Bill to Remove County Treasurers from Antlerless System - Page 26 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 483Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #251 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:48 AM
Frequent Contributor

If it were legal to possess expired tags, I could post up some pictures of the doe tags I received from Bucks and Montgomery counties over the years... Printing running off the tag, badly angled text, blurred text, etc. Numerous examples of improper HW setup or pending failure. Only 1 required replacement, but there were many where I questioned if a WCO would have been able to scan the barcode.
CTs aren't immune to HW failure... but I'd wager it's more common at Walmart due to the "quality" of staff running it...
FWIW: I've NEVER had an issue with any tag delivered from an online sale (from Active Network) for PA or any other state. Better QC there perhaps?
jimbridger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:58 AM

I'm all for leveraging what this day and age can provide, when it makes sense. Actually, in the grand scheme of life, and to put it in perspective, what is the net result of this being implemented, and it failing miserably ? A whizzed off hunter may not get an antlerless tag. LOL

2A-Wash. Co.
post #253 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:20 AM

I'm never worried about getting a deer or an antlerless tag. there is always DMAP or Red Tag. i will fill my next red tag in September.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #254 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:20 AM

Many, if not most other states process their “draw” licenses electronically and have for years. Are their problems and glitches that arise? Absolutely. But human error causes many problems as well.

As stated earlier in this thread, we had big problems with the CTs of Erie and Warren counties in consecutive years and many hunters who religiously got their doe tag apps filled out correctly and on time were denied for the first time in 30-40 years because of human error or neglect.

No system is perfect but what I am seeing is more clinging to yet another “tradition” more than anything else. Like I said, whether it’s Sunday hunting, Saturday opener, semi autos, concurrent buck/doe seasons, many just don’t want to change the way things have always been. They resist technology or advancements in deer biology and management and long for the “good ole days”. Believe me, I get it and understand but the “new age” isn’t all bad and resentment toward the younger generations and their tech and gadgets is just as misguided as the younger generations resenting the “old farts” for living in the past.

The chances of electronic malfunction are the same as human error. Every year someone gets shafted out of a doe license because of a postal worker error or CT error or combo of both. As I said, most other states operate electronically with very little issues or problems but once again, somehow PA is different...
post #255 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo View Post
I'm all for leveraging what this day and age can provide, when it makes sense. Actually, in the grand scheme of life, and to put it in perspective, what is the net result of this being implemented, and it failing miserably ? A whizzed off hunter may not get an antlerless tag. LOL
There are many a whizzed off hunter that don’t get their doe tags with the current system.
post #256 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGLE BOY View Post
Many, if not most other states process their “draw” licenses electronically and have for years. Are their problems and glitches that arise? Absolutely. But human error causes many problems as well.

As stated earlier in this thread, we had big problems with the CTs of Erie and Warren counties in consecutive years and many hunters who religiously got their doe tag apps filled out correctly and on time were denied for the first time in 30-40 years because of human error or neglect.

No system is perfect but what I am seeing is more clinging to yet another “tradition” more than anything else. Like I said, whether it’s Sunday hunting, Saturday opener, semi autos, concurrent buck/doe seasons, many just don’t want to change the way things have always been. They resist technology or advancements in deer biology and management and long for the “good ole days”. Believe me, I get it and understand but the “new age” isn’t all bad and resentment toward the younger generations and their tech and gadgets is just as misguided as the younger generations resenting the “old farts” for living in the past.

The chances of electronic malfunction are the same as human error. Every year someone gets shafted out of a doe license because of a postal worker error or CT error or combo of both. As I said, most other states operate electronically with very little issues or problems but once again, somehow PA is different...
Therein lies the problem. Pennsylvania is so backwards. And in many more ways than just hunting license sales. But, if you think this system is going to stay the same indefinitely, I'm afraid I've got some bad news for you...
jimbridger likes this.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #257 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGLE BOY View Post
There are many a whizzed off hunter that don’t get their doe tags with the current system.

Until the day comes where every hunter receives a tag there will be "Whizzed Off" hunters that didnt get their antlerless tag, no matter what process is used to distribute the tags.

The majority of hunters who do not get their tags will understand that they are applying for something that has a limited number available, and are mature enough to accept that fact. A small percentage of hunters who do not get their tags will claim that the system is unfair, claim the process is flawed, then unsuccessfully try and come up with various ways to "improve" the current process.

Good luck, Tony
post #258 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:26 AM
Frequent Contributor

I agree with Tony.

No system is going to make 100% of the hunters happy. There's always going to be someone claiming they were "screwed by the system."

I do, however, believe that a move to electronic applications, sales, and fulfillment will reduce the perceptions of "corruption, incompetence, malfeasance, etc"..

A well-designed and supported "First Applied, First Issued" queuing system will eliminate the issues related to delayed or lost applications, postal issues, CT processing "out of order" etc... except for those who continue to mail. (Which, in all honesty, will be an EXTREMELY small number... despite claims to the contrary..)

We've done quite a bit of market research related to liability insurance sales and online vs "offline" application and premium payment methods. In short, after repeated studies, the percentage of consumers in that space that would elect not to make a purchase if the only available means of applying and paying was online was less than 1.5%, and decreased in each successive study over the last 15+ years. (Most recently at 0.43%) This segment was offset more than 10x over by those who would be more inclined to purchase if the process was completely paperless.

Those numbers made a very clear business case for change in the industry, but were not without resistance/naysayers... It's disruption. Disruption to the marketers, used to and rather comfortable with their elaborate mail pieces... Disruptive to brokers and carriers, comfortable with their underwriters shuffling paper... But it was tested, validated, and implemented. Rather commonplace now I'd say...

The end results will be no different when it comes to shifting PA's processes online. There will be some grumbling from an extremely small segment. There will be praise from a much larger segment. Efficiencies, cost reductions, and overall satisfaction will improve.
jimbridger and Danesdad like this.
post #259 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:30 AM

Going to be a bunch of older demographic folks have to gain access to a computer I reckon, and either learn how to navigate websites, or have somebody do it for them. Retirees that head to Florida for a few months, folks that travel during the summer months, etc... They won't be able to mail a pre-filled application in from Orlando come first round application date. They won't be able to walk into an issuing agent in Ft. Lauderdale, and apply for their PA antlerless license in August, etc... I guess those types, will either adapt, or be left out. As they say..... Time Marches On.
Danesdad likes this.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #260 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:38 AM

- I wonder what the contract with PALS would be ? I mean, I'm sure the company isn't going to design, code, test, and implement it, free of charge. Wonder if they make PGC extend term on their existing contract ? In other words, if PALS has to go through the trouble of providing this feature, I'm sure they will want to be paid by the PGC for an extended period ? $1 of each permit goes to the courthouse. So, will PALS now get the $800,000 (or however many permits are sold) ? Will they pass additional cost on to each of us in any way ?

Man, I mean, I'd have to think about the $800,000 staying in PA, going to our counties coffers, even as meager as it may be, rather than out of state to an outside vendor ? Meh.....

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page