Bill to Remove County Treasurers from Antlerless System - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 483Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Never had a problem with the way it has worked. It's easy and works. Like Bigbrownie said I must nuts or something.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:56 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Since the whole license thing has been automated for years, why does this continue to be so manual? How much do they spend on pink envelops? Maybe less than it costs to print the rule book.
Danesdad likes this.
post #13 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:00 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The current system works, but an on-line version would make it simpler and more efficient. I'd be all for not writing checks, buying stamps, timing the mail delivery, etc
Danesdad, OAWC and Six-Gun like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:06 PM

I can see this being a nightmare for Point Of Sale retailers. Let's face it. In 2019, you still have plenty of senior demographic hunters, that will only purchase a license or stamp at a selling agent. They want nothing to do with "online". You get into some areas of PA, that don't have very many retailers selling hunting licenses. SO, what you'll have is incredibly long waiting lines at the few point of sale retailers in some areas, and a bunch of PO'ed people. God bless the counter person when they have to tell that person that stood in line for 90 minutes, that THEY JUST SOLD OUT.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #15 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo View Post
I can see this being a nightmare for Point Of Sale retailers. Let's face it. In 2019, you still have plenty of senior demographic hunters, that will only purchase a license or stamp at a selling agent. They want nothing to do with "online". You get into some areas of PA, that don't have very many retailers selling hunting licenses. SO, what you'll have is incredibly long waiting lines at the few point of sale retailers in some areas, and a bunch of PO'ed people. God bless the counter person when they have to tell that person that stood in line for 90 minutes, that THEY JUST SOLD OUT.
And the poor USPS....missing out on all those stamp sales in August of each year in PA.
bohunr likes this.
post #16 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:02 PM
Sage

I have no problem with the current system at all. I can also see the system getting overloaded and taking a dump if all these applications were entered in a short period of time. Then again there mistake that will be made by applicants, automated issuance would make getting the mistakes straightened out more difficult. Sometimes it is better with the devil you know than the one you don't.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #17 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I have no problem with the current system at all. I can also see the system getting overloaded and taking a dump if all these applications were entered in a short period of time. Then again there mistake that will be made by applicants, automated issuance would make getting the mistakes straightened out more difficult. Sometimes it is better with the devil you know than the one you don't.
I agree that there could be some technical issues (at first at least) with an online sales system getting flooded at 12:01AM on each round opening (or say 9AM as not to give online applicants a leg up over "mailers")... but those are relatively easy to plan for and address.

I disagree on the level of difficulty straightening out end-user/applicant errors... I'd imagine that having confirmation steps in the process would reduce such errors when compared to the paper apps, sale couldn't proceed without a WMU selection, and a process for "correcting" or reissuing mistaken purchases would be easy to handle. Besides, someone would know as soon as a confirmation/receipt page displayed that they accidentally bought a tag in the wrong WMU, instead of waiting and wondering for weeks. Remedy could begin immediately, not after a WMU potentially sold out.

Of course, the paper process couldn't be eliminated completely... I would imagine an online system would run in parallel with the current system for the first year or two, then once the volume of online vs paper is established, they'd centralize the paper to a single location (or a few?) to handle that volume.

Having some experience w/ e-commerce, I'm not to scared of that devil... I see confronting him as a necessary evil in this case. It's past time to gain some efficiencies and modernize.
post #18 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:43 PM

I think some of the dissatisfaction with the doe license process comes from younger folks who feel right at home with online sales and credit card transactions. Me, I prefer cash, although I do write checks on special occasions. Credit cards are a distant third finisher for me. Someday my kind will be gone, and folks can have an App on their iPhones to buy their doe tags...but that day isn’t here yet.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. The County Treasurer got to eat too.
post #19 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:45 PM

I like it the way it is now like others have said they figured ways to get their tags every year, The way I see it they sell DMAPS and increase the allocations of Antlerless permits every year and now with the CWD spreading they will issue more in the future. I know in some areas there is competition to get one tag but just wait the whole state will be under CWD someday and you will have a pocket full of tags to try and fill,

A squakin' turkey don't live long
post #20 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sad thing is no matter which way you turn, it all comes down to Politics.
Whether it be Doe tags, Treasurer, Sunday hunting, Saturday opener you name it.
The only good thing about a Politician is you can vote them in or out.
An Appointed Official your stuck with.
bohunr likes this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page