Winds of "change" - Page 4 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:02 PM

Traditions are made every day regardless of what someone says on a hunting website. Traditions do not care about ones personal beliefs about hunting regulations. Hunting within the regulations is hunting. Most hunters choose to hunt regardless of others opinions. Traditions should be carried on and accepted regardless of change. Tradition in any sense should be fluid and not stale or static. Tradition should be hunters always making the best of anything that comes their way and not complaining about change. Im confident most hunters would never disrespect great change as we are seeing now from our great commissioners. Im sure some will disagree and not agree with them. But we are all entitled to our opinions right?
JasonN, RyanR and Mussgrass like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:26 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahack View Post
Wow... never knew they played there!
Gonna say around 1996. Both were on the back side of their careers. Hey, I saw Queensryche and Randy Travis at Penns Peak.
Pahack likes this.
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:59 PM

What perplexes me is the phrase " People who hunted on Monday will NOT be able to do it now that Saturday will be the 1st day". If you always hunted on Monday why can't you still hunt on Monday?
I'm not talking about tradition, I'm not talking about how it was, I'm not talking about the holiday preceding, I'm not talking about any of that, my questions is very simple " If you hunted on Monday in the past, why can't you "physically" hunt on Monday now?"
Mussgrass likes this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:13 PM
Part of the Community

If you don't like it, don't do it!

Integrity is doing the right thing...even when no one is watching. C.S.Lewis
It's hip to be square. Huey Lewis
"Lady" Jerry Lewis
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIGHT POINT View Post
What perplexes me is the phrase " People who hunted on Monday will NOT be able to do it now that Saturday will be the 1st day". If you always hunted on Monday why can't you still hunt on Monday?
I'm not talking about tradition, I'm not talking about how it was, I'm not talking about the holiday preceding, I'm not talking about any of that, my questions is very simple " If you hunted on Monday in the past, why can't you "physically" hunt on Monday now?"
They aren't saying they can't still hunt on Monday. They are saying that they can not hunt "the opening day" if "THE" opening day is Saturday.

There is a difference, in fact there is huge difference for many. Most casual hunters don't recognize or understand the difference though.

Dick Bodenhorn
bigguy54 and pchunter1231 like this.
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:44 PM

About all of the dedicated hunters I know are willing and will make this work, even the camp guys I know. The hunters I know are not blowing up and complaining. They are not flocking to hunting websites to complain about a regulation/day change. They are not saying the PGC destroyed their traditions. The hunters I know just adapt and go hunting even if they cant hunt Saturday. They will still be in a stand hunting every day they can regardless if they shoot a deer or not. Why? because they love to hunt. Proud and glad I have fellow hunters like that around me.
EIGHT POINT, JasonN and Mussgrass like this.
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
They aren't saying they can't still hunt on Monday. They are saying that they can not hunt "the opening day" if "THE" opening day is Saturday.

There is a difference, in fact there is huge difference for many. Most casual hunters don't recognize or understand the difference though.

Dick Bodenhorn
No, There are replies through pages and pages of different threads that say " I can't go hunting now since they moved the 1st day to Saturday". Heck, you got people on here "insinuating" that they will sell their camps now.....
Can you please let me know what those "huge" differences are ?
Also, what is the cut-off between casual hunters and what I am guessing are the more serious hunters out there for lack of a better term?

PS: I always look forward to, appreciate and learn from your replies regarding the interpretation of the game laws with your service. But I think we may butt heads here on this topic

post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIGHT POINT View Post
No, There are replies through pages and pages of different threads that say " I can't go hunting now since they moved the 1st day to Saturday". Heck, you got people on here "insinuating" that they will sell their camps now.....
Can you please let me know what those "huge" differences are ?
Also, what is the cut-off between casual hunters and what I am guessing are the more serious hunters out there for lack of a better term?

PS: I always look forward to, appreciate and learn from your replies regarding the interpretation of the game laws with your service. But I think we may butt heads here on this topic
Quite simply their is only one opening day. It is "THE" opening day. "THE" opening day is when the odds are the highest of not only seeing the most deer but is also the highest harvest day of the season. That means it is "THE" most likely day to harvest a buck.

Any day of the season that is not "THE" opening day is just a day of the deer season though sometimes "THE" Saturdays also get the "THE" designation because they too have had special meaning to hunters in the past.

Anytime something is prefixed with the word "THE" it has more meaning to people than when it is prefixed with the word a.

The opening day of deer season has always been prefixed with the word "THE" so it is special compared to someone who simply says I hunted a few days of deer season.

The difference between casual and obsessive hunters are that casual hunters will hunt when they get time and it fits into their schedule. Obsessive hunters will change everything else in their schedule so as not to miss "THE" opening day. Obsessive hunters might change employment if they can't get "THE" opening day off for more than a season or two. Obsessive hunters might get divorced if their spouse interferes with hunting "THE" opening day.

The short answer is there is only one "THE" opening day each season. It has special meaning for many. But, as I said casual hunters don't understand that.

Each person has to figure out for themselves where they fit into that equation and definition.

Dick Bodenhorn
jimbridger and Nightblaster like this.
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:19 PM

The million dollar word. THE
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:52 AM

The word "THE" is used before an adjective used substantively to indicate either a class or an abstract idea.
An example would be : Harry Kalas who was the voice of the Phillies had one of his iconic phrases " Chase Utley, you are the man !"
Using the word "a" instead of "the" would not be proper grammar when followed by an adjective.

I do agree with you that a lot of the opposition is about one's odds of harvesting a deer. You are only the 2nd person who has posted a reply to me who has confessed this.
I believe many did not even though they truly felt this way out of fear of being labeled selfish for lack of a better term.

I consider myself to be an avid outdoorsman. You use the words obsessive and casual. I will change my schedules to make time to hunt BUT I will not put hunting before my marriage or family responsibilities.
My wife has never put any restrictions on my outdoor hobbies but then again I am not blind to my responsibilities to her or our kids. So I guess that puts me somewhere in the middle.
If it's an indication of how many days I spend afield, my freezer is full of venison, pheasant, squirrel, trout and salmon so I guess I'm getting out enough...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in