Sunday Hunting Passes Committee - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 149Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Sunday Hunting Passes Committee

Sunday Hunting bill passes appropriations committee today. Only allows 3 Sundays.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...RollCallId=361

Senate Bill 147, which would empower the Game Commission to regulate Sunday hunting, has taken the next step toward lifting the ban on Sunday hunting in Pennsylvania.

The bill passed the Appropriations Committee in the state Senate, but did so with some significant changes from the original bill.

The way the bill was amended Tuesday would lift the ban on three Sundays throughout the year. The original bill called for 14 Sundays, with 10 potentially occurring in the fall and four in the spring.

"I'm pleased to see this go through," said Harold Daub, executive director of the Pennsylvania Sportsmen and Conservationists. "At least we are providing some opportunities to Pennsylvania families and hunters."

"It's less than I hoped for, but considering the fact that law has been in effect since 1895, I'll take it as a win," said Sen. Dan Laughlin, R-Erie, the bill's prime sponsor.

If the bill is passed, the Game Commission would have the power to choose three Sundays per year to allow hunting.

Laughlin was a co-prime sponsor of the bill with Sen. Jim Brewster, D-Allegheny County, and both believe the bill will be agreeable to all sides moving forward.

"We're at a point where people who were opposed are now neutral, and I think once this passes the General Assembly, everyone will eventually be comfortable with it," Brewster said.

The bill will now go to the Senate floor, and if passed will head over to the House. If passed there, it will go to the governor's desk to be signed into law.

Laughlin hopes the bill will hit the Senate floor no later than next week.

"I'm very confident it will get passed here now," Laughlin said of the upcoming Senate vote. "When we took it from 14 Sundays down to three, which the Farm Bureau was OK with, about 99% of the opposition went away."
bohunr and Laylow like this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Gov. Wolf has bigger fish to fry like legalizing marijuana.
bohunr likes this.
post #3 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Honestly they can pound sand, this is an all or nothing debate and there is no middle ground. Either the PGC is given total control of all the Sunday’s or they aren’t, I don’t want the legislature holding additional days over them like a hostage to use in a future negotiation. The fact that they walked it back from 14 days to 3 proves that is exactly what they intend to do.

So as much as I would love to hunt on Sunday I hope this bill dies immediately before it sets a terrible precedent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:12 PM
Regular Visitor

I agree wit CMP7036 , they already cut it from 14 to possibly 7 and now 3. I don't like the idea of the PGC being held hostage by the politicians. Either give them total control or trash the idea , what's 3 days , just my opinion.
bohunr and Waynzee like this.
post #5 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP70306 View Post
Honestly they can pound sand, this is an all or nothing debate and there is no middle ground. Either the PGC is given total control of all the Sunday’s or they aren’t, I don’t want the legislature holding additional days over them like a hostage to use in a future negotiation. The fact that they walked it back from 14 days to 3 proves that is exactly what they intend to do.

So as much as I would love to hunt on Sunday I hope this bill dies immediately before it sets a terrible precedent.
I agree in principle, but I think that 3 is better than nothing. Perhaps after a couple of years when the sky doesn't fall then additional days can be added.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:18 PM

3 is better than 0, but this is almost laughable in a sense. Don't get me wrong, I'll be grateful if this passes but the stupidity and the politics of it is just silly.

I'm assuming that at least 2 of the 3 will be used during rifle deer season. Presuming these 3 will be used during the most "high impact" seasons hopefully people will realize that the sky is not falling. Then we can pass full control in years to come.

I think that's the biggest problem with this whole debate is that people irrationally think this is going to have some big impact on safety, disturbance, conflict, etc... When in reality it's only a handful of Sundays per year that people will most likely experience any effects from this. Maybe the PGC should call their bluff and use the 3 Sundays during bobcat, groundhog, or some other "low participation" seasons so we can say "I told you so! No one has complained"
bohunr, cspot, Vonfoust and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:18 PM

I would like to be positive, but this is nonsense! 3 Sundays??????????
bohunr likes this.
post #8 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:35 PM

3 is better than nothing. I'm fine with it. It will only increase in the future.
post #9 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:44 PM

As was hinted at in the article, I would rather see 3 days pass easily than 14 days fail in the legislature. I'm glad to hear that Sen. Laughlin believes it will pass easily....I hope he is right.

A small victory is still a victory
PAlimbhanger, bohunr and cspot like this.

Last edited by Marcus99; 06-18-2019 at 08:46 PM.
post #10 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:58 PM

I feel that full regulatory control of Sunday hunting should be moved to the PGC so I won't actively support this bill. I will not oppose this bill, however. If it passes, I will continue to push for legislation that transfers full regulatory control to the PGC. That will be easier when the Sunday hunting doomsday prophecies do not come to fruition, if this bill passes.

My three Sundays would be youth Turkey, rifle bear, and rifle opener.
bohunr, PA boxcall and Vonfoust like this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Last edited by dpms; 06-18-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page