Sunday Hunting Passes Committee - Page 8 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 149Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:42 AM

Down the road 3 will revert back to 14 watch.

9-11-01 SOME GAVE SOMETHING. 343 GAVE ALL F.D.N.Y.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent20 View Post
After hearing everyone talk about the saturday opener and how it benefits so many hunters. Wouldn’t you want to increase the opportunity even more. As far as impact days and deer harvest numbers, I assume that could be managed by anterless allocations. I’d rather not have Sunday hunting at all.
We all no it has nothing to do with opportunity so i will leave it at that. The doe allocations are already set for this year so they cannot reduce that if the 3 Sundays are passed and 2 are added to rifle. HR is still on going if some want to believe it or not. The experts on here will disagree however. over 21,000 DMAP tags given out and 65,000 more doe tags for 2019 looks like HR to me. I believe most tags were added to control CWD. Sunday hunting i can take it or leave it makes no difference to me but adding 2 more high impact days to rifle is a concern. IF the PGC sees more licenses being sold by adding 2 sundays to rifle they will do it no matter what. All about the benjamins. Most of the decisions that are being made are social not wildlife management anyway. Just my 2 cents anyway
outofstater and Brent20 like this.

4B
post #73 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
Yeah, I figure it only makes sense that firearms season will be placated the most. I think everyone's first thought when the Saturday opener was announced is that you pretty much have to add in Sunday hunting at that point for it to make any kind of sense. It would be absurd for people to travel to hunt, get one day to do so, and then have to sit around. It will be interesting to see *if* this goes through where the added days end up falling. REALLY interesting, particularly the day(s) outside of firearms season.

As others have stated, as it's currently slated with a 3-day concession versus just passing a blanket Sunday hunting allowance, this whole thing is going to end up with some bad blood amongst various hunter groups, no matter how it's sliced.
I agree, we all saw what happened with the Saturday opener and the various groups that went against each other. If they give one group a Sunday or 2 the other groups will be up in arms in thinking they are entitled to a Sunday as well. I just dont see this as a good thing. 3 is not that many and groups will be left out or make the Sundays in seasons where you can hunt the most game. I just think its should be all or nothing.
Six-Gun likes this.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If they add 2 Sundays to rifle season this year (for the record, I do not see it happening for the 2019-20 seasons), antlerless would only increase by 1 day - granted it will be high impact. The first Sunday will be antlered only for the majority of the state...and the areas in which you can harvest doe during the first week (SRA's) are looking to reduce deer numbers anyway.

Will antlerless tag allocations need to be modified to accommodate a high impact Sunday hunting day? Not sure....hopefully we get to find out in the near future.
post #75 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:05 PM
The Man

That's the way Md. years ago started it only allowing a few then increasing it then only on private ground. Im not a big fan of it but if it does happen I hope Pa. does a better job at it then Md. did. Make it all state wide, every Sunday, and all ground public and private. Md. even had certain counties or zones it was very confusing.
post #76 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:13 PM
The Man

I guess to make everyone happy pick your 3 Sunday's when you buy your licenses!
post #77 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater View Post
That's the way Md. years ago started it only allowing a few then increasing it then only on private ground. Im not a big fan of it but if it does happen I hope Pa. does a better job at it then Md. did. Make it all state wide, every Sunday, and all ground public and private. Md. even had certain counties or zones it was very confusing.
Yeah, the Maryland model kind of scares me. They gave just enough concession that the movement to add more opportunity has kind of lost traction, and you still have plenty of places/times where you can't hunt. They only get private ground, only certain counties, etc. and despite having at least SOME Sunday hunting, the whole thing is highly annoying and leaves a lot to be desired. It seems that their legislature figured out that once people get their piece of the action, they aren't terribly inclined to lobby any further for anyone else. The legislatures can then spare themselves from inflaming their non-hunting constituents any further by dodging the issue going forward...

"Well, at least we gave you hunters have something, and something is better than nothing right?"

That's why I'm inclined to have seen the whole bill scrapped versus taking what we can get.

Hopefully, one day in my lifetime (preferably while I am still physically able to hunt) my birth state of PA ends up like where I live now. We talk about hunting and it's impact on farmers in PA, but Nebraska is 90% private land and the vast majority of that is farmland. We have unlimited Sunday hunting opportunities here across all open seasons, and hunters and farmer/farm bureau relations are doing great.
OAWC likes this.

Last edited by Six-Gun; 06-20-2019 at 01:01 PM.
post #78 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeS1922 View Post
It's like being a little pregnant !
That can be, by the ninth month of Pregnancy most women are a lot Bigger.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #79 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:46 PM
The Man

During the Saturday start bickering, it was resolved by many that the rifle season should be set in stone and never offered additional opportunity again. Now the shoes on the other foot, and some of those same people are against 3 days.
yellodog likes this.
post #80 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:54 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
Yeah, the Maryland model kind of scares me. They gave just enough concession that the movement to add more opportunity has kind of lost traction, and you still have plenty of places/times where you can't hunt. They only get private ground, only certain counties, etc. and despite having at least SOME Sunday hunting, the whole thing is highly annoying and leaves a lot to be desired. It seems that their legislature figured out that once people get their piece of the action, they aren't terribly inclined to lobby any further for anyone else and spare them from inflaming their non-hunting constituents any further. That's why I'm inclined to have seen the whole bill scrapped versus taking what we can get.

Hopefully, one day in my lifetime (preferably while I am still physically able to hunt) my birth state of PA ends up like where I live now. We talk about hunting and it's impact on farmers in PA, but Nebraska is 90% private land and the vast majority of that is farmland. We have unlimited Sunday hunting opportunities here across all open seasons, and hunters and farmer/farm bureau relations are doing great.
Yes my beef with the Md. thing is private ground only. I do have the perk of owning my own property in Pa. but many others don't. Everyone pays the same price for license they should have the same rules private or public. Im now thinking Md. did it that way as has been mentioned on here before, of the tree huggers don't want to see a hunter on public ground on Sundays . We here in Western Md. is controlled by the idiots down east. I still think a few Sundays is a confusing way to do something. Md. rifle opener is Sat. the first year of Sunday and even now one of the days are Sunday after rifle not sure about the second one but some in bow season. I think if it happens 100% or nothing.
Six-Gun likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page