Forestry logging off thousands of acres - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Forestry logging off thousands of acres

I know that the forestry department is to log so much off of certain areas for timber and to keep up with the habitat changes but why are they clear cutting thousands of acres all spring,summer and fall every year in the same general area ? It really makes no sense other than them logging it just for the money ! They have actually devastated the complete area as the only trees left in the areas are small pines,dead oaks and severly crooked trees ! I know that over the years it will provide allot of browse but all of the acorns and food that they took out of there for winter food will never be replaced ! They the rest of the areas that have been clear cut several years ago are all fenced in and have been for about 4 yrs now and whats inside the fence looks no different than whats outside the fence so why are they doing it ? I could see if they fenced it in right after they clear cut it so all the natural vegetation can come back but they don't they wait 5 - 8 yrs before they fence it !
It just looks sick when you take a mountain ride and all you see is logged off areas that look like barren ground !!
bohunr and Waynzee like this.

Blend in or go hungry !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 07:19 PM

I know what you mean. Near our camp everything is logged off and still cutting. The one big area they clear cut over 5 years ago still has nothing growing in it. Its just bare ground with a few oak trees still standing and yet its fenced off but nothing growing. They are making a killing in that area as its almost all Cherry trees with some oak and maple mixed in but mostly cherry. When they log do they spray anything on the ground to kill weeds while they are cutting. Down home here there is an SGL that was logged off close to 2 years ago and most of the weeds looked dead even in late spring last year.
bohunr likes this.

4B

Last edited by pchunter1231; 04-15-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:44 PM
Sage

They spray the ground to prevent the ferns from growing . When the ferns take hold that put out a chemical that prevents trees or anything else from growing. I don't know the area but perhaps there s a problem or disease in the trees and they are salvaging it before it is worthless.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
They spray the ground to prevent the ferns from growing . When the ferns take hold that put out a chemical that prevents trees or anything else from growing. I don't know the area but perhaps there s a problem or disease in the trees and they are salvaging it before it is worthless.
Thanks. Now that you mentioned it i did not see any ferns and all the poke weed was dead last year while i was hiking the SGL near me.

4B
Old 04-15-2019, 08:15 PM
Part of the Community

In our area almost all of the ash trees are dead. They can still get money for them,by logging.
Danesdad likes this.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

I had great hunting for about 7 years after they logged this one spot. Once everything grew back up they arenít in there as much now.

After the cut it was hard to hang a stand where you wanted, now you got lots of options again
bohunr likes this.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:49 PM

I don't know the specific area that you're talking about, but I would like to trust that they know what they're doing. We certainly have a need for early succession forest in this state.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:36 PM

The chain saw is your friend. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:52 AM
Frequent Contributor

Back in the 80's where we hunted, they timbered the side of the mountain. The following year's was the best hunting. In the 90's they timbered the other farm we still hunt on. Best hunting I ever had after a logging, but on both farms they left alot of hickory trees stand. I hated it to place a stand on a hickory tree. Stands don't really bite into the bark, I mostly bow hunting & rifle season on the ground. Good luck to you next several years, that will be some good hunting years to follow.
jimbridger and bohunr like this.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLAB View Post
I know that the forestry department is to log so much off of certain areas for timber and to keep up with the habitat changes but why are they clear cutting thousands of acres all spring,summer and fall every year in the same general area ? It really makes no sense other than them logging it just for the money ! They have actually devastated the complete area as the only trees left in the areas are small pines,dead oaks and severly crooked trees ! I know that over the years it will provide allot of browse but all of the acorns and food that they took out of there for winter food will never be replaced ! They the rest of the areas that have been clear cut several years ago are all fenced in and have been for about 4 yrs now and whats inside the fence looks no different than whats outside the fence so why are they doing it ? I could see if they fenced it in right after they clear cut it so all the natural vegetation can come back but they don't they wait 5 - 8 yrs before they fence it !
It just looks sick when you take a mountain ride and all you see is logged off areas that look like barren ground !!
State and National Forests are supposed to be working forests, meaning they can and do get logged for profit. Umm, oaks are produced from acorns so unless they swept up all the acorns too then yes they will be replaced... eventually. Try talking to the local forester in charge, you might learn some actual specifics instead of just blasting something that you only see but don't know the what and the why. For example, I've helped on a project where we are intentionally killing trees due to a blight that the foresters are trying to contain and eradicate. So all the trees of a species are being treated with a hack and squirt approach. But if somebody that doesn't know the project sees it they're likely to just see trees, many that look quite healthy, being killed. And then they do a social media blast without knowing any specifics.

It takes time for an area to come back, even the low browse doesn't return for several years and not all areas can be fenced or is it even desirable to fence them. Also some project areas are multi-year too so restoration efforts may be delayed by several years. Some areas may have other invasives or disease that they need to kill everything over several years before restoration is begun.

And if you "don't like logging, try wiping with plastic!" (Great bumper sticker I once saw up in Maine.)

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.

Last edited by RyanR; 04-16-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in