Bill to Remove County Treasurers from Antlerless System - Page 10 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 483Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
You forget one very relevant fact.

I know these people personally, frequently get to speak to them one on one and face to face. I have had the opportunity to ask them questions and get to hear the answers including sometimes the lack of answers to some of the more difficult questions. I have also learned that often the things that remain unsaid are just as important as what is being said.

Unless they come up with something different and lot better than they were talking about the last time this subject came up I will telling you flat out, if and when this happens MANY hunters are going to be very disappointed and wishing we could just go back to the way it is done right now.

I am confident they would eventually be able to work out the problems that would come with the change but make no mistake about the fact that it will take years to work the bugs out enough to have as smooth or even as cost effective system as we have right now.

As for cost it will be the hunters who foot the bill on the increased costs to the Game Commission though. I just paid $3.43 in shipping and handling costs to get my regular license on line. It costs me a grand total of $1.00 in postage to get my antlerless license handled and shipped by the County Treasurer.

Dick Bodenhorn
It sounds as if you are saying that Exec Director Hough fed the House Game & Fisheries Committee a line of B.S.....interesting.

I assume that your license shipment includes the hunting digest, which will definitely cost more to ship in comparison to a doe tag. How much of the $3.43 is postage and how much is processing I do not know.

If I'm already driving by or patronizing a license vendor, it costs me nothing to ship my license and/or doe tag.
cspot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:

I know these people personally, frequently get to speak to them one on one and face to face. I have had the opportunity to ask them questions and get to hear the answers including sometimes the lack of answers to some of the more difficult questions. I have also learned that often the things that remain unsaid are just as important as what is being said.

Unless they come up with something different and lot better than they were talking about the last time this subject came up I will telling you flat out, if and when this happens MANY hunters are going to be very disappointed and wishing we could just go back to the way it is done right now.

I am confident they would eventually be able to work out the problems that would come with the change but make no mistake about the fact that it will take years to work the bugs out enough to have as smooth or even as cost effective system as we have right now.

As for cost it will be the hunters who foot the bill on the increased costs to the Game Commission though. I just paid $3.43 in shipping and handling costs to get my regular license on line. It costs me a grand total of $1.00 in postage to get my antlerless license handled and shipped by the County Treasurer.

Dick Bodenhorn
It only cost me .34 cents in gas to buy mine at the Local Gun Shop.
And I picked up some Ammo.
OAWC likes this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #93 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
It sounds as if you are saying that Exec Director Hough fed the House Game & Fisheries Committee a line of B.S.....interesting.

I assume that your license shipment includes the hunting digest, which will definitely cost more to ship in comparison to a doe tag. How much of the $3.43 is postage and how much is processing I do not know.

If I'm already driving by or patronizing a license vendor, it costs me nothing to ship my license and/or doe tag.
Executive Director Hough retired years ago.
bohunr, Buff, browtine64 and 1 others like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:42 PM

I don't see any issues with the current system at all. I put my envelope in the mail on Friday and I always get my tags for my preferred WMU. Its funny how some people get all nuts about moving the rifle opener to Saturday because its ending tradition, yet some of the same people want to end the tradition of sending in for you doe tags. Hmm...must be because it doesn't involve drinking lol.
bohunr likes this.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” C.S. Lewis
NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
WCO David Grove, LODD 11/11/10
post #95 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:49 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

So in the past 10 years or so, I would guess that I have either applied for, or bought bonus points for 30 or so quota permits/licenses/tags in a variety of states. Elk, moose, mule deer, antelope, turkey. And in each case there has been an application deadline that I could either submit by mail or online. My choice. Except for one of course. PA anterless tags which do not have a deadline but instead is like a bunch of runners in a track meet all at the same starting line and take off when the starters pistol fires. The solution is really easy. Declare a deadline. Mail or online apps accepted by that date at the choice of the applicant. Pay by check, money order, credit card, paypal, whatever. Leftovers go into a secondary draw with its own deadline or become over the counter. If you lose the first draw then you settle for 2nd choice. Maybe there is a good reason why everyone else does it the other way.

The connection to the county treasurers is a remnant of the old county by county anterless quota system. With that no longer the case, it's hard to make a logical argument to keep the counties involved. And like others have said, why should the county treasurers feel entitled to these funds.
OAWC and Six-Gun like this.
post #96 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:52 PM

I wondered how long it would take to get the yearly doe tag debacle going...
bohunr and browtine64 like this.
post #97 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by browtine64 View Post
I don't see any issues with the current system at all. I put my envelope in the mail on Friday and I always get my tags for my preferred WMU. Its funny how some people get all nuts about moving the rifle opener to Saturday because its ending tradition, yet some of the same people want to end the tradition of sending in for you doe tags. Hmm...must be because it doesn't involve drinking lol.
Everyone drinks, how else do you stay Hydrated? I like Beer.
I don't care how I get my Doe tag, I'm fine with the current system.
My initial response was in reference to a cheaper way for the PGC to get it to you.
browtine64 likes this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #98 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:55 PM
Sage

Not nearly long enough.
hacimsaalk likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #99 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Dick Bodenhorn

Also relevant in this discussion is you know how to work the system so that you have better odds at getting the tags that you want. A change to a lottery system would everyone on a level playing field. That is the main reason that you don't want to see the change.

Facts are there are better systems that would save the PGC money. It should be done.
Danesdad and OAWC like this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Last edited by cspot; 06-20-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #100 of 411 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacimsaalk View Post
I wondered how long it would take to get the yearly doe tag debacle going...

It's an annual tradition

[/runs for cover]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page