Hello from W-B - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Sjp521

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Hello from W-B

Long time reader, first post. With all the brouhaha over the change to the opening day of firearms deer season happening, I tried to research what the opening day was prior to 1963. Couldn’t find anything. Anybody know what it was?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Pretty neat tid bits here:

https://www.troyareasd.org/cms/lib04...Management.pdf

1869 - New deer season set: September 1 to December 31.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:55 PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjp521 View Post
Long time reader, first post. With all the brouhaha over the change to the opening day of firearms deer season happening, I tried to research what the opening day was prior to 1963. Couldn’t find anything. Anybody know what it was?
At one time the deer season started on Dec.1 no matter what day it fell on. During I believe the 1950's it started to begin on a Monday, Not always the Monday after Thanksgiving, sometimes a week later. The season started on Dec. 3rd. a couple times which was the 2nd Monday after Thanksgiving but that would usually happen when Thanksgiving was at it's earliest date. November 22nd.

Doing my own checking I asked many of the old guys at the camp when the deer season began All of them said that it was always a Monday & most of the time it was the Monday after Thanksgiving Though as stated above not every year. I confirmed this with the bucks that were taken by the camp since 1953. My Uncle was very meticulous about putting the name of the hunter that shot the buck & the date it was shot on the plaque with the antlers. By taking these dates & checking the calander for the year the deer was shot confirmed this. Any buck shot with a November date meant that the Monday after Thanksgiving was the start of the season. that is since 1953.

1962 was the last year that the season did not start on the Monday after Thanksgiving it started on Dec. 3 that year. Since 1963 it has been the Monday after Thankgiving.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Mike M.; 04-10-2019 at 08:16 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thank you for the replies. It just got me thinking about when I was a kid and my Dad
would come home from a day of deer hunting, remembered it was around Thanksgiving not necessarily the Monday after. I was born in 52 so the first year I actually went out was probably 64 and it was the Monday after.
Pahack and Waynzee like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page