PGC Audit - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I thought the article and it's findings were pretty Fair. I didn't sense any wrong doing on the AG's part nor the PGC.
I only brought this article to light on here because even though most knew the outcome of the audit but may not have known
all the details in the report.
I didn't even get into the Oil & Gas finances in the article that definitely raises other questions.
I didn't take anything out of the report that I believe either side needed to defend.
I posted in the past that I'm not anti PGC but dare question any impropriety and it's hang em High.
Hunter58 likes this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

It's gonna be the latest stamp with involvement from the auditor general. A must have if you wanna hunt on any public or private land (yes...both)

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:08 PM

Both AGs in Pa ( Auditor General and Attortney General ) aspire for greatness through higher office here in the Commonwealth. Both are political hacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter58 View Post
Some things never change! The Auditor General is doing his job AUDITING! His audit found no wrong doing but did turn up some issues, in the audit, that in his opinion should be looked at. But the problem here is NOTHING can ever be stated about the PGC this is not in the best of light! If there wre available funds, sitting dormant, costing the PGC money isn't that something to explore? If there are accounts on the books that have been "lost" or people do not know about isn't that a good thing to take those funds & invest or utilize them? All in all it was a good audit but if there are things that can be done better isn't it the obligation of the PGC to do the best wit what they have? The constant defenders of the PGC need to know when to READ an audit and possibly make some corrections for the betterment of the agency/hunters! No agency should be above a audit when public funds are involved. This was not IMHO a hatchet job but a standard audit of a state organization. Honest I do not feel the PGC is at all concerned with the audits findings. Nor should they be. A couple things to clean up to possibly help the agency. And all the chicken little's on here the sky is not falling! The PGC has apparently been doing a good job from a finance stand point and with a couple tweeks could be doing better!! I have been thru countless audits in the business world and their job is to find possible issues and make recommendations to avert possible problems down the road! Too many conspiracy theorist out there the AG has political motives, he is a Democrat or Republican or maybe he is just doing the job he was elected to do! It was a good audit what would the reaction be had he found problems??
No one is saying that the Game Commission shouldn't be audited or that there aren't always going to be recommendations on places for improvement. But, the FACT is the way the report was reported by the Auditor General and/or the media it painted a picture that the Game Commission was sitting on hoards of money and thus don't need a license increase. That in my opinion was done very intentionally, to rally the troops not to support a license increase in the future. And it worked out exactly that way too. In fact the Game Commission had little choice but to publicly say it was no longer seeking a license increase.

In my opinion that has forced the Game Commission into a very dangerous position. Though 76 million dollars, or what ever the amount was, sounds like a lot of money it really isn't when your annual budget of expenditures is around a hundred million for a year. That reserve is only enough to run the agency at normal activity for about eight months. Plus there is fact that the audit was for a fiscal year that ends right after the largest influx, the annual hunting license sales, have just come in. That is also the most likely reason that various accounts showed a good bit of money since a high percentage of each license sales money goes into reserved accounts to make sure it is available and used as designated by the legislative mandates.

But neither the Auditor General nor the media made any mention of those very important details. WHY? Since they failed to provide the rest of the story it left most hunters and general public believing there is no need for the Game Commission to have a license fee increase in the foreseeable future, when in fact there really is.

Do I think this was done intentionally and deceptively? Your darn right I do.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
But neither the Auditor General nor the media made any mention of those very important details. WHY? Since they failed to provide the rest of the story it left most hunters and general public believing there is no need for the Game Commission to have a license fee increase in the foreseeable future, when in fact there really is.

Do I think this was done intentionally and deceptively? Your darn right I do.

Dick Bodenhorn
And we have grown to expect all the conspiracy theories from some! There is an old saying that goes something like "sometimes your too close to the forest to see the trees". You choose to question & pick apart even a good audit! People disparage the AG because he is an elected official. The AG chose the wrong time to audit! The media took this the wrong way! Is there any possibility that your position on all things PGC could be somewhat clouded because of your association with the PGC? I would make a terrible gambler because I would bet with my heart NOT with my head. I believe posting with your heart not your head can be just as bad!! Being an open forum we are are entitled to an opinion within the forum rules. Everyone seems to agree the PGC has done a good job with it's fiscal management.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter58 View Post
And we have grown to expect all the conspiracy theories from some! There is an old saying that goes something like "sometimes your too close to the forest to see the trees". You choose to question & pick apart even a good audit! People disparage the AG because he is an elected official. The AG chose the wrong time to audit! The media took this the wrong way! Is there any possibility that your position on all things PGC could be somewhat clouded because of your association with the PGC? I would make a terrible gambler because I would bet with my heart NOT with my head. I believe posting with your heart not your head can be just as bad!! Being an open forum we are are entitled to an opinion within the forum rules. Everyone seems to agree the PGC has done a good job with it's fiscal management.
If you go back to the beginning of the thread you will find not everyone thinks the PGC did a good job with it's fiduciary responsibility. Of course it is the usual suspects.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Let's put a few things together here for a bigger picture. When the audit was announced, remember who was with the Auditor general. USP & a legislator that has been very hostile to the PGC. If anyone gets the PA. outdoor news read the article on the audit. The very end The Auditor General makes the statement very plainly that he will recommend no license for the PGC. Hmmm. Since he could find no wrongdoing by the PGC, he wanted to make sure that the politicians & the USP had something to deny a license increase.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M. View Post
Let's put a few things together here for a bigger picture. When the audit was announced, remember who was with the Auditor general. USP & a legislator that has been very hostile to the PGC. If anyone gets the PA. outdoor news read the article on the audit. The very end The Auditor General makes the statement very plainly that he will recommend no license for the PGC. Hmmm. Since he could find no wrongdoing by the PGC, he wanted to make sure that the politicians & the USP had something to deny a license increase.
And that’s where I feel the AG messed up. As Joe Friday on the Dragnet series used to say....Just the facts ma’am. The AG’s comment about no need for a license increase reminds me of Jim Comey’s recommendation the Hilary Clinton not be charged with a crime. The FBI should do investigations, and the Pa. AG should count money. Leave the commentary and interpretations of the findings to others.
tdd, OAWC and LowGear like this.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M. View Post
And that’s where I feel the AG messed up. As Joe Friday on the Dragnet series used to say....Just the facts ma’am. The AG’s comment about no need for a license increase reminds me of Jim Comey’s recommendation the Hilary Clinton not be charged with a crime. The FBI should do investigations, and the Pa. AG should count money. Leave the commentary and interpretations of the findings to others.
BINGO, BINGO, BINGO.

The AG has no business commenting or recommending ANYTHING in regards to a license fee increase.

This was a hit job on the PGC, coordinated with the media to attempt to continue to erode trust of the PGC. The state wants to make it clear that THEY control things when it comes to the PGC and they will continue to attempt to hamstring the organization and drive them into the ground so that they can eventually take over.

The entire way that the audit was reported on and the insinuations and misleading stories were intentionally meant to imply that the PGC was sitting on piles of cash like Scrooge McDuck, while at the same time asking for a license fee increase. It was intentional on their part to not tell the whole story, knowing full well that most hunters wouldn’t dig deeper to find out that the Governor’s budget office controls how much money the PGC can spend out of this account, or they fact that OGM revenues can be very volatile and unpredictable. They just wanted to paint the PGC as a greedy organization, asking for more money while they already had excessive amounts “hidden” here and there.

Sure, the reality of the situation is that the audit didn’t find any wrongdoing but that gets lost in the misleading reporting, desperately attempting to anger hunters and turn them against the PGC even more. It’s standard procedure for the government to work in conjunction with the media to shape the narrative and bend people’s perception of things...
R. S. B., DIYASUB and Steeltrap like this.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGLE BOY View Post
They just wanted to paint the PGC as a greedy organization, asking for more money while they already had excessive amounts “hidden” here and there.

Sure, the reality of the situation is that the audit didn’t find any wrongdoing but that gets lost in the misleading reporting, desperately attempting to anger hunters and turn them against the PGC even more. It’s standard procedure for the government to work in conjunction with the media to shape the narrative and bend people’s perception of things...
Kinda like "alternative truth???? SMH...what a shame everyone is against the poor little PGC!! If it's not a glowing report ( that this kinda was!!) on these guys it's a conspiracy....I am thinking about inventing blaze orange aluminum foil so all the conspiracy theorist can wear their tin foil hat on the opening SATURDAY of deer season!!! LMAO

Last edited by Hunter58; 06-21-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page