Bill to Remove County Treasurers from Antlerless System - Page 24 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 483Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #231 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
For the Mr Ricardos of this site. Simply put the hype of a million hunters applying all at the same time is not real. Not even close. Waugh!
And on top of that, there are a lot of hunters that realize that they do not need to rush to buy a first round tag in a WMU with plenty of allocations. On top of that, some hunters are satisfied with 1 WMU tag (myself included - I did not even buy a WMU tag for last season), with maybe a DMAP tag or 2 (or 4) in their pocket already.

The vast majority of WMU's do not sell out in the first round (and in some years none sell out in the first round)....so the bum rush is not necessary for hunters who possess the ability use a few brain cells.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

Even if there was a huge rush and spike in traffic, weíre talking about a day or two at the start of each round at most. From a cost perspective, one could throttle up on those days or even for two months in prep for the load, and back down to normal anticipated traffic throughout the rest of the year. Minimal impact.

You donít need to design and pay for a system that can support a million concurrent transactions 24/7/365...
Danesdad and OAWC like this.
post #233 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Iím still shocked on a monthly basis just how many F500 firms still have a significant portions of their critical ops running on AS400/DB2 stacks.

You sort of are alluding to exactly what I'm trying to get across. Major companies SLOWLY are TRYING to migrate off of legacy (mostly mainframe) running on old stacks. It's not an overnight thing, even for seemingly companies flush with the financial means to get it done. The business, whatever that may be, still has to stay afloat and viable through all the "modernization" efforts of a company. I'm sure ALL companies would like to get rid of Joe RPG developer, with his inflated salary, along with the entire platform he serves. That takes baby steps though.
Wingatchtochwilsit likes this.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #234 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
Please tell me how the system works now if they do not use a POS system at the courthouse? I need not know how to build a computer to know how to use one. I don't need to know how to code to use a program that is set up to be used by non coders.

I don't need to swim in your pool or have a lane to stay in. If you can not develop a system to issue Doe licenses a few weeks a year, I would not hire you to clean my pool as an IT guru. Waugh!

Pretty sure I can shy away from playing your game, Jim. Serves me no purpose, as you know not what you speak of. The other guy has at least a hint of awareness on the subject.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #235 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
Even if there was a huge rush and spike in traffic, weíre talking about a day or two at the start of each round at most. From a cost perspective, one could throttle up on those days or even for two months in prep for the load, and back down to normal anticipated traffic throughout the rest of the year. Minimal impact.

You donít need to design and pay for a system that can support a million concurrent transactions 24/7/365...

This entire migration, away from the county courthouse, MAY work flawlessly. Look, I'm obviously an advocate of utilizing all that the year 2019 provides by way of e-commerce, e-POS, and the power of modern databases. BUT, ya have to be careful. All I was trying to state, is that I'm not sure the current system is "broke enough" to warrant such an undertaking. Automating this, in it's current state, is a many-to-many relationship. You have many people applying, in many different ways/venues. That provides failure points at every venue that has hardware. A POS machine to run the PALS transaction. The printer at the kiosk, etc... and because this is a time sensitive endeavor, that can lead to a bunch of disgruntled customers. And yes, the glut, the rush, the load, should occur only during the 1st round of antlerless, which is a positive.

AGAIN, it can be pulled off. I'm just not sure the current manual process is all that flawed ?

Ö.. and, is this free ? Is PALS going to go through all the analysis, coding, testing, implementation, etc... free of charge ? They aren't charging the PGC or us, any more that what we currently pay ? Well, God bless 'em.

2A-Wash. Co.

Last edited by Fleroo; 06-24-2019 at 03:17 PM.
post #236 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo View Post
Pretty sure I can shy away from playing your game, Jim. Serves me no purpose, as you know not what you speak of. The other guy has at least a hint of awareness on the subject.

I am not trying to be an IT guy. Just an end user that knows the courthouses use the same system you say will crash. That is why you are running from my game. Waugh!
OAWC likes this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #237 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:21 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
The vast majority of WMU's do not sell out in the first round (and in some years none sell out in the first round)....so the bum rush is not necessary for hunters who possess the ability use a few brain cells.
To bad we canít buy our first doe tag when we buy our license. I donít have things figured out after that.
Danesdad and OAWC like this.
post #238 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf44mag View Post
To bad we canít buy our first doe tag when we buy our license. I donít have things figured out after that.

That may become a reality. Waugh!
Danesdad likes this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #239 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf44mag View Post
I think you will see that in the next 5 years or so.

4B
post #240 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:48 PM

LOL. Gotta love all the “PA is different from all other states” stuff that gets thrown around in every discussion about a change...

It doesn’t matter how many other states have been doing it differently for years without any hiccups or problems, somehow PA can never change with the times...

Sunday hunting, Saturday openers, semi autos, pink envelope doe license apps, doesn’t matter, PA MUST keep “traditions” and never move forward because this state is somehow an entity all its own.
Danesdad, DIYASUB, OAWC and 1 others like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page