Commissioner Stepping Down? - Page 6 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 173Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonfoust View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
why would they not buy a license before this?

Both did, until college. Neither has a car at school. Logistically not working for a few Saturdays a year without Sunday's. Already home on this Saturday.
this conversation has been has many times. There are 52 Saturday’s each year. Something can be hunted 365 days a year. We constantly hear how small game and turkey are the best recruiting seasons. Yet we are hanging our hat on one extra day of buck hunting to be the savior of the sport? The coming drop off is undeniable. Around 2035 we will loose many from the baby boom era. There is nothing we can do to retain them. There simply aren’t enough children to recruit to replace all of them. When the drop happens it will happen in every state. While it is great that these college kids get to hunt more easily while they are in college, it does little to change wether or not they will hunt after graduation. The stats say you are less likely to return if you miss a year, time is the most used excuse for not hunting. One day is very little more time. Recruitment is the only thing that can “save” hunting. This change went against the current “core” group of hunters. These are the people who are responsible for the build of current recruitments. If they aren’t recruiting now there will be no one to be hunting in 2035.
jimbridger and bohunr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

When you see a problem ahead, do you take steps to avoid it or minimize the blow?
Everyone knows that there's going to be a precipitous dropoff when the boomers are gone...
So seeing that impending crash ahead, do we try to apply some brakes or just go slack and brace for impact?
bohunr likes this.
post #53 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
When you see a problem ahead, do you take steps to avoid it or minimize the blow?
Everyone knows that there's going to be a precipitous dropoff when the boomers are gone...
So seeing that impending crash ahead, do we try to apply some brakes or just go slack and brace for impact?
agreed. How does this do that? How does angering you best recruiters help?how does this make new hunters?

If this is “we have to try something” Maybe we should pick something that doesn’t go against the majority and actually wouldn’t be a negative for hundreds of thousands of hunters.
jimbridger and Woods walker like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:38 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
this conversation has been has many times. There are 52 Saturday’s each year. Something can be hunted 365 days a year. We constantly hear how small game and turkey are the best recruiting seasons. Yet we are hanging our hat on one extra day of buck hunting to be the savior of the sport? The coming drop off is undeniable. Around 2035 we will loose many from the baby boom era. There is nothing we can do to retain them. There simply aren’t enough children to recruit to replace all of them. When the drop happens it will happen in every state. While it is great that these college kids get to hunt more easily while they are in college, it does little to change wether or not they will hunt after graduation. The stats say you are less likely to return if you miss a year, time is the most used excuse for not hunting. One day is very little more time. Recruitment is the only thing that can “save” hunting. This change went against the current “core” group of hunters. These are the people who are responsible for the build of current recruitments. If they aren’t recruiting now there will be no one to be hunting in 2035.

One day that is the most exciting day is better than 20 days of nothing, especially for kids and the casual hunter. That is the reason small game is given as a great recruiting tool. There is 'something going on' in small game hunting more often than not.

Most license buyers are a few days a year. At most.

Until it happens its all speculation no matter how much you type. You are also assuming this current 'core' group of hunters will quit recruiting because of this one thing? If we quit mentoring new hunters because of this change, shame on us.
Wingatchtochwilsit likes this.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”

Last edited by Vonfoust; 04-17-2019 at 11:43 AM.
post #55 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:03 PM

the problem is PA has close to one million hunters. when the PGC wants input they hear from "The Majority".
approximately 1,500 to 3,000 people respond. if something gets changed to the benefit of those that respond and ticks off the other 995,000 hunters, its their fault for not speaking out and they deserve what they get if they didnt voice their opinion on the subject.

to those that spoke up...KUDOS to you for not sitting back and remaining silent.
Vonfoust likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #56 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post

To be expected.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #57 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:55 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ4D View Post
I laughed out loud at this.
Me too.
post #58 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
agreed. How does this do that?
It adds a weekend day to the rifle season and increases opportunity by 50% for those who can only hunt weekends.

Quote:
How does angering you best recruiters help?
So the 25% that hunt from a camp, or 1300-2000 that respond to a survey are now deemed "best recruiters"?
I would argue that those who are excited for the additional opportunity, or retain a positive attitude about Hunting in PA are the best ambassadors and recruiters...

Quote:
how does this make new hunters?
Added opportunity to hunt provides added opportunity to recruit, however, the key word is "opportunity"... If we don't actively take advantage of the opportunity, gains would be minimal.

Quote:
If this is “we have to try something” Maybe we should pick something that doesn’t go against the majority and actually wouldn’t be a negative for hundreds of thousands of hunters.
I highly doubt the BOC spun a wheel or threw a dart at a board and landed on this option... but, it seems that whenever a proposed change doesn't sit right with some, it's "Change for Changes sake."

What has been completely absent throughout all the whinging on the subject is a proposed alternative. All opposition to the recent proposed changes has been without alternative... so it's a fair analogy to say they not only seem content to just "brace for impact" but are also actively slapping hands and feet away from the brakes.
post #59 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:

So the 25% that hunt from a camp, or 1300-2000 that respond to a survey are now deemed "best recruiters"?
I would argue that those who are excited for the additional opportunity, or retain a positive attitude about Hunting in PA are the best ambassadors and recruiters...

Well said. I know I prefer to hunt with guys who are enthusiastic and don't gripe about every little thing. I've always tried to be upbeat and positive when I have my son out hunting. Between lapses of deer sightings or squirrel sightings I try to point something cool out or keep giving him encouragement like "I'm real proud of how you've been able to stick it out", and my favorite I stole from a good friend's father (You old heads on here will recognize this one) "It only takes a second to change your season" The way I see it every day I get to spend hunting with my son is a blessing. I'm not going to let changes in season schedules ruin that for us.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #60 of 186 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
agreed. How does this do that?
It adds a weekend day to the rifle season and increases opportunity by 50% for those who can only hunt weekends.

Quote:
How does angering you best recruiters help?

Quote:
how does this make new hunters?
Added opportunity to hunt provides added opportunity to recruit, however, the key word is "opportunity"... If we don't actively take advantage of the opportunity, gains would be minimal.

Quote:
I highly doubt the BOC spun a wheel or threw a dart at a board and landed on this option... but, it seems that whenever a proposed change doesn't sit right with some, it's "Change for Changes sake."

What has been completely absent throughout all the whinging on the subject is a proposed alternative. All opposition to the recent proposed changes has been without alternative... so it's a fair analogy to say they not only seem content to just "brace for impact" but are also actively slapping hands and feet away from the brakes.
1. Minimal addition of opportunity. And one that don’t want or need.
2. Those with strong traditions, many of which include more than the time actually hunting will be the best recruiting group.
3. That has always been true and has little to do with this.
4. Many alternatives have been offered. Most ad far more opportunities. Concurrent seasons, October buck, Sunday’s.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page