Bill to Remove County Treasurers from Antlerless System - Page 17 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 483Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #161 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you cannot get a Doe tag for your unit in this day and age, you are a complete idiot.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:58 PM
The Man

"Oh well, some tags are being pouched, but as long as I'm getting mine".....
post #163 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ftup View Post
If you cannot get a Doe tag for your unit in this day and age, you are a complete idiot.
Or the ineptness of some treasurers is still causing problems...
bohunr, Danesdad and SRA-5C+ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #164 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:43 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
Some of the problems we now have is the postal processing has been consolidated. Allow this simple example. Son in State Collage drops fathers day card in mail Thursday before Fathers day. His Sister does the same thing but she lives close enough to drop the mail off at Harveys Lake. Harveys lake is my post office. Son's arrives on Saturday before Fathers day. Daughters arrives Tuesday after Fathers day. Yes an alert clerk would have checked for local delivery but the process is to bag it and ship it to Allentown to be sorted.

The way it is today someone mailing in Wilkes Barre to the courthouse in Wilkes Barre can arrive later than someone who mails the same day but from a longer distance out of town. However this is only a problem for WMUs that sell out during the first round. Waugh!
I remember the first year they bypassed the local sorting center and sent outgoing mail to Wilkes Barre on Saturdays. There was a tray of applications intended for the Potter CT that got on the wrong truck and they surfaced in Jersey Shore.

This was back when if your application wasn't there on Monday you were out of luck. Most of the applications were from the Galeton area. They scheduled a public meeting, and of course in classic style all the managers ran, leaving the poor Galeton postmaster holding the bag. He had nothing to do with it.

His boss told him to just explain that it was mistake. They will understand. The postmaster told him to come and stand there with him in front of this crowd and that he do the explaining. Picture a guy in a 3 piece suit standing in front of a room trying to convince a crowd of angry Potter County hunters that they should just laugh it off.
jimbridger and bohunr like this.
post #165 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:51 AM
The Man

The mail or postal system is quite different now then the old days. I live in far western Md. and my outgoing mail goes that night to Baltimore to be sorted then sent back up here. Many jobs in the postal service have been lost or full time folks put to part time. You would think the postal service as a government job would be a great place to work but many are now non- contractional.
jimbridger likes this.
post #166 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:40 AM

i get people delivering my mail that look like they are on vacation. long hair, shorts, unshaven....definitely part time people.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #167 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:38 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater View Post
The mail or postal system is quite different now then the old days. I live in far western Md. and my outgoing mail goes that night to Baltimore to be sorted then sent back up here. Many jobs in the postal service have been lost or full time folks put to part time. You would think the postal service as a government job would be a great place to work but many are now non- contractional.
It's slowly being privatized. It doesn't matter which political party is in power.

There isn't a day that mail doesn't end up on the wrong truck. Always been that way, and always will. It could be due to human, or machine error. Anterless applications are not immune.
jimbridger likes this.
post #168 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:25 AM
Administrator

The Point of Sale system works fine where I'm at.
jimbridger likes this.

MAGA 2020
post #169 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ftup View Post
That has true for all units the past few years and true for most units every year with the current process.

But, it might not be true for all units in the future if the number of allocations is reduced to the levels they have in past years. As recently as 2015 there were five units where not even all of the state residents could one for the unit of their choice unless they got there applications processed in a timely manner. None of the non-resident hunters could get one for those units during many years.

With that said hunters could certainly increase their chances of being successful by sending to a County Treasurer who took the issuing of the licenses seriously.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #170 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGLE BOY View Post
Or the ineptness of some treasurers is still causing problems...
That hasn't been much of a problem the past few years. It seems that all of the County Treasurers now understand how important the process is to hunters and most have done a good job the last year or two.

Perhaps the worst case of not processing them occurred in Erie County a few years ago when the County Treasurer there had his entire staff quit the day antlerless licenses started rolling in. I am sure that was some type of statement by the employees, but it sure had an adverse effect on hunters who sent there that year. He did his best to hire new employees and get the process up to normal but the damage had already been done.

Dick Bodenhorn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page