Saturday Openor: Will we get over it? - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:05 AM

Already over it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent20 View Post
And the guys that like the Monday opener donít have these issues?
EVERYONE has issues.

The point is STOP complaining about the change and understand that everyone has work and family obligations. The PGC will never be able to accommodate everyone's personal agenda.

Good luck, Tony
outofstater and RacksnQuacks like this.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300wby View Post
For all of the years (35+) that I have been hunting I had to adjust my hunting schedule around work. Over the last 21 years that hunting schedule has gotten even tighter because of 3 children and the added family responsibilities, all of my children were/are involved with multiple sports and school activities. My hunting buddies and I still struggle to to get all of our schedules aligned. Sometimes I was/am able to hunt on the days I wanted, sometimes I was/am not. I survived!

So I really dont have a lot of sympathy for people who are complaining.

Good luck, Tony
Quote:
Quote:
And the guys that like the Monday opener don’t have these issues?
EVERYONE has issues.

The point is STOP complaining about the change and understand that everyone has work and family obligations. The PGC will never be able to accommodate everyone's personal agenda.

Good luck, Tony
that exact line of thinking applied before this change. Which is exactly why it should not have been done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:40 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
EVERYONE has issues.

Good luck, Tony
Really, who is complaining? The most I see are the guys that support Saturday and starting threads like this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Really, who is complaining? The most I see are the guys that support Saturday and starting threads like this.
Without counting I would say you are in the top 3, but you do have a lot of catching up to do with the resident champ.

Actually if you look back over the new topics since the vote you will see that the FACT is most were started by a few members COMPLAINING about the change.

Good luck, Tony
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater View Post
I have been doing some thinking on this issue for some time. Yes, I was against it moving it! Yes, I like tradition that Pa. has offered for many years. I do feel hunting is a tradition and when you loose some of the tradition what do you have. I have a Pa. camp and from where I live here in Md. its a 55 minute drive. I to have thought what will I do on Sat. night drive home or sit around cabin all day on Sunday waiting for Monday. I was talking to my good friend that is a retired WCO from Pa. and he told me he could care less either way but keep in mind Pa. hunters do not like change. Remembering back as he told me and I remember as well when AR went in to effect. Everyone was against Alts ( not sure of spelling ) and later he had to wear a bullet proof vest by choice. Pa. hunters did not like this change but now later most do. A couple of years a go the " X " bow ordeal and now everyone pretty well has one. In reality we might not like change but we have no choice at times. I hardly think everyone is going to boycott the PGC and not buy this years license out of protest. Im now here to say I had my opinion disagreed with the change, and now time to move on. Instead of taking grocery's to camp on Sat. I will be hunting and enjoying a new era.
I find the whole "what am I going to do now, head home on Saturday night or have to sit around all day Sunday waiting for Monday" to be very odd and. From what many of the camp guys say they go up to camp on Friday or Saturday ahead of the Monday opener, so you're up there already sitting around waiting on Monday. So how much difference is there?

I also hear the complaints of "we usually visit the other camps" or have "a big card game" and now that's all gone. Really? We can't figure out how to hunt Saturday, have the big card game Saturday night and visit with the other camps on Sunday? And now when you visit each other you'll be admiring a nice buck somebody got on Saturday? Doesn't seem so terrible to me.

And BTW, I'm a PA hunter and I was always in support of Dr. Alt, so not every hunter was against it.
Tony300wby and Vonfoust like this.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I also hear the complaints of "we usually visit the other camps" or have "a big card game" and now that's all gone. Really? We can't figure out how to hunt Saturday, have the big card game Saturday night and visit with the other camps on Sunday? And now when you visit each other you'll be admiring a nice buck somebody got on Saturday? Doesn't seem so terrible to me.
Personally I like the down time AFTER a full day of hunting, so hunting Saturday then off Sunday I dont see being a problem. Sunday also gives the successful hunters time to process their deer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
And BTW, I'm a PA hunter and I was always in support of Dr. Alt, so not every hunter was against it.
I agree.

Good luck, Tony
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:37 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Ive said this before in a different way that was misunderstood.

I started hunting nearly 60 years ago. In that state we had Monday openers, one week of bucks only, and one "doe day" the following Wednesday drawn by lottery. Translation:
Unless my grades were straight A (they never were) it was Saturday only.... and after the deer had figured out the season was on.

Fast forward: Not enough senority accured to get "buck week" off, so Saturday again. Cant wait till I can get buck week off.

Today? The newbie just starting out, maybe with a wife and child will THIS YEAR get to hunt opening day!, And with all the seasons open now will likely be able to hunt more times in the weeks/months that follow!

Today Im retired, disabled, and howling with joy over the changes making it better for the new guys, and some of us disabled guys who qualify to "use a vehicle as a blind".

Sometimes, change is good

Heaven has a gate, walls, and strict immigration policy.... enough said.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock hunter View Post
Ive said this before in a different way that was misunderstood.

I started hunting nearly 60 years ago. In that state we had Monday openers, one week of bucks only, and one "doe day" the following Wednesday drawn by lottery. Translation:
Unless my grades were straight A (they never were) it was Saturday only.... and after the deer had figured out the season was on.

Fast forward: Not enough senority accured to get "buck week" off, so Saturday again. Cant wait till I can get buck week off.

Today? The newbie just starting out, maybe with a wife and child will THIS YEAR get to hunt opening day!, And with all the seasons open now will likely be able to hunt more times in the weeks/months that follow!

Today Im retired, disabled, and howling with joy over the changes making it better for the new guys, and some of us disabled guys who qualify to "use a vehicle as a blind".

Sometimes, change is good
Its great to read a positive post like yours.

Good luck, Tony
JasonN likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:42 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEALHNTR View Post
When it comes to slingin' bull snort Trump is the king. I do know at this point I've heard enough.
Are we still talking about the Saturday opener?
srr5008 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page