Bill to Remove County Treasurers from Antlerless System - Page 18 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 483Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYASUB View Post
The Point of Sale system works fine where I'm at.
It would probably work here too if people were willing to stand in line or go on line as soon as they went on sale and they were issued on a first come first serves bases as long as the system could handle that volume of activity.

But to avoid long lines and the potential for a computer crash they had been talking about hunters applying then holding a random lottery later for any unit that had more applications then licenses. Though that would remove the need for hunters to get them as soon as they went on line it would also result in hunters being rejected based on a computer draw even though there were still licenses available. I am very much opposed to any system that rejects hunters while there are still licenses available.

It should be exclusively first come first served until the unit is sold out. If they instate a system that does that I don't care who sells them.

Dick Bodenhorn
browtine64 and Woods walker like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Although there were crashes when pos systems came into use the outfits that sell them have had years to perfect them and we don't hear of those problems very much anymore at all.
jimbridger and Danesdad like this.

MAGA 2020
post #173 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRA-5C+ View Post
If anybody is thinking the PALS system will be efficient here, think again. I have seen that machine lock up giving trout licenses, let alone 200,000 doe tags the first Monday they go on sale. Remove the county's from the process yes! Is Pals the way to go, nope... And does anybody, anybody really want over the counter first come first served for tags? I'm not in that arena. And then there is the "Lottery" crowd.. Yeah, go see the elk "lottery" and let me know what you think.... If the "puter" is going to do the reasoning for who gets an antlerless tag or not then you severely over estimate the system at hand... I among many do not dig the current system, and there are some court houses that just do not care, and there are even some that hate it, and have tenured employees that could care less about your doe tags, or better yet hope if they dawdle long enough they are sold out. And yet there are others that simply get over whelmed by the shear number of tags received, see Norristown, they take the cake for numbers received. Web based as well, there are web sites that on heavy traffic days (like holiday sales and black Friday) that can nnot handle the volume, so if the on-line guys love this option, when it crashes (error message: system has too many users- try again later) and you miss it because the system crashes, who's to blame. Other states are well, other states... They are not Pa and the numbers will overwhelm any system on line.... Then what? Carrier Pigeons?

Well what system do the county treasures use if it is not hooked to PALS? The tags look the same. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Maple View Post
I remember the first year they bypassed the local sorting center and sent outgoing mail to Wilkes Barre on Saturdays. There was a tray of applications intended for the Potter CT that got on the wrong truck and they surfaced in Jersey Shore.

This was back when if your application wasn't there on Monday you were out of luck. Most of the applications were from the Galeton area. They scheduled a public meeting, and of course in classic style all the managers ran, leaving the poor Galeton postmaster holding the bag. He had nothing to do with it.

His boss told him to just explain that it was mistake. They will understand. The postmaster told him to come and stand there with him in front of this crowd and that he do the explaining. Picture a guy in a 3 piece suit standing in front of a room trying to convince a crowd of angry Potter County hunters that they should just laugh it off.

Did they run him out of town and force his retirement? Oh wait wrong guy. Waugh!
Danesdad and pchunter1231 like this.

post #175 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
It would probably work here too if people were willing to stand in line or go on line as soon as they went on sale and they were issued on a first come first serves bases as long as the system could handle that volume of activity.

But to avoid long lines and the potential for a computer crash they had been talking about hunters applying then holding a random lottery later for any unit that had more applications then licenses. Though that would remove the need for hunters to get them as soon as they went on line it would also result in hunters being rejected based on a computer draw even though there were still licenses available. I am very much opposed to any system that rejects hunters while there are still licenses available.

It should be exclusively first come first served until the unit is sold out. If they instate a system that does that I don't care who sells them.

Dick Bodenhorn

What about the guys that have to work. or have college classes, or youth sports on the day they go on sale. Would the first day matter? Would they be afraid someone might get "their tag" Oh wait wrong topic . Sorry Waugh!

post #176 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:34 PM
The Man

I remember around 4 years ago the last year in the DMA area is was a permit issued by the PGC. The 3rd round was unlimited for these disease permits you could get 10 if you desired at one time. That morning the PGC system they used for this went down and took a good day to get back up. I tried like 5 or 6 times early that morning to get 2 more tags and it would not take it. I was finally able that afternoon to get thru on phone and they told me the problem and was able to take it over the phone for my 2 tags. About a week later I had 6 envelope's in my PO box from PGC with 6 different permits. For the sake of $6.70 at the time I kept them since my cc was charged and figured it would be a pita to send back and get credit. BTW, they never did sell out of them that year. My theory is if a new system was put in place I don't care how good it is supposed to be, until it would go thru a load of applications like this no one would know if its going to work correct. Stick with the system that is working 99% .
post #177 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
What about the guys that have to work. or have college classes, or youth sports on the day they go on sale. Would the first day matter? Would they be afraid someone might get "their tag" Oh wait wrong topic . Sorry Waugh!
Starting next year doe applications will go no sale on Saturday, you know, because thats when most people are off work and it will lead to more participation to get those applications sent. It will also give those that are used to pushing a button to get their application in.

4B
post #178 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:41 PM
Sage

Maybe eight or ten years ago when some of this talk was going around, the Beaver. Co. Treasurer showed up at a BOC meeting to chastise them for even thinking about removing treasurers from the process.

Couple of us spoke with her outside about it. She claimed PGC didn't have the manpower to take over issuing doe tags, for one thing and bragged about what a great job treasurers do with doe tags, as if no other entity could ever come close.

Few years later, one or two treasurers stopped taking doe applications because their commissioners refused to let them hire enough help to handle them. IIRC, Lehigh Co. was the first one to give it up?

This usually goes no where in the General Assembly, because it seems elected officials like to stick together. I'll be surprised if it goes this time?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #179 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
Well what system do the county treasures use if it is not hooked to PALS? The tags look the same. Waugh!
The antlerless license application envelopes are opened and the info is entered into the computer and printed out on the same printer used n the POS system and placed in the return envelope by the treasurers offices.
jimbridger likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #180 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
The antlerless license application envelopes are opened and the info is entered into the computer and printed out on the same printer used n the POS system and placed in the return envelope by the treasurers offices.

That was my point they still use PALS and the system does not crash with all these Treasurer's offices and who knows how many employees each attacking the system at the same time. That is how they can issue and track all the tags issued and not exceed allocations. The system is in place and we are paying for it plus we are paying someone to do it for us. Down the road it could be scanned into the system and take less effort for less people. I think the regional offices could handle the load. Waugh!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page