closing of gameland gates - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 67Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Syd
Regular Visitor

closing of gameland gates

I'm frustrated with the PGC closing the access gates to gamelands after the late deer seasons in the northeast part of the state. There are plenty of small game,predator, and trapping seasons still in when this occurs. I think its totally wrong and unfair to hunter/trappers that still want access. Its like we're catering to deer hunters. I buy every license that the PGC sells yet can't access gamelands when I want to use them. I've voiced my concerns to several WCO's and a few commissioners and got no where yet. I'm going to try to get a few politicians involved to help with this matter. We pay for these lands as well as the salaries for the WCO's that are locking the gates and should have access year round. Anyone else having the same problems in their areas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

I’m the opposite. I only shed hunt or spring gobbler hunt that time of year. Behind Closed gates is where i start looking for antlers.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:28 PM

I consider it a privilege that they're ever open. PGC doesn't have the money to maintain so much road. Gates help stop dumping and illegal camping.
RyanR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd View Post
I'm frustrated with the PGC closing the access gates to gamelands after the late deer seasons in the northeast part of the state. There are plenty of small game,predator, and trapping seasons still in when this occurs. I think its totally wrong and unfair to hunter/trappers that still want access. Its like we're catering to deer hunters. I buy every license that the PGC sells yet can't access gamelands when I want to use them. I've voiced my concerns to several WCO's and a few commissioners and got no where yet. I'm going to try to get a few politicians involved to help with this matter. We pay for these lands as well as the salaries for the WCO's that are locking the gates and should have access year round. Anyone else having the same problems in their areas?

I like the idea that some gates get closed for safety sake and for the roads themselves. I usually hike back in every month just to look for tracks and enjoy the hike. Waugh!
RyanR likes this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Syd
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
I consider it a privilege that they're ever open. PGC doesn't have the money to maintain so much road. Gates help stop dumping and illegal camping.
Privilege? We bought these lands remember? The point here is the roads are open during deer seasons but not late winter hunting and trapping seasons. The dumping debate is useless because people can dump during deer season when the gates are open. Plus during the winter the roads or ground is froze which helps with wear and tear on roads. Many states across the country have year round access on public hunting lands. We should also.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:51 PM

The gates aren't preventing you from accessing public land. I park at them all the time and hike back. We should be happy that they open them at all. Even when they are open i still park along the road and walk.
Marcus99 likes this.

4B
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:59 PM

Many of those roads would not stand up well to traffic use for extended periods of times. There would be a significant cost in maintenance by the PGC if they kept them open all year. It is legal for you to use a bicycle which would help you quickly traverse the terrain.
Marcus99 likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Syd
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
The gates aren't preventing you from accessing public land. I park at them all the time and hike back. We should be happy that they open them at all. Even when they are open i still park along the road and walk.
You're right.....however the point here is the roads are open for a select group of hunters and not everyone. The PGC is hanging its hat on the OPPURTUNITY phrase. OPPURTUNITY for everyone except the late winter hunters. As for the walking back in topic......when your hound hunting or trapping time is valuable. Access saves time. I'm the last guy to complain about walking since I cover more ground in a winter then most guys do in 10 winters but the gates should be open while hunting seasons are open.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Syd
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
Many of those roads would not stand up well to traffic use for extended periods of times. There would be a significant cost in maintenance by the PGC if they kept them open all year. It is legal for you to use a bicycle which would help you quickly traverse the terrain.
Another 2 months in the winter is going to do nothing to the roads. Did you ever trying carrying hounds or trapping baskets on a bike? If hunting seasons are open then the gates should be as well.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:16 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
The gates aren't preventing you from accessing public land. I park at them all the time and hike back.

Maybe some of us are not physically able to walk in. Most of the older guys have been paying for those game lands a lot longer than the physically fit guys. We should be able to use them.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page