Saturday Openor: Will we get over it? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Saturday Openor: Will we get over it?

I have been doing some thinking on this issue for some time. Yes, I was against it moving it! Yes, I like tradition that Pa. has offered for many years. I do feel hunting is a tradition and when you loose some of the tradition what do you have. I have a Pa. camp and from where I live here in Md. its a 55 minute drive. I to have thought what will I do on Sat. night drive home or sit around cabin all day on Sunday waiting for Monday. I was talking to my good friend that is a retired WCO from Pa. and he told me he could care less either way but keep in mind Pa. hunters do not like change. Remembering back as he told me and I remember as well when AR went in to effect. Everyone was against Alts ( not sure of spelling ) and later he had to wear a bullet proof vest by choice. Pa. hunters did not like this change but now later most do. A couple of years a go the " X " bow ordeal and now everyone pretty well has one. In reality we might not like change but we have no choice at times. I hardly think everyone is going to boycott the PGC and not buy this years license out of protest. Im now here to say I had my opinion disagreed with the change, and now time to move on. Instead of taking grocery's to camp on Sat. I will be hunting and enjoying a new era.
bigguy54, Danesdad, old06 and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pack the bags and go hunting. I know you have to change the days but get the family out and have some fun.
bigguy54, Danesdad, old06 and 2 others like this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I would sooner do that then sit and watch a football game.
bohunr, Danesdad and old06 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

One big sell on all of these changes is to recruit or maintain young hunters. Seems to me that young people have been going to school, playing sports, etc... as long as there have been hunting seasons. They found the time to hunt keep their interest in hunting over the decades. We all did..! Is it deeper than just finding more available time to hunt, like a Saturday opener or the potential Sunday hunting..? The mighty $$? Seems to me that virtually every school has off Monday anyhow... Whatever the changes, we have to live with and keep on hunting, good or bad... time will tell. My fear is a vast majority of game is taken on weekends. Now there are more weekend days which means more guys out harvesting things. More tags on top of more guys out = over harvesting..?
Dukehunter3 likes this.

Work is for people who don't hunt!!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:46 PM

some of those kids in school that hunt also play sports. when my son was in school they had practice on Saturdays and the coach had more practice on the opening Monday, he wasnt a hunter and i think he did it on purpose. also told the kids if they skipped Mondays practice they would be sitting on the bench at the next game.

My son always skipped Mondays practice as he was out hunting deer. it didnt matter he knew he wasnt going to the NBA that coach was an idiot too.
willyp, bigguy54, old06 and 4 others like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
some of those kids in school that hunt also play sports. when my son was in school they had practice on Saturdays and the coach had more practice on the opening Monday, he wasnt a hunter and i think he did it on purpose. also told the kids if they skipped Mondays practice they would be sitting on the bench at the next game.

My son always skipped Mondays practice as he was out hunting deer. it didnt matter he knew he wasnt going to the NBA that coach was an idiot too.

The high school I went to had a coach like that too, very hard core. The previous year in 1971 our basket ball team had a record of like 18-4 and went to the state championship. Md. season opener of course was on a Saturday and he told all of them that anyone skipping practice would be cut. He followed thru and later regretted. That year we had one senior and the rest was sophomore's on our varsity team that year. That season there record was 6-15, I think he regretted that but would never admitted to it.
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post

The high school I went to had a coach like that too, very hard core. The previous year in 1971 our basket ball team had a record of like 18-4 and went to the state championship. Md. season opener of course was on a Saturday and he told all of them that anyone skipping practice would be cut. He followed thru and later regretted. That year we had one senior and the rest was sophomore's on our varsity team that year. That season there record was 6-15, I think he regretted that but would never admitted to it.
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:44 AM

For all of the years (35+) that I have been hunting I had to adjust my hunting schedule around work. Over the last 21 years that hunting schedule has gotten even tighter because of 3 children and the added family responsibilities, all of my children were/are involved with multiple sports and school activities. My hunting buddies and I still struggle to to get all of our schedules aligned. Sometimes I was/am able to hunt on the days I wanted, sometimes I was/am not. I survived!

So I really dont have a lot of sympathy for people who are complaining.

Good luck, Tony
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:51 AM

It's like any other changes they make. Some gripe, some applaud, then we all get over it and go hunting anyway.
Buckethead, JasonN and Shed Antler like this.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:57 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300wby View Post
For all of the years (35+) that I have been hunting I had to adjust my hunting schedule around work. Over the last 21 years that hunting schedule has gotten even tighter because of 3 children and the added family responsibilities, all of my children were/are involved with multiple sports and school activities. My hunting buddies and I still struggle to to get all of our schedules aligned. Sometimes I was/am able to hunt on the days I wanted, sometimes I was/am not. I survived!

So I really dont have a lot of sympathy for people who are complaining.

Good luck, Tony
And the guys that like the Monday opener donít have these issues?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page