Commissioner Stepping Down? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 173Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Commissioner Stepping Down?

I saw it posted as a comment on the PFSC group on Facebook, but is it true that one of the commissioner's is stepping down because of the decision to move the opener to Saturday for rifle deer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater86 View Post
I saw it posted as a comment on the PFSC group on Facebook, but is it true that one of the commissioner's is stepping down because of the decision to move the opener to Saturday for rifle deer?
I think only Daley voted against it in the end. Who would be stepping down?
post #3 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:40 PM
Part of the Community

Daley, President Layton, and metrick voted against it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
I think only Daley voted against it in the end. Who would be stepping down?
Not sure, they didn't give a name, but 3 of them voted against it.
post #5 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:56 PM

Maybe I’m wrong I thought those 3 votes for the amendment to keep it Monday but after that failed only Daley votes against the proposed changes.
post #6 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:57 PM

3 voted against it. And if I was on the board, and was one of the 3, I would have stepped down also. Tip o' the hat to the dude stepping down. I couldn't serve with 5 others if they honestly thought this was a move that could either get more people rifle hunting, or increase license sales, when it puts so many folks out, considering the day is now smack up against Thanksgiving.

I'll say it again, we harvest WELL OVER 300,000 deer. Completely meeting biological harvest goals. And to boot, USFWS has PA selling over 950,000 licenses. That my friends, is 2nd most in the nation, behind only Texas. So I ask, where was the big need for this change ? Rhetorical question. There wasn't one.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

I certainly wouldn't quit just because one vote didn't go my way. The adult version of "I'm taking my ball and going home."

Edit: They all voted for it in January, indicating that not one of them had a strong enough dislike at that point to vote no. I realize that sometimes things get voted along to create discussion, but if there was a strong enough feeling against it to quit over it should have been voted 'no' in January.
JasonN, Danesdad, cspot and 6 others like this.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”

Last edited by Vonfoust; 04-16-2019 at 03:10 PM.
post #8 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonfoust View Post
I certainly wouldn't quit just because one vote didn't go my way. The adult version of "I'm taking my ball and going home."

Happens all the time. Especially with politics involved, be it school boards, council, club directors, or any other entity. A group will get together, and for a Cabal of sorts. That happens and any members outside of that group, will just go on in further frustration. Why move forward being frustrated at every turn, because a group has been formed that will out-vote you on every single issue ?

2A-Wash. Co.
post #9 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:15 PM

This is from the PGC site.

Commissioner James Daley, who represents the Game Commission’s District 1, made an amendment to retain the opening day as the Monday after Thanksgiving, Dec. 2. And Commissioners Tim Layton, District 4, and Michael Mitrick, District 6, voted with Daley in support of the Monday opener.

The rest of the board voted for the Saturday opener, with the 5-3 tally carrying the vote. And the final list of 2019-20 seasons and bag limits that included a Saturday opener was approved by 7-1 margin, with Daley voting against

So while Layton and Mitrick votes for the amendment to keep Monday, they also voted for the for the whole package including the Saturday opener. Could be that they felt the other changes were more important.

The whole board voted for it initially, but it was pointed out that is done at times to allow for more research or comments.
post #10 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo View Post
Happens all the time. Especially with politics involved, be it school boards, council, club directors, or any other entity. A group will get together, and for a Cabal of sorts. That happens and any members outside of that group, will just go on in further frustration. Why move forward being frustrated at every turn, because a group has been formed that will out-vote you on every single issue ?

Not directed at you either, but the general "throw my hands up and quit" mentality.

Or, vote your conscience and let the chips fall. There's value in the journey. Should be a lesson learned by being a part of any team, there are many lessons learned beyond "eh he's not going to the NBA anyway". It's why some of us see value in letting our children prioritize being on teams when young and still wanting to introduce them to hunting.
Nosaturdayopener likes this.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page