Bill to Remove County Treasurers from Antlerless System - Page 13 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 483Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
The old boy buddy system at the courthouse....certain applications always float to the top of the stack based on the names on the return address.

CT employees obviously know some of the local hunters that apply for tags...some help out their friends and family. It happens....human nature. I know for a fact that it happens at the courthouse across town from me.

Do tell, why exactly would Exec Director Hough claim the CT process is not truly first come first serve during testimony with the House Game & Fisheries Committee?
Do you have proof of those applications floating to the top? Or is it just a rumor and personal opinion without facts to back it up?
OAWC likes this.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” C.S. Lewis
NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
WCO David Grove, LODD 11/11/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:05 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
Second Round?

For some units there is no second round. I and many other hunters don't want a license for just any ole unit. If I can't hunt in the only unit I want to hunt while someone else got a permit for that unit because they might get a chance to hunt there for a few hours I find huge issues with both the logic and fairness of that type of system.

Dick Bodenhorn

You are more important than someone who only hunts a few hours?
post #123 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:08 PM

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet but the problem with the treasurers being involved is that all of the money brought in by all of the treasurers is shared amongst every county. So what incentive is there for treasurer A when they know that treasurers B, C, D, and E will take care of it and treasurer A will get their share anyway?

We had that happen up here in 1B for a couple years when the Erie County treasurer was letting applications pile up on the desk and not processing them and a lot of people who mailed their apps in on time lost out on tags. Then people started sending to Warren and then they pulled the same thing. What happens is that they get a bag full of apps on Monday, dump them in a bin, and either don’t get to them all or don’t get to them AT ALL. Another batch comes in on Tuesday and they dump those on top of what is already there, and so on a so forth. Pretty soon, the guy’s app that came in Monday morning is buried at the bottom of the pile and they end up sold out before they get to his. At the very least, the apps that come in on day one need to be separated if they don’t get to them all and be the first ones processed on Tuesday before anything else is. Some counties hire extra staff for app season, but many do not. Again, what incentive is there for processing the apps that come in when you’ll get your share no matter what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGLE BOY View Post
I don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet but the problem with the treasurers being involved is that all of the money brought in by all of the treasurers is shared amongst every county. So what incentive is there for treasurer A when they know that treasurers B, C, D, and E will take care of it and treasurer A will get their share anyway?

We had that happen up here in 1B for a couple years when the Erie County treasurer was letting applications pile up on the desk and not processing them and a lot of people who mailed their apps in on time lost out on tags. Then people started sending to Warren and then they pulled the same thing. What happens is that they get a bag full of apps on Monday, dump them in a bin, and either don’t get to them all or don’t get to them AT ALL. Another batch comes in on Tuesday and they dump those on top of what is already there, and so on a so forth. Pretty soon, the guy’s app that came in Monday morning is buried at the bottom of the pile and they end up sold out before they get to his. At the very least, the apps that come in on day one need to be separated if they don’t get to them all and be the first ones processed on Tuesday before anything else is. Some counties hire extra staff for app season, but many do not. Again, what incentive is there for processing the apps that come in when you’ll get your share no matter what?

that happened to me in the unsold round here in Erie. i sent mine in on Friday, my buddy sent his in on Monday. my application should have arrived on Monday and his on Wednesday. they sold out Wednesday night. he got a second round and i didnt. the CT just wasnt taking them in order. they most likely never do.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #125 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:05 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by browtine64 View Post
Getting tired of the taxes?

My Md. real estate taxes are bad yes im tired of them. Pa. real estate taxes are a real bargain. Md. regulations are a pita what you can do and not. The worst tax I hate in Md. is the personnel property tax I pay for my business. Every piece of equipment or tool I have to pay a tax every year on it and it pro rates over the years. You actually get penalized for having nice equipment. You sure don't want to build a house in Md either. Now you have to have a sprinkler system installed. That's fine if you want one but you don't have a choice. Where I live the closest company to install one is around 90 miles away.
browtine64 likes this.
post #126 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Do you have proof of those applications floating to the top? Or is it just a rumor and personal opinion without facts to back it up?
Completely fabricated story that I constructed in my spare time....I thought the HPA crew would enjoy it.

Why would I bring it up if I was not sure it was happening? I have seen screen shots of the tag award times in Round 1 and Round 2 for several years. He never missed out on a second round tag, even if there was only a couple hundred remaining in that WMU. I would send to the same courthouse just to see what happened....in the mail on Thursday or Friday before the round opened. I would get awarded on Tuesday or Wednesday.....I had no chance in the second round if the WMU was tight on tags. He never failed to get a 2nd round.

The guy has a family member that works in the courthouse.....like I said, it's human nature to help out a buddy or a family member.

There are guys that post here about their award times as well....some of those guys have an early Monday AM award time every year. It happens....and to deny that it does is absolutely foolish.

.....and please note that in the post you quoted I said, "I know for a fact that it happens at the courthouse across town from me."

Last edited by OAWC; 06-21-2019 at 06:44 AM. Reason: added comments
post #127 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:38 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
Second Round?

For some units there is no second round. I and many other hunters don't want a license for just any ole unit. If I can't hunt in the only unit I want to hunt while someone else got a permit for that unit because they might get a chance to hunt there for a few hours I find huge issues with both the logic and fairness of that type of system.

Dick Bodenhorn
Maybe it's just how you have this worded, but it comes off as you don't have to compete with the masses in this current process. You don't want a process in which you would have to.
OAWC likes this.
post #128 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
Completely fabricated story that I constructed in my spare time....I thought the HPA crew would enjoy it.

Why would I bring it up if I was not sure it was happening? I have seen screen shots of the tag award times in Round 1 and Round 2 for several years. He never missed out on a second round tag, even if there was only a couple hundred remaining in that WMU. I would send to the same courthouse just to see what happened....in the mail on Thursday or Friday before the round opened. I would get awarded on Tuesday or Wednesday.....I had no chance in the second round if the WMU was tight on tags. He never failed to get a 2nd round.

The guy has a family member that works in the courthouse.....like I said, it's human nature to help out a buddy or a family member.

There are guys that post here about their award times as well....some of those guys have an early Monday AM award time every year. It happens....and to deny that it does is absolutely foolish.

.....and please note that in the post you quoted I said, "I know for a fact that it happens at the courthouse across town from me."
I don't doubt that it happens, especially in those rural counties where its much more of a, well like you said a "buddy system". Especially if the CT is in a family or group of people that may be of the "outlaw-ish" breed. But my recommendation for you is that if you know that's happening then send it to a different CT. Have you tried that yet?
OAWC likes this.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” C.S. Lewis
NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
WCO David Grove, LODD 11/11/10
post #129 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:06 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
I don't doubt that it happens, especially in those rural counties where its much more of a, well like you said a "buddy system". Especially if the CT is in a family or group of people that may be of the "outlaw-ish" breed. But my recommendation for you is that if you know that's happening then send it to a different CT. Have you tried that yet?
For sure it happens....and that's just one CT employee. There are 60+ more counties in PA....

Last year I did not purchase a WMU tag - I went the DMAP route. With my son on his MY license this year, I will be getting a WMU tag in addition to the DMAP tags. If I have my milking ducks in a row, MY rules state that I can transfer 1 WMU and 1 DMAP tag to him (but not 2 DMAP's).

For the first round, my local CT works out just fine even with the days of delay in processing - there are plenty of tags for the first round in my WMU of choice. The timing issues come into play on the second round when tags are limited. Now that we can get DMAP tags, I do not have a need for trying to get a second round WMU tag.

I have said it before, but the PGC has done a great job with the DMAP process.
browtine64 likes this.
post #130 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
Ah wing, that's where your so so wrong. You don't have it better. Not even close. You only think you do. We do want you to have it better. But for that to happen the first thing to do is listen to those that went there before. And learn from their experiences. As we age knowledge and experience start to merge. And that becomes wisdom. Hard part is that younger people don't want to listen. They don't realize the truth. THAT's whats depressing.
Dave, I never said “we” have anything better. I said it seems like most boomers don’t want younger generations to have it better than they did. And I’ll stand by that. Plenty of examples here on a daily basis. Fortunately there’s a handful of boomers here who see it, sadly, most don’t.

You say “we” need to learn from “your” experiences, which I can accept as a sensible and sound concept, but I’d assert that in many cases “you” haven’t learned from your own experiences on many issues, which causes mistakes of the past to continue, and stifles progress for the sake of maintaining a familiar and comfortable status quo, and in other cases simply to deny others something “you” didn’t have coming up...

(We, you, and your are used purely in the generational sense and not directed at any individual member)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page