "Smart"car and take control.

to much technology isnt good. sooner or later they will hack into Airplanes. maybe they already did with the boeing 737 max incidents. if they did, i am sure they will never tell us.
I completely hear you and understand that point. My dad is the same way. It's clearly a generational thing, and at 42, I'm just old enough to remember the days when banks had ashtrays and computers weren't a proliferated thing yet. That said, I also watched that bridge to digital form, and have grown completely numb because of how much info I have stored online being in the US military (which is possibly the most massive hacking target in the world). I'm also numb to how insanely often computer systems around the world are hacked.

But, your point is valid, and it goes without saying: the less you offer, the less they can take. My military job is in electronic warfare, and you are exactly right. It's only a matter of time before big ticket items like planes and railway systems (run by SCADA networks), get hacked, and something awful happens.
bohunr likes this.

Last edited by Six-Gun; 06-20-2019 at 12:56 AM.
post #66 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Never had an ATM card or Debit card, never will!

So, some poor bank teller has to see your shining, smiling face on a regular basis ?
bohunr likes this.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #67 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Of course, doing it that way would be dragging this state (kicking and screaming) out of the stone age. No state official (and many regular residents) would want that.

Here's an idea. Why don't all yinz millennials, or Gen X, or yuppies, or....or.... or..... wait until all of us boomer-aged sportsmen kick the bucket, before proposing all these technological-related reg. changes to our currently "archaic" system. I mean, just give us a few more years, please. Yinz'll have free reign soon enough.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #68 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo View Post
Here's an idea. Why don't all yinz millennials, or Gen X, or yuppies, or....or.... or..... wait until all of us boomer-aged sportsmen kick the bucket, before proposing all these technological-related reg. changes to our currently "archaic" system. I mean, just give us a few more years, please. Yinz'll have free reign soon enough.
Wow... just....wow...

I don't know which thought is more depressing: The acceptance that we are indeed only a few years from the "great boomer die-off", or the realization that said generation is the first in history that DIDN'T want their succeeding generations to have it better than they did...
RyanR likes this.
post #69 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:27 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The "broke" parts of the current process that granted does work for the most part:

1. The PGC wants to take over the process, but they are handcuffed by the PA state government. Sound familiar? It should.

2. There are still quite a few "crooked" transactions with the CT's giving preferential treatment to applications with the right names on them being at the top of the stack when they start issuing tags.

3. Cost of the current process can be reduced, per statements from the PGC tech staff. Seems someone is always biotching about the PGC not watching their money tightly enough....let them run the doe tag process and save said money.

Thank goodness for the PGC's DMAP process.
bohunr likes this.
post #70 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo View Post
I'm a boomer and I cant wait for these changes to happen. Hopefully, I'll be alive to take advantage of them.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page