Fairy tales of hunting - Page 22 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 342Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 345 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:32 AM
dce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Antler View Post
Lol...I won't ever expect anything but pgc apologetics from you. Whether you want to argue as to whether the Alt plan and hr was done right. (Which it wasnt) needed or was good for the the future of the deer herd and resources, one thing is for sure, there are more empty camps more, much less people in the camps. Hardly any drives. So much less shooting ( you can't even tell its rifle season). No to very few deer hanging at the camps.(ALL IN THE LAST 10 YEARS)
In spite of all the youth days and mentored program and all the more opportunities to be out there. WHY???

Because of the Alt plan and hr! Hunters young and old traveling to hunt and see nothing. Gangs driving all week from end of the valley top to bottom and seeing 3 deer all week or nothing all season. You and the other pgc apologists can make all the excuse and put your head in the sand about that all you want but thats a fact jack!

You or know one else can convince me or many others that plan did more to hurt hunters participation then anything else in pa.
I live and hunt on public land in the NC part of the state and couldn't disagree with you more.The deer herd was a little lean around 2005 but it was because of a couple very severe winters prior to that,more than anything else.Since then,the hunting has gotten way better than it's ever been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 345 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:37 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Lol...I won't ever expect anything but pgc apologetics from you. Whether you want to argue as to whether the Alt plan and hr was done right. (Which it wasnt) needed or was good for the the future of the deer herd and resources, one thing is for sure, there are more empty camps more, much less people in the camps. Hardly any drives. So much less shooting ( you can't even tell its rifle season). No to very few deer hanging at the camps.(ALL IN THE LAST 10 YEARS)
In spite of all the youth days and mentored program and all the more opportunities to be out there. WHY???

Because of the Alt plan and hr! Hunters young and old traveling to hunt and see nothing. Gangs driving all week from end of the valley top to bottom and seeing 3 deer all week or nothing all season. You and the other pgc apologists can make all the excuse and put your head in the sand about that all you want but thats a fact jack!

You or know one else can convince me or many others that plan did more to hurt hunters participation then anything else in pa.
Why is hunter participation dropping all over the country? It's not just PA. We're not recruiting the youth like we used to.
jimbridger likes this.
post #213 of 345 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
I live and hunt on public land in the NC part of the state and couldn't disagree with you more.The deer herd was a little lean around 2005 but it was because of a couple very severe winters prior to that,more than anything else.Since then,the hunting has gotten way better than it's ever been.
Well i don't disagree with you and your area. I don't know anything about it. And this is my problem with the Alt plan. Not every atea of the state needed hr or needed hr to the extreme that it was taken!. My area was always a hunting mecca lots people coming from all over to hunt here. Big local hunting community. Lots of pressure lots of deer taken every year. Probably more deer here in the 60' and 70's than the 90's. Hr really put a hurting on this area because of the amount of pressure it receives.
Im involved with 2 sportsmen's clubs here. I talk to lots of hunters. I grew up and lived here for 50 years. Know lots of the camp owners. I heard first hand why the older hunters gave up and the youger hunters don't want tanything to do with it.
Gotta say im glad I started when I did instead of 10 12 years ago. Also glad i have some private ground to hunt. I see plenty of grumbling on here about the lack of deer in my area and hear it from friends and others who hunt state in this area. Dont really care if you agree or not. You don't know anything about my area.

Last edited by Shed Antler; 06-06-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 345 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:05 AM
Frequent Contributor

The youth have "other interest." Like video games that are so realistic.....the youth (IMHO) get mesmerized into thinking if they actually shoot someone.....a few minutes later the victim will come back to life.

I know my conservative thinking will get me in trouble here.....but those darn games should be outlawed. I honestly believe they are a BIG part of the shootings that we see occurring today.

Now.....I don't want this to re-direct the intentions of the thread.

Carry on!!
post #215 of 345 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOL View Post
Why is hunter participation dropping all over the country? It's not just PA. We're not recruiting the youth like we used to.
What? there's more youth days then ever.
All other states lost a few hundred thousand hunters?

All Im saying is the state of the deer hunting in pa because of the Alt plan was a major contributor to hunters dropping out and younger ones not wanting to hunt.
post #216 of 345 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:25 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:

All Im saying is the state of the deer hunting in pa because of the Alt plan was a major contributor to hunters dropping out and younger ones not wanting to hunt.
That's another reason for less action on the opening of rifle. There are youth days, early seasons, late seasons, archery, muzzle loader, etc.... The hunters are spread out across the season. Lots of guys fill their tags at home in the suburbs before rifle.

Back in the 1970s and 1980s, rifle WAS deer season. Every deer hunter hunted opening day and most of them didn't hunt archery and other seasons like they do now.

Add that to the youth, and society in general, not being as excited by the outdoors, and you get what you have now.
post #217 of 345 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:26 AM
dce

Quote:
Well i don't disagree with you and your area. I don't know anything about it. And this is my problem with the Alt plan. Not every atea of the state needed hr or needed hr to the extreme that it was taken!. My area was always a hunting mecca lots people coming from all over to hunt here. Big local hunting community. Lots of pressure lots of deer taken every year. Probably more deer here in the 60' and 70's than the 90's. Hr really put a hurting on this area because of the amount of pressure it receives.
Im involved with 2 sportsmen's clubs here. I talk to lots of hunters. I grew up and lived here for 50 years. Know lots of the camp owners. I heard first hand why the older hunters gave up and the youger hunters don't want tanything to do with it.
Gotta say im glad I started when I did instead of 10 12 years ago. Also glad i have some private ground to hunt. I see plenty of grumbling on here about the lack of deer in my area and hear it from friends and others who hunt state in this area. Dont really care if you agree or not. You don't know anything about my area.
I live and hunt in 2H which has the lowest harvest rate of any WMU in the state and at least not too long ago,the lowest deer density.We had way too many deer for way too long and the habitat suffered greatly.Around the mid 90's we had two very bad back to back winters and the herd crashed like a concrete cloud.Since then,the habitat has rebounded and so has the deer herd if you know where to look.The PGC did exactly what needed to be done and it's made a huge difference.I have a 13 year old son who's been hunting since he was 7.We hunt strictly DMAP'd properties and I've never had to drag him out and he's never asked to leave early one time.Kids definately don't hunt like they used to but it's not because of a lack of game.
post #218 of 345 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:51 AM
The Man

Quote:

Most other state have lost MORE hunters speaking from a percentage point of view.

Are you saying that hunters all mover the country have stopped hunting because of the deer management plan in Pa?

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #219 of 345 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
So, if I read what you're saying, if HR & A/R were never imposed, the results would be the same for our current heard? Big rack bucks would be more plentiful now, because of the decrease of hunters?
No AR. would still have been beneficial for getting more bucks to the age of 2 because without HR. We wouldn't have lost over 50% of our Orange Army. But at this point AR. is no longer needed because of the decrease in our ranks and the amount of hunters that have their own self imposed AR. these days.

PETA hates me, but I'm okay with that......
post #220 of 345 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOL View Post

Very true and simply put. However the fairy tales as to why this is true are very misleading. The answer is just as easy but the solution is very complex if at all possible. Waugh!
dce likes this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page