Auditor General: PGC "sitting" on $72 million - Page 16 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 245Likes
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:41 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 1,653
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
Prove it you say?

You verified that it happens, and that you were a part of it, in your earlier post on the subject.

Maybe you don't see it as corruption, or even wrong, but I would say the VAST MAJORITY of this Commonwealth's citizens and taxpayers would say it is both wrong and corruption.

Dick Bodenhorn
I never verified anything other than I worked overtime which I was offered. Same as the OT you took while working. Still want to see the corruption as you say? Can you show where a law was ever broken? If so please call the AG. See Dick PSP works construction zones on OT. Up until someone says it is not an OT issue than it is OT. My last year I worked in construction zones on OT which calculated my end of year salary. Never once was I offered more than any other person. This Commonwealth demands we be in those construction zones and until you can provide any evidence of corruption other than you opinion, it is only your opinion.
Hunter58 likes this.
338/378wm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:45 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 1,653
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
You wouldn't admit to the truth if it fell on your head!

State police troopers use overtime to fatten pensions, Trib finds
Debra Erdley DEBRA ERDLEY | Saturday, October 24, 2015 9:00 p.m.
DETAILS
The cost of ‘spiking'

A state trooper who listed $95,000 as his or her highest year's earnings would be eligible for a maximum annual pension of 75 percent of that figure, or $71,250 a year. If that trooper earned enough overtime to boost his or her pension earnings to $75,000 a year, the additional $3,750 a year would amount to $75,000 over 20 years.

RELATED CONTENT
Pa. State Police recruiters struggle to find a few good men, women
Editor`s note: This is the second part of a two-part series about the Pennsylvania State Police staffing crisis. Brian Carpenter is one of 10 troopers...
Pa. State Police recruiters struggle to find a few good men, women
EMAIL NEWSLETTERS
TribLIVE's Daily and Weekly email newsletters deliver the news you want and information you need, right to your inbox.

Some Pennsylvania state troopers are boosting their pensions by tens of thousands of dollars through a controversial practice called “spiking,” a Tribune-Review analysis of state salary and pension records revealed.

Because their retirement plan is based on their single highest year’s earnings, troopers who rack up large amounts of overtime compensation late in their careers can “spike” the amount they receive in retirement.

Records show that 80 percent of those who retired with 25 years of service spiked their pensions over an 18-month period.

The practice makes the troopers’ pension benefits even more enticing. And experts say it’s fueling an unprecedented exodus that could grow as more than 1,000 troopers become eligible for retirement this year and nearly 40 percent of the agency’s officers qualify for pensions in the next four years.

Many states have banned spiking, but Pennsylvania is not among them. The troopers’ pension plan allows them to retire with 25 years of service at 75 percent of their highest year’s earnings and lifetime health benefits.

Even before overtime, most rank-and-file troopers with 25 years of experience collect salaries of $95,000 a year.

Although pensions vary, depending on how retirees opt to take their benefits, the Trib found that:

• Of 270 troopers who retired with at least 25 years of service between Jan. 1, 2014, and June 30, 2015, 215 were eligible for maximum annual pensions of more than $75,000 a year. Nine were eligible for benefits of more than $100,000 a year.

• Five troopers qualified for pensions higher than their base salaries, according to records.

• Of the 270 retiring troopers, only 36 did not accrue overtime to increase their pensions.

Troopers say spiking is merited because the state requires officers to retire at 60, and the agency does not participate in Social Security. But with state officials struggling to hold the line on taxes and plug an $18.2 billion hole in the State Employees Retirement System, some question the wisdom of allowing the benefit to stand.

Nathan Benefield, vice president of policy analysis for the Commonwealth Foundation, suggested the state could lift the retirement cap and sweeten benefits to compensate for troopers not receiving Social Security.

“In general, you think of a pension being based on a lifetime of work, and this ability to spike it just seems unfair to taxpayers and to other employees who don’t have that kind of benefit,” Benefield said.

All Pennsylvania state employees receive traditional lifelong pensions. They are funded by a combination of investment earnings and employee and state contributions.

The average 2014 state retiree left with slightly more than 21 years of service and an average annual pension of $26,962.

Longtime troopers are part of the same pension system, but they are in a class by themselves. A 1988 collective bargaining agreement, upheld by the courts, established their retirement benefits at the 20- and 25-year levels.

Kenneth Ardon, chairman of the economics department at Salem State University in Massachusetts, who studies public pension systems, said including overtime in pension calculations can be an incentive for employees near retirement to pile up as much overtime as possible and lead managers to award overtime as “a bonus or retirement gift.”

“Depending on the details, each extra $1,000 in overtime could lead to an extra $20,000 or more of lifetime pension benefits. If two workers had similar work histories and were about to retire, but one of them was able to schedule a large amount of overtime in his/her last year, his (lifetime) pension could be hundreds of thousands of dollars higher. This doesn’t make any sense to me,” he said.

According to the National Association of State Legislatures, the practice of including overtime in pension calculations has been capped or banned in several states in recent years as lawmakers struggled to deal with huge pension liabilities. North Carolina, New York, Georgia, Rhode Island, Illinois, Nevada and Texas are among the states that have taken steps to rein in the practice.

But it is a benefit troopers guard.

Last spring, in testimony before the House Appropriations Committee, which was considering a pension overhaul bill, Joseph R. Kovel, president of the Pennsylvania State Troopers Association, told lawmakers that troopers merit such considerations because of the nature of their work. Kovel, who declined to discuss the issue with the Trib, warned lawmakers that a Senate bill aimed at overhauling the state pension system and barring the inclusion of overtime could trigger mass retirements.

“With over 1,000 of our members retirement-eligible, a large, mass exodus of our most experienced and senior troopers will have a long-term and immediately devastating impact on our ability to sustain even the most rudimentary public safety services,” Kovel said.

Gov. Tom Wolf vetoed the pension bill, but state troopers had been exempted from the proposed changes before the measure reached his desk.

Richard Dreyfuss, a retired actuary and senior fellow for the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research, said police officers have support for maintaining enhanced benefits on both sides of the political aisle.

“The Republicans, who are big supporters of law and order, and the Democrats, who support public employee unions, come together on this,” he said. “But the idea that all calculations are predicated on one year’s salary — I don’t think is an appropriate way to design a pension plan. Why would I want to PM the likes of you? I have nothing but disdain for you. The only thing this article did not cover s how the the overtime was accrued.
That is all factual information so what is your point? As far as the disdain the felling is mutual I have never talked to a person who i dislike so much.
338/378wm is offline  
post #153 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:53 PM
Sage
 
Woods walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 24,906
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by 338/378wm View Post
That is all factual information so what is your point? As far as the disdain the felling is mutual I have never talked to a person who i dislike so much.
I will double down on that! You are probably used to people kowtowing to your opinion because of your pushing of your previous employment, I am unimpressed, remember, you threw down the gauntlet a while back, I picked it up, if you aren't up to the challenge, don't make it! I would rather discuss and debate, however I will not back down from countering nonsense or untruths.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 06-06-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Woods walker is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #154 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:27 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 1,653
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I will double down on that! You are probably used to people kowtowing to your opinion because of your pushing of your previous employment, I am unimpressed, remember, you threw down the gauntlet a while back, I picked it up, if you aren't up to the challenge, don't make it! I would rather discuss and debate, however I will not back down from countering nonsense or untruths.
Same here Johnny. I never pushed anything Johnny. All you do is push Johnny. Pick this up Johnny because you do not matter or mean anything to me or anyone else. The one thing I am not impressed is you and never have been. Nothing there. You cant discuss or debate anything. All you can do is spout you biased opinion and chastise anybody who does not agree with you. Grow up and go away.
RyanR and Hunter58 like this.
338/378wm is offline  
post #155 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:59 PM
Sage
 
Woods walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 24,906
Back To Top
[QUOTE=338/378wm;3559625]Same here Johnny. I never pushed anything Johnny. All you do is push Johnny. Pick this up Johnny because you do not matter or mean anything to me or anyone else. The one thing I am not impressed is you and never have been. Nothing there. You cant discuss or debate anything. All you can do is spout you biased opinion and chastise anybody who does not agree with you. Grow up and go away.[/QUOT

I could respond to that load of nonsense, but it is so weak it isn't worth the effort. I am done with you, there is no point. I am pretty sure anyone who has read your back and forth knows what and who you are. Enjoy loving yourself, it will be a lonely life. I will not respond to your posts in the future unless you direct them at me, if you do, I will respond in kind.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Woods walker is online now  
post #156 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:52 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 1,653
Back To Top
[quote=Woods walker;3559633]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 338/378wm View Post
Same here Johnny. I never pushed anything Johnny. All you do is push Johnny. Pick this up Johnny because you do not matter or mean anything to me or anyone else. The one thing I am not impressed is you and never have been. Nothing there. You cant discuss or debate anything. All you can do is spout you biased opinion and chastise anybody who does not agree with you. Grow up and go away.[/QUOT

I could respond to that load of nonsense, but it is so weak it isn't worth the effort. I am done with you, there is no point. I am pretty sure anyone who has read your back and forth knows what and who you are. Enjoy loving yourself, it will be a lonely life. I will not respond to your posts in the future unless you direct them at me, if you do, I will respond in kind.
The feeling is mutual. Everything you say is a load of nonsense and very weak and not worth my effort. I am done with you Johnny as there is no point on anything you say. I am very sure anyone who reads your back and forth knows who you are. Enjoy thinking you are a leader and know everything because you live a lonely life and will always only have the keyboard. Good luck to you and what you stand for and have left. Good bye Johnny
338/378wm is offline  
post #157 of 157 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:28 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Elk County
Posts: 12,933
Back To Top
Ok this one is done. It is no longer on topic and has run its course.
jimbridger, bohunr, JasonN and 1 others like this.
R. S. B. is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome