Forestry logging off thousands of acres - Page 4 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsie View Post
RedLab - I'm not sure if we are talking about the same area, but if it is a mountain top between 2 counties - I understand you. They cut, killed, everything. Huge areas essentially bulldozed.

I do agree someday it will be better, but it will take a few years.
This is in Sproul state forest out on Eagleton mt road in clinton county just outside of Lock Haven, Renovo Areas
it is a barren wasteland ! I just took another ride and all the bedding areas are gone and even the feeding areas are gone ! I topped the hill and as far as the eye can see it is just brown dirt with a tree here and there and roads all over that i'm sure will be road hunted unless its gated off ! I'll try and get some pics and post when I get back out there !

Ryan there is allot of difference between a place that has been timbered off and one that has been clearcut ! There are several other areas that I have hunted 40 yrs ago that have been clearcut and some of them are so thick you can't hunt them or there are no trees big enough to hang a stand in ! Others nothing much has grown in them except for the pines that the forestry department has planted !
fall gobbler likes this.

Blend in or go hungry !!

Last edited by REDLAB; 04-17-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOL View Post
That's a good thing. Seems like every clearing where I hunt is choked with those worthless ferns. Does anything even eat them?
Deer

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #33 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOL View Post
Nicely put. I'll never look at them the same way.

The worst thing about ferns is walking in them in the summer. They hide every rock, log or hole. Makes walking a real hazard.

You left out rattlesnakes. Waugh!
steelhead125 and GSP66 like this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.

Last edited by jimbridger; 04-17-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLAB View Post
This is in Sproul state forest out on Eagleton mt road in clinton county just outside of Lock Haven, Renovo Areas
it is a barren wasteland ! I just took another ride and all the bedding areas are gone and even the feeding areas are gone ! I topped the hill and as far as the eye can see it is just brown dirt with a tree here and there and roads all over that i'm sure will be road hunted unless its gated off ! I'll try and get some pics and post when I get back out there !

Ryan there is allot of difference between a place that has been timbered off and one that has been clearcut ! There are several other areas that I have hunted 40 yrs ago that have been clearcut and some of them are so thick you can't hunt them or there are no trees big enough to hang a stand in ! Others nothing much has grown in them except for the pines that the forestry department has planted !

I remember a few years back, the foresters of the PGC and the DCNR had a program on PCN where they talked about their goal of a "patchwork quilt" of different age forest and habitat they aimed to create. They said huge areas of mature forest or pole timber or clear cutting was not good.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #35 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall gobbler View Post
I remember a few years back, the foresters of the PGC and the DCNR had a program on PCN where they talked about their goal of a "patchwork quilt" of different age forest and habitat they aimed to create. They said huge areas of mature forest or pole timber or clear cutting was not good.
That was back when the ones doing things still had common sense and managed the woods for the animals and not for what some collage kid was telling them to do.
post #36 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
Deer
If deer ate ferns they wouldn't be such a problem, deer do not like ferns.
bearhollow likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #37 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have also seen deer eat ferns !!
Not as a main diet but they do eat them !

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #38 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:57 AM
Sage

Deer will eat just about anything, when they are hungry and there is little else around for them to eat.

Where I hunt and during periods of high deer numbers, they've often browsed off non-preferred species, like birch and beech, during winters.

That is typically after they've already eaten what they could reach along browse lines (edge areas); under story browse; residual crops and other food sources that they can find. I have never seen a deer eating ferns and spend lots of time watching them with the aid of 10x50 binos and spotting scopes. Maybe they do, but I've never seen it?

I have watched them eat multi flora rose buds on several occasions over the years, usually during rifle deer seasons. Once I've killed a deer, then it's cruise around and observe time.

How they can nip them off without shredding their noses on the thorns, still amazes me. Watching them do that while I'm using a 45X spotting scope, it's not hard to see what it is they're after.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #39 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

What eats ferns? Actually some humans, if you pick fiddle ferns just after they emerge, it's a good green. But if you wait too long, usually sometime in May, they become toxic and will make you very sick. Same thing with poke weed.
jimbridger likes this.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #40 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:38 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coureur De Bois View Post
What eats ferns? Actually some humans, if you pick fiddle ferns just after they emerge, it's a good green. But if you wait too long, usually sometime in May, they become toxic and will make you very sick. Same thing with poke weed.

There are several species that are edible in the fiddlehead stage but those that typically grow in Pa clearcuts are not among them. The most commonly eaten by humans is Matteuccia struthiopteris which is found in swampy areas near streams and they do occur in Pa. Picking and cooking "Fiddleheads" in early spring is popular in northeast US and eastern Canada. On my spring bear hunts, my guide is constantly on the lookout for patches and if we see them we stop and pick them for his wife to cook. Bears also love them, to the extent that if there are a lot around, it can bugger up your bait hunt as the bears will be on the fern beds and not the bait sites, similarly to blueberries buggering up a fall hunt.
jimbridger likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page