PGC closing Glen Onoko Falls - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

PGC closing Glen Onoko Falls

https://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-...leq-story.html

https://triblive.com/lifestyles/trav...-hiking-trail/

I hiked this about 15 years ago when I was in college and I don't see how you kill yourself unless you're being a complete idiot. I saw that they were closing it on a hiking FB page that I follow. I'm an avid hiker but I'm a hunter first and if the PGC closes it because its on an SGL I get it. Around here we don't have to deal with hordes of hikers because the SGL's are either fairly boring/intimidating to day hikers. I couldn't imagine having to deal with tons of people like that. The hiking crowd are freaking out though. Its funny to see how they say their tax dollars pay for it they should be able to do what they want on the SGL. You can't contradict them on the hiking page though otherwise their heads explode and they become very uncivil haha.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninghxcsoul View Post

I hiked this about 15 years ago when I was in college and I don't see how you kill yourself unless you're being a complete idiot. I saw that they were closing it on a hiking FB page that I follow. I'm an avid hiker but I'm a hunter first and if the PGC closes it because its on an SGL I get it. Around here we don't have to deal with hordes of hikers because the SGL's are either fairly boring/intimidating to day hikers. I couldn't imagine having to deal with tons of people like that. The hiking crowd are freaking out though. Its funny to see how they say their tax dollars pay for it they should be able to do what they want on the SGL. You can't contradict them on the hiking page though otherwise their heads explode and they become very uncivil haha.
And that is why if you don't have a hunting license, you shouldn't be allowed on state game lands.
jimbridger, bohunr, JoeG52 and 3 others like this.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” C.S. Lewis
NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
WCO David Grove, LODD 11/11/10
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:07 AM
Frequent Contributor

It's like getting to your secret spot on a games land and finding propagation signs blocking your path. Let 'em eat cake. No more free rides.
jimbridger and bohunr like this.

Don't shoot brown ducks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by browtine64 View Post
And that is why if you don't have a hunting license, you shouldn't be allowed on state game lands.
I have to disagree. If they have to buy a license, they will have skin in the game and therefore have a firmer position to have a say in game lands rules, better to have them as guests than paying customers.
bohunr, TENPT, Dogface and 14 others like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:25 AM

The "hiking crowd" is blowing up the PGC's F/B page as well..... and you are right they think it is a "park" paid for by the "public".

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:42 AM

The concept of charging leaf peepers, dog walkers and hikers to use SGL's has come up before. I agree it is a very dangerous idea to have non-hunters supporting lands paid for by hunters. Next thing you know blocks of time will be closed for weekend warriors to bird watch, hold bog walks and alike.
I hunt in a area that is mixed use and it gets frustrating when you are out hunting turkey or deer and here comes someone with not 1 sq. in. of orange, walking dogs off the leash that either run up to you or stand barking their fool heads off.
Not much you can do since it is public land.
jimsdad likes this.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninghxcsoul View Post

Ot's not being closed just because it's on an SGL. It's being closed specifically for safety reasons. And according to the the Northeast Region's LMS it's not really the deaths that sparked it but rather the high amount of injuries and the extreme difficulty for first responders to reach injured hikers. It can take as many as 25-30 first responders to answer a rescue call on the trail. And in recent years the trail has suffered a large amount of erosion which has made it more treacherous. He also indicated the closure is likely not permanent if the trail can be improved and DCNR has already allocated funds for trail upgrades here.

The trail is unique in that it begins in a state park and overlooks the state park but much of it cuts through the edge of the SGL that directly borders the State Park. Where the trail is on SGL I don't think there's alot of hunting going on in this very steep area so it's not like hunters are being disturbed. Also, the alternative is the trail that begins on SGL of off 93 and traverses an area that is much more likely to be used by hunters. So hunters shouldn't be to quick to celebrate the closing as a great plus for hunters.
jimsdad likes this.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Also, the alternative is the trail that begins on SGL of off 93 and traverses an area that is much more likely to be used by hunters. So hunters shouldn't be to quick to celebrate the closing as a great plus for hunters.

Yes, I've hiked in both ways. The Rt 93 trail is of course much easier, but longer, about 2 1/2 miles I think, to a fairly well hidden path down to the falls. It's probably not as exciting to the daredevils who seek to hop rocks. I'm just curious as to how the PGC will close it. Just posting signs isn't gonna stop anybody from climbing, and we all know that GW's are not gonna disrupt their day to shoo away hikers in sneakers. I live about a 1/2 mile from the parking lot and we always know when someone took a tumble by hearing the sirens or seeing the Med Evac helicopter.
jimsdad, RyanR and Vonfoust like this.

The spirit of our day is a soft acceptance of everything—except deep conviction in anything.
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes, from a report I read it will be clearly posted as closed and people will be subject to a $200 fine for violating the trail closure. I don't think you'll see the PGC actively patrol it but if violations occur and they see them well... Or if somebody is injured they will be subject to the fine too.
jimbridger and jimsdad like this.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

It seems odd to say "This is a state park but you are not allowed here." If I'm 10 ft off the trail I guess I can't be fined?? I'm just scouting for hunting season.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page