Sunday Hunting Passes Committee - Page 6 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 149Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
Sunday Hunting bill passes appropriations committee today. Only allows 3 Sundays.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...RollCallId=361

Senate Bill 147, which would empower the Game Commission to regulate Sunday hunting, has taken the next step toward lifting the ban on Sunday hunting in Pennsylvania.

The bill passed the Appropriations Committee in the state Senate, but did so with some significant changes from the original bill.

The way the bill was amended Tuesday would lift the ban on three Sundays throughout the year. The original bill called for 14 Sundays, with 10 potentially occurring in the fall and four in the spring.

"I'm pleased to see this go through," said Harold Daub, executive director of the Pennsylvania Sportsmen and Conservationists. "At least we are providing some opportunities to Pennsylvania families and hunters."

"It's less than I hoped for, but considering the fact that law has been in effect since 1895, I'll take it as a win," said Sen. Dan Laughlin, R-Erie, the bill's prime sponsor.

If the bill is passed, the Game Commission would have the power to choose three Sundays per year to allow hunting.

Laughlin was a co-prime sponsor of the bill with Sen. Jim Brewster, D-Allegheny County, and both believe the bill will be agreeable to all sides moving forward.

"We're at a point where people who were opposed are now neutral, and I think once this passes the General Assembly, everyone will eventually be comfortable with it," Brewster said.

The bill will now go to the Senate floor, and if passed will head over to the House. If passed there, it will go to the governor's desk to be signed into law.

Laughlin hopes the bill will hit the Senate floor no later than next week.

"I'm very confident it will get passed here now," Laughlin said of the upcoming Senate vote. "When we took it from 14 Sundays down to three, which the Farm Bureau was OK with, about 99% of the opposition went away."

3 Sundays? This is not a Sunday hunting bill it is a Sunday deer hunting bill. If you can hunt 3 Sundays why not all Sundays? Well unless it is used for help with Herd reduction.

It really sounds like the GA is setting the der seasons not handing over authority to the PGC. Here are 3 Sundays now put them where we want them. LOL Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.

Last edited by jimbridger; 06-19-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:19 PM

Personally I will take 3 days over none, its a step in the right direction. But I agree with the others who said the PGC should have complete control.

Good luck, Tony
Marcus99 likes this.
post #53 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:23 PM

Yes james, I think that might be what it's about, at least for now.

Pence/Putin 2024
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post
My rationale against this partial SH bill is it is still legislative meddling in regulations and/or seasons. I am generally against any legislation that meddles in regulations and/or seasons.

If I support this, it sets a precedent that legislative meddling is "okay" in certain circumstances. In my opinion, it isn't. Let the PGC do their job and regulate hunting on a full time basis. Pass a bill that transfers all authority to the PGC.
It's strictly a social issue not a management issue, so I'm pretty neutral on the who, why, and how. If we need to adjust the harvest that's easily done thru antlerless allotments, season length is secondary. IF, and I'm not sure it's true, MOST pfb members oppose sunday hunting, I'd expect pfb to oppose it if I was a member. And a group that represents the #1 industry in pa oughta' carry some weight with the politicians, as it should, no?

Pence/Putin 2024
post #55 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:46 PM

No matter how much we disagree with what has been proposed the fact is that total control transfer to PGC is clearly NOT politically feasible at this time. If it were that popular and feasible it probably would have happened! Heck even the 14days won't fly!

Is the legislature "meddling"? You're darn right they are! but that's the situation that we're in. There isn't some larger and more powerful entity that is going to swoop down and save us from the legislative process. We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that hunters are a small minority in this state. Change is going to take time and will obviously be incremental. 3 is better than 0. A small victory is still a victory. There is no where to go but up.

So some of you are against this because it sets a precedent of legislative control and meddling? Guess what, the legislature is already in control! Who exactly are you going to voice your opposition to? The legislature? Let me know how that works out.

Last edited by Marcus99; 06-19-2019 at 10:51 PM.
post #56 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post
My rationale against this partial SH bill is it is still legislative meddling in regulations and/or seasons. I am generally against any legislation that meddles in regulations and/or seasons.

If I support this, it sets a precedent that legislative meddling is "okay" in certain circumstances. In my opinion, it isn't. Let the PGC do their job and regulate hunting on a full time basis. Pass a bill that transfers all authority to the PGC.
Youíre getting tangled up in the politics. This is a long long standing law that has the opportunity to make some progress. If we get 3 Sundayís, make them the highest impact days, like mid rifle, a day in fall when most seasons are open and a spring turkey day. Then after a few years, we revisit and ask PFB for cases where the sky has fallen. Once itís clearly known that it was much ado about nothing, then the door opens for full PGC authority. Political? Yes but also strategic.
yellodog and Tony300wby like this.
post #57 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:08 AM

The PFB made this decision for the state with this press release back in February and I'll be amazed if it doesn't match this exactly by time it's over. Start reading about 3/4 of the way down.

https://www.pennlive.com/life/2019/0...this-time.html

"live and learn, and then catch fish"
post #58 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:11 AM

First Sunday of archery, first Sunday of rifle, and first Sunday of flintlock. Whether the pfb caves on it being for antlerless only is probably the only real discussion left to have at this point.

"live and learn, and then catch fish"
post #59 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:12 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

God do I loathe the PFB now....morons.....the lot of them.

Against this now....all or nothing, is my take. Even more morons in the GA.....I'll be sending notes to my Senator to vote no on this particular bill, as it currently is worded, not that it will amount to anything.

Sunday hunting during archery season will be fun.....with or without any passed legislation! :-)
Vonfoust likes this.

Suburban redneck.
post #60 of 133 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Two of them should be the first Sunday after the Saturday opener and the following Sunday.
That may ease the pain for those who wanted it to remain a Monday opener.
Would keep guys at camp longer in turn offsetting the local loss of business.
Wingatchtochwilsit likes this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page