PGC Audit - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

PGC Audit

This is a summary of a recent article on the findings of the Audit,

Direct Quotes
No ones stealing money at the Pennsylvania Game Commission.
But they're not doing a terribly good job at managing it either.
That's the conclusion of Pennsylvania Auditor General Eugene DePasquale.

My audit report shows the Game Commission must do a better job of managing the finances
DePasquale said.

His report listed 11 findings and 43 recommended improvements, the latter "the highest total ever for a state agency"
DePasquale said. It directed 40 of those at the commission and three at the state legislature.

The biggest problem he said is the the commission had millions of dollars in accounts that it's chief financial officer was not even
aware of.
This is, perhaps, the most critical part of our audit, DePasquale said.

He pointed to seven escrow accounts containing a total of $6.5 million. The largest held more than $1 million each.

The commission's top financial officer was unaware of the accounts and could not say how much was in them or what they were for.
DePasquale said.
One was even dormant and costing the commission unnecessary fee's.

This is not the entire article, just some of the highlights I found intriguing. I figured not everyone here would see the article and would find some of this interesting.
So Don't Shoot the Messenger, please

Potter County
Gods Country USA

Last edited by Potter Co. Joe; 06-18-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:30 AM

I see it as just another politician setting the stage for a future run at robbing the Sportsmen of this Commonwealth with a legislative take over of the Game Commission funds. It is the ONLY agency in the state that doesn't spend every nickel it receives every year so the politicians figure they must be mismanaging their funds.

The Auditor General only told half of the story. Probably even less than half of the real story and facts if the whole truth were known. Perhaps he should explain how and why the Governor's Office of Administration cuts things out of the Game Commission budget every year and thus will not let them spend those reserve funds down. But then I suspect the rest of the story and truth wouldn't work as well in their agenda of creating public mistrust of the Game Commission.

I know his comments have caused me to be ever vigilant and less likely to vote for him in his future political moves. Right now I see him as simply being less than honest and honorable. I have always viewed the lack of reporting known information as being just as deceitful as being a flat out liar.

At this point I don't know if he is the one failing to tell the whole story if it is mostly the reporting media who is the most at fault. But, I know they painted a picture that is less than being completely correct. That doesn't mean there are not areas for improvement in the Game Commission accounting process, it just means that there is nothing inappropriate with the way the Game Commission has been using the Sportsmen's dollars in the past or the present.

In fact if all of the state agencies were run as efficiently and effectively as the Game Commission we would all be a lot better off and not be paying near as much in taxes as we are.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

The report didn't sway me one way or the other, like the old saying 2 sides to every story.
The only thing I questioned if I'm correct is that only after the audit the PGC announced no license fee hike was needed.
On a good note I'm glad the commission is okay financially because had a hike been needed I was okay with it if it was truly warranted.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:51 AM
Banned

Some things never change! The Auditor General is doing his job AUDITING! His audit found no wrong doing but did turn up some issues, in the audit, that in his opinion should be looked at. But the problem here is NOTHING can ever be stated about the PGC this is not in the best of light! If there wre available funds, sitting dormant, costing the PGC money isn't that something to explore? If there are accounts on the books that have been "lost" or people do not know about isn't that a good thing to take those funds & invest or utilize them? All in all it was a good audit but if there are things that can be done better isn't it the obligation of the PGC to do the best wit what they have? The constant defenders of the PGC need to know when to READ an audit and possibly make some corrections for the betterment of the agency/hunters! No agency should be above a audit when public funds are involved. This was not IMHO a hatchet job but a standard audit of a state organization. Honest I do not feel the PGC is at all concerned with the audits findings. Nor should they be. A couple things to clean up to possibly help the agency. And all the chicken little's on here the sky is not falling! The PGC has apparently been doing a good job from a finance stand point and with a couple tweeks could be doing better!! I have been thru countless audits in the business world and their job is to find possible issues and make recommendations to avert possible problems down the road! Too many conspiracy theorist out there the AG has political motives, he is a Democrat or Republican or maybe he is just doing the job he was elected to do! It was a good audit what would the reaction be had he found problems??
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:53 PM
Frequent Contributor

This thread should go well.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:07 PM

My money is on the dead horse getting whipped. Waugh!
Nightblaster and Waynzee like this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

Wait a minute, I thought the only dead horses authorized for repeat beatings were SH, SA, AR/HR, and Saturday Opener???
I guess I missed the memo...
Steeltrap and Waynzee like this.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:40 PM
The Man

This calls for another stamp.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
There is a cure for that, Abstinence, lay off the keyboard.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
Don't worry...the PGC will always be protected here even when there is nothing to protect it from! The perceived conspiracy against the PGC is alive & well. I take it, from some fellow members, the AG should neglect his duty and give the PGC a pass. Maybe be exempt from audit or any scrutiny? The PGC basically passed the audit unscathed with the exception of some minor findings & recommendations and the AG is the one being questioned!! If anything the AG should be commended for doing a thorough audit and showing the PGC is handling it's business in a responsible manor! There is no indictment of the PGC here....just a suggestion of a few tweeks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page