Multiple Children Dilemma - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 106Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Multiple Children Dilemma

Not sure if this is the best place to start this thread but was wondering how some of you handle taking more than one child hunting and fishing ? I have four young ones and it has been on my mind a lot lately. Yesterday’s fishing excursion really hammered it home for me that I need to come up with a solid game plan.
The little guy in yellow fell in yesterday about 5 minutes after the picture was taken. I was taking a fish off the hook for my oldest boy when he stepped off the bank and went completely under. I jumped in after him and fell backwards almost getting completely submerged. I can laugh now but at the time it was horrifying considering he’s only 3 and can’t swim. Anyhow when it comes to hunting one would probably be able to go with my dad but I would have the other two or three. As long as they are being behaved I just don’t have the heart to make any of them stay home. I would be consumed by guilt. So how do you guys in a similar situation as I am handle this ? Do you have them take turns going ? Do you suck it up and bring them all with you ? Just looking for any suggestions that will help manage having such a handful when it comes to spending time hunting and fishing with a bunch of little ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BAA45CE0-CD8A-4CD6-B775-15DCC40919F9.jpeg (1.87 MB, 41 views)

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Last edited by steelhead125; 04-25-2019 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Add more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:00 AM

LOL now i dont have as many as you but i do have 2 boys. When it comes to fishing they both go, squirrel hunting they both go but when it comes to deer the boys take turns. That works for them and they are ok with how we do it. Rifle season i take both if they both want to go. Mine are 9 and 13 and keeping them together in a ground blind sometimes is disastrous lol. They start fighting and scare everything away. You just have to figure out a plan that will work out for the best scenario. You do have a tough one to figure out.

4B
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You'll really appreciate them later when they can cut grass and shovel snow. Is that Sloane school? You need a partner to give you a hand. It's great you can get them out.
bohunr, jk6140 and mad4268 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:43 AM

I have 5 grandsons and a grand daughter ranging from 6 to 2 and they all want to go fishing with me. Rule #1 is lifejackets, even off the dock. Just like your case, you fell trying to save the little guy and if you were hurt in the fall could have prevented you from assisting and made you in need of help also.
Three of the kids are great swimmers for their age but even just to go out on the dock to check crab traps before they open the door they better have a vest on.

The hunting should not be as bad since I would not take everyone out at once till they are experienced and and by my standards mature enough not to need my undivided attention
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:51 AM

I have two boys....9 and 11/12(he turns 12 in hunting season). Fishing they both go if they want to. It can be challenging to say the least, but if you want them to carry it on you have to take them. Be prepared for short trips and fighting and playing in the water and everything else under the sun that ISN'T fishing! Hunting, if it's just me I take one....which is usually early muzz/rifle doe. In rifle season my wife reluctantly hunts and takes one while I take the other. This year is going to be a little new for me though as the oldest boy will turn 12 and, as long as he can draw adequate weight and shoot accurately and consistently he'll be bowhunting with me. When they're 12 and 14/15 I'll likely take them both with me and momma won't hunt anymore. That is the plan we've come up with. She used to hunt, has killed a nice buck and lots of small game, but it's just not her thing. She's doing it for the kids and I'm fine with that.

Hunting wise, you simply can't take all of yours at once until they're 12....that's not permitted under the MY program. My cousin's boys(4 of them) had to take turns. He'd split them up between him and his FIL, but now he's got two MY (8 & 11yo), one 15yo Jr and one 17yo Jr(can hunt alone) hunters so that helps out as the youngest isn't hunting quite yet. The 11yo MY hunts with dad and the 15yo Jr hunts with grandpa, the 17yo does as he pleases whether that's at camp with us or at the farm with Grandpa.
jimbridger, bohunr and bigguy54 like this.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
You'll really appreciate them later when they can cut grass and shovel snow. Is that Sloane school? You need a partner to give you a hand. It's great you can get them out.
Yep . That’s Sloane. I am looking forward to when they’re old enough to drive deer and drag for me. Lol

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:01 AM

A little side note on the falling in/not swimming: get them in swim classes NOW. Not only is it a solid life skill it can open up some doors for their future too....life guard jobs over the summer when they're older, competitive swim teams over the winter, good exercise, socialization, etc. Both of my boys are fantastic swimmers, both took swim classes, both are on the local YMCA swim team, the oldest is even a state qualifier for multiple years. They both get to meet new people regularly, have formed great friendships outside of just classmates and generally became better human beings because of it. Just something to think about.

Life jackets are always a good option too and I don't discredit that at all, BUT, knowing how to swim AND a life jacket is better.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch812 View Post
I have 5 grandsons and a grand daughter ranging from 6 to 2 and they all want to go fishing with me. Rule #1 is lifejackets, even off the dock. Just like your case, you fell trying to save the little guy and if you were hurt in the fall could have prevented you from assisting and made you in need of help also.
Three of the kids are great swimmers for their age but even just to go out on the dock to check crab traps before they open the door they better have a vest on.

The hunting should not be as bad since I would not take everyone out at once till they are experienced and and by my standards mature enough not to need my undivided attention
My wife mentioned life jackets when we got home last night. Thatís a really good idea.
bohunr and loridr like this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonN View Post
A little side note on the falling in/not swimming: get them in swim classes NOW. Not only is it a solid life skill it can open up some doors for their future too....life guard jobs over the summer when they're older, competitive swim teams over the winter, good exercise, socialization, etc. Both of my boys are fantastic swimmers, both took swim classes, both are on the local YMCA swim team, the oldest is even a state qualifier for multiple years. They both get to meet new people regularly, have formed great friendships outside of just classmates and generally became better human beings because of it. Just something to think about.

Life jackets are always a good option too and I don't discredit that at all, BUT, knowing how to swim AND a life jacket is better.
We had swim classes at the YMCA over the winter. They got the basics down but they still need a lot of work. Especially the three year old.
JasonN likes this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
Yep . Thatís Sloane. I am looking forward to when theyíre old enough to drive deer and drag for me. Lol

It'll come! But first you get to go through the 'they' want to do XXXXX.....right up until YOU want them to phase. That's where I'm at right now. My oldest always wants to split wood when there's no wood to split, for instance. When there's piles of rounds to split up he's doing anything and everything BUT picking up a maul and getting to work!
bohunr and steelhead125 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in