Bill to Remove County Treasurers from Antlerless System - Page 12 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 483Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SC PA
Posts: 3,749
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
Please elaborate on all of the inevitable “problems” you foresee... especially since you insist they are known but unspoken by the PGC. I’m sorry, but having years experience in e-commerce makes me leery to just accept the allusions and blanket statements.
I am also curious to hear what the issues will be and why so many hunters will be unhappy with the results.
OAWC is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #112 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SC PA
Posts: 3,749
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
I dont think anything but you will need a small stool and small hands to milk that duck.
I breed 'em to have really big udders and high milk production.
pchunter1231 likes this.
OAWC is online now  
post #113 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:02 PM
Administrator
 
casey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: milford pa-pike county
Posts: 13,381
Back To Top
A few years back taking AL tags away from the County Treasurer would've gone through but at the last minute Rep Mike Peifer got on his soap box and swayed enough votes to his side and the bill failed.

It'll be interesting to see what happens this time.
bohunr, cspot and OAWC like this.
casey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #114 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:16 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Elk County
Posts: 12,934
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
The Saturday opener move was created to generate more participation on the rifle opener.....that was the goal. We shall see if it comes to fruition in a few months.

There are still CT corruption issues with the current doe tag process....anyone who denies that is absolutely foolish. The PGC may have talked about hunter confusion and dislike for the antiquated process, but I have a feeling that there is some push for it to clean up the CT issues. The PGC came right out and said the current CT process is not first come first serve.....that should tell you something.
What are the County Treasurer corruption issues you are talking about? Sure some County Treasurers issue the licenses faster than others but that darn sure isn't corruption. Besides every hunter can send to any County Treasurer they want so it is up to the applicant if they want to send to one that is on the ball or one who isn't.

As for it not being first come first serve with the County Treasurer system I will say that it is much closer to first come first serve than what the Game Commission plan was when they were discussing it the last time it came up. They were talking an instant lottery system where the computer would randomly pick and reject applicants. Under that system you could be the first applicant to apply and still get rejected for the unit of your choice while someone hours or even days later could be accepted for a license for that unit. You could probably get a license for some unit though even if it wasn't where you wanted to hunt.

Sorry but to me that type of system sucks and is not nearly as good as what we have now.

But, that was several years back with a whole different Harrisburg staff. Maybe it would be done different with the staff making such decisions now. Who knows? What I do know is that the system we have right now works about as good as any license issuing system out there.

Dick Bodenhorn
bohunr likes this.
R. S. B. is online now  
post #115 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SC PA
Posts: 3,749
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post

What are the County Treasurer corruption issues you are talking about? Sure some County Treasurers issue the licenses faster than others but that darn sure isn't corruption. Besides every hunter can send to any County Treasurer they want so it is up to the applicant if they want to send to one that is on the ball or one who isn't.

As for it not being first come first serve with the County Treasurer system I will say that it is much closer to first come first serve than what the Game Commission plan was when they were discussing it the last time it came up.
The old boy buddy system at the courthouse....certain applications always float to the top of the stack based on the names on the return address.

CT employees obviously know some of the local hunters that apply for tags...some help out their friends and family. It happens....human nature. I know for a fact that it happens at the courthouse across town from me.

Do tell, why exactly would Exec Director Hough claim the CT process is not truly first come first serve during testimony with the House Game & Fisheries Committee?
OAWC is online now  
post #116 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:42 PM
The Man
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,427
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
They were talking an instant lottery system where the computer would randomly pick and reject applicants. Under that system you could be the first applicant to apply and still get rejected for the unit of your choice while someone hours or even days later could be accepted for a license for that unit. You could probably get a license for some unit though even if it wasn't where you wanted to hunt.

Dick Bodenhorn
The draw probability would most likely be established by the anticipated number of applicants versus the number of tags allotted for the unit. In units where the anticipated number of applicants are higher than the allotment, those who fail to draw would likely receive priority in a second round.

Applicants deserve a tamper proof system.

IF the PO is pushing applications out the back door to a CT, before established service hours.....the process is tampered with.

Last edited by Curly Maple; 06-20-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Curly Maple is offline  
post #117 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:44 PM
Regular Member
 
Buckskin Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Posts: 1,277
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
Wow... just....wow...

I don't know which thought is more depressing: The acceptance that we are indeed only a few years from the "great boomer die-off", or the realization that said generation is the first in history that DIDN'T want their succeeding generations to have it better than they did...

Ah wing, that's where your so so wrong. You don't have it better. Not even close. You only think you do. We do want you to have it better. But for that to happen the first thing to do is listen to those that went there before. And learn from their experiences. As we age knowledge and experience start to merge. And that becomes wisdom. Hard part is that younger people don't want to listen. They don't realize the truth. THAT's whats depressing.
R. S. B., bohunr, DIYASUB and 2 others like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
Buckskin Dave is offline  
post #118 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:45 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Elk County
Posts: 12,934
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
The old boy buddy system at the courthouse....certain applications always float to the top of the stack based on the names on the return address.

CT employees obviously know some of the local hunters that apply for tags...some help out their friends and family. It happens....human nature. I know for a fact that it happens at the courthouse across town from me.

Do tell, why exactly would Exec Director Hough claim the CT process is not truly first come first serve during testimony with the House Game & Fisheries Committee?
He made that comment because not all of the County Treasurers were processing the applications as fast as others were. That is still true to some extent today but it was more of a problem at that time than it has been in recent years.

Since ANYONE can send to any County Treasurer they want I have never been able to understand why anyone would send to a County Treasurer that wasn't taking the process seriously and processing them all as quickly as possible. I feel that the hunters who send to a slow processing County Treasurer must not really care if they get one or not and thus deserve what they get.

I equate it about the same as hunters who complain that there are no deer in the place they hunt but keep going back to the same spot then complain that it is someone else's fault when they aren't successful. Why shouldn't hunters have to accept some level of responsibility for their own successes or failures?

Dick Bodenhorn
R. S. B. is online now  
post #119 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:50 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Elk County
Posts: 12,934
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Maple View Post
The draw probability would most likely be established by the anticipated number of applicants versus the number of tags allotted for the unit. In units where the anticipated number of applicants are higher than the allotment, those who fail to draw would likely receive priority in a second round.

Applicants deserve a tamper proof system.

IF the PO is pushing applications out the back door to a CT, before established service hours.....the process is tampered with.
Second Round?

For some units there is no second round. I and many other hunters don't want a license for just any ole unit. If I can't hunt in the only unit I want to hunt while someone else got a permit for that unit because they might get a chance to hunt there for a few hours I find huge issues with both the logic and fairness of that type of system.

Dick Bodenhorn
bohunr and Buckskin Dave like this.
R. S. B. is online now  
post #120 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:56 PM
The Man
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,427
Back To Top
The shear numbers of tags compared to the number of applicants, hides a great deal.

If they replaced the elk drawing with the process used for antlerless deer, the same people would be getting the elk tags every year.
Curly Maple is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome