Forestry logging off thousands of acres - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:16 AM

I am a big fan of cutting and and even bigger fan of burning. But to some degree I understand where you are coming from. It certainly stinks to have an area you know blown up, I've had that happen the past two years with another marked for this year. You just have to accept that as part of public land hunting and move onto plan B, C, Z, what have you. You really can't get married to areas, have to stay adaptable.

ESH is tremendous for wildlife and hunting, but it is far from equal. There are certainly bad cuts and good cuts. I'm sure there are great, mediocre, and bad foresters just like in any other profession from fry cooks to game wardens to surgeons. Regeneration varies significantly from area to area. I applaud cutting but I agree there are some that you just shake your head from time to time. A lot of the areas that currently struggle to regen are still struggling to overcome the past mismanagement I think. At least they are doing something, those mature forests are the most useless thing there is unless you are an ignorant tree hugger.

On gamelands and SF what fries me a little is when they do massive homogenous overstory removals. From a hunting standpoint it is far better when they leave something behind and create edge habitat by leaving basically islands of mature trees. I guess that reduces the economy of logging, but on public lands that should be acceptable to create more sustainable habitat.

I understand the need for the fences in certain places too, but I feel they leave them up a few years past when they are needed. Most of the time by the time they take the fences down the cut is past the stage where it is useful for hunting and is a barren desert for the next 20 years as the high stem count saplings just shade out everything, and the cycle of second growth crap forest begins anew.
JasonN likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send those loggers my way!

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #13 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:31 PM
The Man

Next month, somebody will start a thread complaining that the PGC isn't cutting as much timber as they should....

Seriously, I know it sucks when it's the area you want, or are used to hunting. I've had it happen already. The good news is that it grows up thick as heck, and the deer, (and other animals) love it. These areas are also hard to hunt, but that just makes them better. Im expecting it again soon. I was hunting an area I've hunted since I started hunting over 40yrs ago in flintlock season, and noticed all the markings on the trees. I don't know when, but I know its gonna happen. I also know that in 5 years or so it's gonna be an awesome new puzzle to figure out how to hunt it.
loridr likes this.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:21 PM

The place I hunted for 40 year got destroyed two years ago. They took every tree bigger around than my wrist, except a few scrub hemlocks at the creek bottom. Then, insult to injury, they ran over the tops and brush piles with some machine that just crushed everything flat. When they were done, a healthy, mixed aged stand looked like the surface of the moon. I wasn't able to even recognize where my stand of many years (and many deer) had been. It was very sad
, but it wasn't my ground so I had no say. I guess I should go back and look this year to see what is becoming of the place.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #15 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackmaster4 View Post
Next month, somebody will start a thread complaining that the PGC isn't cutting as much timber as they should.... .

Which brings up the topic of what ever happened to Grundsow? Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #16 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:12 PM

Like I said before, I generally trust that the professionals know what they're doing. I'm no expert, but I do sometimes wonder how much of the decisions are made for soley monetary reasons and how much consideration is habitat and wildlife given.
post #17 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:29 PM

State and National Forests are supposed to be working forests, meaning they can and do get logged for profit. Umm, oaks are produced from acorns so unless they swept up all the acorns too then yes they will be replaced... eventually. Try talking to the local forester in charge, you might learn some actual specifics instead of just blasting something that you only see but don't know the what and the why.

I am ALL for timbering but not clear cutting.For your information oaks do not produce acorns every year.If you clear cut a oak stand their is a very good chance no oaks are coming back.
post #18 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestman3 View Post
State and National Forests are supposed to be working forests, meaning they can and do get logged for profit. Umm, oaks are produced from acorns so unless they swept up all the acorns too then yes they will be replaced... eventually. Try talking to the local forester in charge, you might learn some actual specifics instead of just blasting something that you only see but don't know the what and the why.

I am ALL for timbering but not clear cutting.For your information oaks do not produce acorns every year.If you clear cut a oak stand their is a very good chance no oaks are coming back.

Most oaks will come from stump sprouts. Deer will trim the sprouts to the proper numbers if the deer are not over abundant. Almost all double and triple oak trees you see came from stump shoots and not acorns.
On a second note the ground holds seeds for future forest just waiting for a opening. We call this the seed bank.

Then there are the birds and critters that drop and stash acorns and other seeds. Like you stated they did not pick up all the seeds and they often leave "Wolf" trees. Waugh!
bigguy54 likes this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.

Last edited by jimbridger; 04-17-2019 at 07:48 AM.
post #19 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:56 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
They spray the ground to prevent the ferns from growing . When the ferns take hold that put out a chemical that prevents trees or anything else from growing. I don't know the area but perhaps there s a problem or disease in the trees and they are salvaging it before it is worthless.

That's a good thing. Seems like every clearing where I hunt is choked with those worthless ferns. Does anything even eat them?
post #20 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:55 AM
Sage

There may be something that eats them, but I don't know what they are. They are pretty much worthless, when they get established they kill and prevent the growth of everything else and create essentially a biological desert.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page