Saturday opener was approved - Page 7 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 432Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:55 PM

They are on a roll today. First they passed Saturday opener and raised doe allocation in some WMU's. Kill them all boys. SMH
Wingatchtochwilsit likes this.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
again the point is missed.

I’m sure those days do meant a lot to those students. But college is temporary. Why should those days mean more than the traditions with family and friends that were destroyed of forever alter by this change. How does giving those 4 days make hunting in pa better for EVERYONE.
Those traditions are only "destroyed" if those involved decide to change/destroy them.

Man, you'd swear the PGC just held a gun to every hunter's head and said "Thou shalt hunt 11/30 or die!" [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/images/Huntingpa_toucan/smilies/tango_face_plain.png[/IMG]
One more time for anybody who can’t grasp the simple concept .....

IT IS ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE TO CONTINUE A TRADITION BUILT AROUND A MONDAY OPENER IF THE OPENER IS NOT ON MONDAY
Brent20 likes this.
post #63 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:00 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
Know quite a few friends with kids in college who will now go to camp Friday hunt deer all day Saturday head back to college Sunday. Many have finals that week and no way they were cutting examS. A BIG plus!!!! In addition, even those local college kids(commuters) can now hunt locally on Saturday!!! Wish this woulda been in effect many moons ago when I was in college. It ripped me big time to miss Opening Day Deer Season 4 years in a row.
I went college for 4 years and never missed an opener. It's all about what you make a priority.

Almost all colleges have finals the second week of December. So, it was really only missing a day of classes.

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
They are on a roll today. First they passed Saturday opener and raised doe allocation in some WMU's. Kill them all boys. SMH
Raised them in all but 9... (includes a few held constant)

I have no problems with this... clearly means the biologists aren't concerned...

Guess I'll be adding that 2nd deep freeze this year...
bigguy54 likes this.

Last edited by Wingatchtochwilsit; 04-09-2019 at 03:57 PM. Reason: missed one unchanged WMU....
post #65 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post

They raised the allocation in 2F by 8k tags! That's a welcome increase from my point of view. I'm sure the big woods hunters won't be thrilled with that, but I hope I can get two doe tags out of it! I'm in the very southern end of 2F and it's all farm country, over-run with deer, no resemblance to the big woods of the ANF that comprises almost all of 2F. It sucks to be in the same bracket with that type of habitat when it's not even remotely similar. I could kill eleventeen deer and not even notice yet I can only get ONE 2F tag for years. Which is why we get DMAP tags for our property as well. It helps, but it's still not enough.
Buckethead and OAWC like this.
post #66 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:04 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822 View Post
I went college for 4 years and never missed an opener. It's all about what you make a priority.

Almost all colleges have finals the second week of December. So, it was really only missing a day of classes.
Some students do not bring cars due to the cost of parking or other reasons. Also, some colleges have a strict firearm policy which do not allow firearms on campus, fortunately for me, my college allows me to keep mine at the police station.
post #67 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:04 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
One more time for anybody who can’t grasp the simple concept .....

IT IS ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE TO CONTINUE A TRADITION BUILT AROUND A MONDAY OPENER IF THE OPENER IS NOT ON MONDAY
Let me simplify this for you. I have two sides of family. One family we celebrate Thanksgiving on Thursday. The other side we celebrate Thanksgiving on Friday. But wait???? Thanksgiving is on Thursday. How do we ever manage???? That's our TRADITION. If your tradition was hunting Monday make Monday YOUR TRADITIONAL OPENER! A tradition is what YOU make it.
kdvarmint and Kwing like this.
post #68 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
yeah and they don’t answer questions when directly asked either. Keep dreaming.

The PGC just spit in the face of hundreds of thousands ok life long hunters
Maybe they spit in your face but I don't know you and weren't standing next you when they did so who cares? I don't.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #69 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
again the point is missed.

I’m sure those days do meant a lot to those students. But college is temporary. Why should those days mean more than the traditions with family and friends that were destroyed of forever alter by this change. How does giving those 4 days make hunting in pa better for EVERYONE.
No, I did not miss the point at all. You wanted to claim that those 4 days added up to nothing - which is false.

Yes, this decision will result in some traditions being "destroyed", some traditions will be altered, and plenty of new traditions will be created.

The important thing is that all PA deer hunters have an additional day to maintain the tradition of chasing whitetails in PA (with any weapon of choice)....the extra stuff on the side will settle into place.

Allowing more people a chance (and an additional day) to hunt deer season does benefit hunting in PA for everyone....how could it not? Please cue the "it's not worth the cost of changing the opener" response....which is an opinion that is not held by all hunters in PA, as some hunters do not see a cost at all.
post #70 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:08 PM

Traditions end, new ones begin. If this allows more people to be in the woods on opening day, I'm all for it. Also, I feel a major reason why the PGC did this was to put pressure on our legislators to allow Sunday hunting. Great job PGC.
kdvarmint likes this.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” C.S. Lewis
NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
WCO David Grove, LODD 11/11/10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page