In general.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

In general....

...some Pa hunters when "change" is mentioned....

Disclaimer: Its a joke. We're too tense. Just trying to ease the tension a bit...
JasonN and elk yinzer like this.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:09 AM

I was summarizing the whole issue to my wife last night while giving the kids a bath. She's not a hunter at all and didn't grow up particularly close to the "THE TRADITION".

We don't talk about hunting specifics much, it was the first time we really broached the subject. So I was kinda filling her in how our Thanksgiving weekend would change a little bit, but I wouldn't have to necessarily take Monday off anymore. I said I was kind of mixed because I would miss the old routine, but this was clearly better logistically. She thought it was great.

I told her a lot of the old timers were upset about it. Her perplexed response was "You mean you get another Saturday day to hunt and people are getting upset about it?". I just cracked up, it was rich comedy. She was truly bewildered. She understood when I explained some more of the specifics about this tradition stuff and what it entailed.

Last edited by elk yinzer; 04-10-2019 at 11:22 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:39 PM

I told my wife about the Saturday change and she didn't like it. Thats the day we always get our Christmas tree and put it up.
I didn't tell her yet that I'm heading to Ohio for Monday Tuesday cause I still have off.
Rifle season for me is taking my daughter or my wife if they want to go. Usually done in bow season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:11 PM

My wife wasn't thrilled with the change. She does hunt but only because I can't take both boys at once....she'll stop when the oldest can hunt on his own. That said, she's particularly irked because the season now opens on her birthday this year....and she "can't wait to spend it with all the guys at camp"....black balloon party this year too!
Buckethead and GSP66 like this.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I explained it to my 2 bird dogs last night and they were not happy because it meant they were losing a day of bird hunting. They are currently working on a very strongly worded letter to the PGC congratulating them on this boondoggle they have perpetrated.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.

Last edited by RyanR; 04-10-2019 at 01:18 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I explained it to my 2 bird dogs last night and they were not happy because it meant they were losing a day of bird hunting. They are currently working on a very strongly worded letter to the PGC congratulating them on this boondoggle they have perpetrated.
My dog still curses Lisa Williams for her boondoggle eliminating the best part of grouse season. She doesn't care for ticks and rattlers and fledgling birds either; we were cold weather buds and Lisa murdered our tradition.
GSP66 likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:57 PM
Regular Visitor

I told my wife about the change. She said she didn’t care because she always shoots her deer in archery and that if only effect me because I never kill a buck in archery. She burnt me good!
Buckethead, JasonN and loridr like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Antler View Post
I told my wife about the Saturday change and she didn't like it. Thats the day we always get our Christmas tree and put it up.
I didn't tell her yet that I'm heading to Ohio for Monday Tuesday cause I still have off.
Rifle season for me is taking my daughter or my wife if they want to go. Usually done in bow season.
put your tree up the day before thanksgiving. or maybe Sunday, or after you come home from Ohio. Or the next weekend as your hunting in Ohio takes precedence. Regardless if you get done in bow season Im sure your family will still be there and put the tree up as a family when you are done hunting.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:29 PM

Sat opener is 2 days earlier, 2 days closer to the peak of the rut, meaning a slightly better chance of seeing some rutting activity. Not a big deal, but still another positive for hunters.

I told our cat about the sat opener, no response.

2 weeks of rifle season is ruining the flintlock season
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:36 PM

Just to prove that people can adapt to changes. Just got notified today that my niece moved her wedding day which was supposed to be the Saturday after Thanksgiving. She doesn't hunt but her soon to be husband does and so does alot of the family. They are moving it to the Saturday before the archery opener.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page